Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 12:48 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We are a free people and people freely chose to panic and hike up the demand for gas at a time when the distribution of gas was being obstructed.
Snark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill
If everyone just got what they needed....there would be little to no shortage.

And the subtext is that you or someone else can and should judge what others need. Need isn't up to you to define, collectivist.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:49 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How long do you think you can store gas? Hint..not as long as it takes the mice to get into the hoarded TP..
This is why price gouging is good.

You can’t HOARD toilet paper and gas because you can’t afford to.

Without price gouging, essential goods get sold out within an hour.

We all saw the toilet paper hoarders last year, as if covid gives you diarrhea. One day the world will look at how dumb the human race is for using toilet paper when Bidets do the job just fine.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s more than a tad creepy that you, a complete stranger to me, are attempting to calculate my fuel needs here with this bit. The internet may have given you Google, which makes you a genius I’m sure, but it hasn’t given you a glimpse into my personal life. You aren’t entitled to those details.

And yea, I DID top off my ‘66 Mustang. And I’ve driven it several times since. Quelle horror!
I'm not calculating your fuel needs. You are misunderstanding.

The post where you talked about the gas you 'stashed' was not one saying -- oh dear -- we NEED this gas so we better get some so we can do what we NEED to do.

I merely was trying to explain why someone may get a little emotional when they are struggling.

And just to let you know -- Saturday morning they were telling us it was the east coast -- you were never at risk for not getting gas.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Your message is that I should care how you live and should modify my behavior to suit what's best for you. That's a mistake. I don't care. Stop whining.
No. My message is stop being a hoarder. No one likes hoarders. No one.

That you feel the need to justify how much you don't give a damn about anyone around you says way more about you, none of it good, than anything I've said.

I'm not the only one the hoarders screwed over. They have affected a lot people's livelihoods,not just mine - and then want to p*$$ and moan when they have to bail them out some time down the road.

Your hoarding affects you, too. You'll just snivel and whine about that, later though, when you fail to understand how being greedy, when there was no reason for it, does impact your life.

This isn't Armageddon. This was to last possibly one week, and yet hoarders out there acting like it's the end of the world.

Trust me on this: Were this indeed the end of the world, hoarders will be the first ones hunted.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
To them this is an outrageously anti-social statement. One that should be rebutted with shaming, shouting and labelling. It used to be just a basic American tenet.
No it's creating more chaos when we don't need more chaos.

It's common sense.

Saturday morning the directive was clear......the east coast would be impacted and that the consumers should not panic

I don't think anyone should feel shamed unless they were jerks buying more than they need....
They will blame anyone and everyone for the crisis except people like them who panicked and bought more gas than they need.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:58 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
I'm not calculating your fuel needs. You are misunderstanding.

The post where you talked about the gas you 'stashed' was not one saying -- oh dear -- we NEED this gas so we better get some so we can do what we NEED to do.

I merely was trying to explain why someone may get a little emotional when they are struggling.

And just to let you know -- Saturday morning they were telling us it was the east coast -- you were never at risk for not getting gas.
I’m not misunderstanding a thing. You’re inserting yourself into a conversation between me and another poster, and using language like “stashing” to try and make my actions into something other than what they were. You aren’t as clever as you think.

I live in Texas. I stocked up on gas last Saturday when the story of the pipeline broke. As it turned out, we did not have shortages here. But I was prepared for them. There is no shame in that for me. This post-crisis shaming is a futile, petty act. Find more important issues to busybody your way into.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're dealing with people to whom consideration and empathy is weakness. They cannot fathom the world in any other terms than either giving it or getting it. Cooperation or mutual benefit? That's just signs of someone not taking full advantage of their position.

One wonders what the world did to them.
A hectoring message of demand for others to help them through life gets an answer of "No I don't think I will." and your ilk predictably spins it as a lack of empathy. The ones who are always wanting love to call it "cooperation". One hand out for free $hit and the other upraised in a militant fist.

BTW the world has been entirely neutral to me. I've expected nothing from it and it hasn't dropped off any presents at my door.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
We are a free people and people freely chose to panic and hike up the demand for gas at a time when the distribution of gas was being obstructed.

If everyone just got what they needed....there would be little to no shortage.
Exactly correct.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone should feel shamed unless they were jerks buying more than they need....
They will blame anyone and everyone for the crisis except people like them who panicked and bought more gas than they need.
Again ... you just scream collectivist busybody with your insistence on defining others' need. You just don't see yourself, do you? Do you see the slippery slope of someone else deciding what you need?

Old 05-13-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
During World War II, when gasoline conservation was a nationwide imperative, such a system as you're describing was implemented. The government decided that certain types of workers needed to be allocated "X" gallons of gasoline per week; certain others needed "Y" gallons per week, and so on. And they issued ration coupons that would grant them that much, but no more. Was there some under the table trading of those ration coupons going on? Probably. But overall, the system worked as intended.

But that was then, when job descriptions tended to be much more straightforward than they are now. In this day and age, do we trust the government to decide what each of us needs? If my job is deemed more essential to the national economy than yours is, then I get more coupons. But what if I can work from home, while you need to drive 12 hours a day? Is it fair that I get allocated a bunch of coupons that I don't need while you have to try and buy some under the table just so you can keep your job?

Really, the only way to do a "fair" system of rationing, absent an insane level of governmental intrusion into our driving habits and needs, is simply say that everyone gets "Z" amount of gallons per day (or week), period. This may mean that you have to gas up two or even three times a day instead of once; but at least you'd probably find open gas stations when you needed them.
We just went through a year of the government deeming which jobs were 'more essential' than others. What I do now is considered essential, after I lost my work that was considered 'non essential'.

Of course there would have been under the table trading. When I served in the military, I was stationed in Germany. We were given ration cards for certain products. Tobacco, coffee, liquor, and possibly something else, but I think it was only those 3.

I don't drink liquor, don't drink coffee, did smoke at the time. We would 'trade' our rations. Someone would be out of coffee rations, for example, so they would buy the smokes for me, I would buy the coffee for them as I had all of my coffee rations left, they had all of their cigarette rations left. BUT, it was still rationed, which meant no one could go beyond what was on their cards.

It worked.

I don't see why gas stations couldn't have done it, but they probably don't care as they just rake in all the money with everyone filling up until they run out. The problem is, when they run out of gas, they can go an entire day or two with no customers buying anything at all in their little store. So - who knows if they are losing money in some way, or breaking even.

Your last suggestion would actually work out pretty well for most people, I think. Everyone gets "Z" amount per day/week. At least that way, people who drive around all day, would be better able to at least come up with some type of plan to continue working.

As it is now, a lot of people can't get gas to keep working. For what I do, they are paying WAY higher right now BECAUSE they can't get enough drivers to fill the demand, because so many cannot get gas.

People want to hoard, and then wonder why they can't get their orders. They took all the gas.

I'm in NC - the lack of gas around here is apparently worse than in other states. It is BAD here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies