Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 06:30 PM

35,206 posts, read 17,123,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Hopefully, you did not personally pay for that turd...
In economic reality partly. Landmark did provide some scholarship funds. The rest was largely paid as part of a family member's RMD from 401K/IRA accounts. That reduces my wife's bequests, obviously. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. TANSTAAFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 PM

3,750 posts, read 1,449,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Virginia, see Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses before 11th grade as part of equity-focused plan (link) and CD thread Virginia eliminating accelerated math until 11th and 12th, and California, see In the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted at Math (link) are eliminating honors programs through Grade 10 and Grade 9, respectively. Excerpt:
One of two things will happen or both will happen:
  1. Parents who want their children to get a real education will pull their children out of public schools, further reducing support for school programs and budgets; and/or
  2. Japan, Singapore, Israel and China will laugh at us while they continue to educate their children.
All this while we emulate lemmings, destroying ourselves in the name of wokeness.
Crazy.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:07 AM

4,428 posts, read 1,719,565 times
Quote:
The thread was about Virginia only and did not discuss the general trend of trashing education in "penitence" for the police killing of a druggie during a struggle.
No, we had a thread about CA too. Lol.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Virginia has become increasingly more liberal in the last 10 years or so, and this last year has taken a sharp Leftist Turn. It is absolutely appalling that leftists, in their effort to paint everyone as “equal,” are suppressing and hiding the abilities of our brightest children. If I were a parent of a school-age child now, I would either put him or her in private school or, if that were unaffordable, move to a normal, non-liberal state.

Leftists have us in a race to the bottom.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 AM

20,178 posts, read 9,078,459 times
Basically all education levels have been dumbed down to accommodate the "underserved".

From kindergarten to Ivy League.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 AM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Well in the new Covid era and the ability to work from home....

Don't feel like paying 20k+ a year for private school?
Don't feel like paying 20k+ a year for property taxes on a home?

Feel free to join us in "fly over country" lol. Plenty of nice areas all over to choose from.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM

20,178 posts, read 9,078,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Virginia has become increasingly more liberal in the last 10 years or so, and this last year has taken a sharp Leftist Turn. It is absolutely appalling that leftists, in their effort to paint everyone as “equal,” are suppressing and hiding the abilities of our brightest children. If I were a parent of a school-age child now, I would either put him or her in private school or, if that were unaffordable, move to a normal, non-liberal state.

Leftists have us in a race to the bottom.
I left Virginia over a decade ago, couldn't take it anymore, and I was living in the richest town in the state.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:51 AM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Basically all education levels have been dumbed down to accommodate the "underserved".

From kindergarten to Ivy League.
Not sure what you're basing that off of but I can assure you the education my kids got was not even remotely "dumbed down" and they went to public schools and state universities.

I work with talented young new hires all the time, there are problems in some places but don't let the anecdotes from a country of 330mil. jade you.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:56 AM

35,206 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Quote:
The thread was about Virginia only and did not discuss the general trend of trashing education in "penitence" for the police killing of a druggie during a struggle.
No, we had a thread about CA too. Lol.
Link please? The reason I did not post this on the "Virginia" thread in the "Education" sub-forum is that my content was likely to be controversial. TOS, you know?

Old 05-10-2021, 08:04 AM

4,428 posts, read 1,719,565 times
Quote:
Link please? The reason I did not post this on the "Virginia" thread in the "Education" sub-forum is that my content was likely to be controversial. TOS, you know?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-students.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...id-people.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies