Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:30 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Another needless death that could have been prevented.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...d-2ebde5effe52

Quote:
An elderly woman is dead after four dogs attacked her in south Phoenix. Her neighbors told 12 News the dogs have been a problem and should’ve been taken away sooner.

Now, 77-year-old Maria Eliza Sebastian Ruiz’s family is left mourning her loss.

Her neighbors, who don’t want to be identified, said she was a “nice old woman.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 01:36 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
An average of 16 deaths each year due to dogs in the US. And average of 4.7 million dog bites per year in the US.

And every dog owner involved should lose everything they own and be charged with felony assault. Of course, in this woman's case, the dog owner should be charged with murder or at least negligent homicide.

If you are negligent enough to kill someone with a dangerous weapon, you need to be held responsible for it.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Kind of an unusual story.

To have several pit mixes who have "bitten" people when they've escaped their back yard is odd - usually, when a pit bites, it's funeral time or at least so horrific that it takes several adults to stop the attack.

Most pit bulls go their whole lives without ever biting anyone, but usually, when a pit bull does bite, it's a full-on to the death attack.

Wonder what the Staffys were mixed with. Herding breed, maybe?

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-08-2021 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 02:54 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Kind of an unusual story.

To have several pit mixes who have "bitten" people when they've escaped their back yard is odd - usually, when a pit bites, it's funeral time or at least so horrific that it takes several adults to stop the attack.

Most pit bulls go their whole lives without ever biting anyone, but usually, when a pit bull does bite, it's a full-on to the death attack.

Wonder what the Staffys were mixed with. Herding breed, maybe?
Pitt bulls bite a LOT and still don’t cause death. I know two people personally that were attacked and bitten, but they were not life threatening injuries. The dogs could have been a mix of all or any of these.

American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:15 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
An average of 16 deaths each year due to dogs in the US. And average of 4.7 million dog bites per year in the US.

And every dog owner involved should lose everything they own and be charged with felony assault. Of course, in this woman's case, the dog owner should be charged with murder or at least negligent homicide.

If you are negligent enough to kill someone with a dangerous weapon, you need to be held responsible for it.
Given how many dogs there are, that shows how safe they are, lol.

Imagine crime stats, a place with 48 million people and having only 16 murders?

Old 07-08-2021, 04:04 PM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I think we should have common sense dog legislation. These pit bulls are designed for the battle field and citizens should not be allowed to own them. They are nothing but a danger, a menace to people everywhere and should be banned before we have another regretful mass mauling attack. The Founding Fathers had no idea that such weapons of war would be produced and used for such deadly assaults on innocent humanity.

The owner of that weapon should be required to register that weapon in a Federal database, carry insurance and be held accountable for the crimes his weapon causes if it should get loose or is stolen.

That poor old woman did not have to die.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:08 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Pits and their mixes need to be banned in every state and anyone too stupid to understand their danger needs to read up on pounds per square inch, locking jaws and dog attack fatalities (surprise - most are not from Cocker Spaniels).

But it is not the dogs fault - they can't help what is in their DNA and they can't help having irresponsible owners. This often ends tragically not only for a human, but for the dog.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Pits and their mixes need to be banned in every state and anyone too stupid to understand their danger needs to read up on pounds per square inch, locking jaws and dog attack fatalities (surprise - most are not from Cocker Spaniels).

But it is not the dogs fault - they can't help what is in their DNA and they can't help having irresponsible owners. This often ends tragically not only for a human, but for the dog.
No doubt Pitbulls are more dangerous than other breeds. In 2019, they accounted for basically 70% of all attacks. I don't care if it's because of the owners or not. Those same owners are not going to be able to do the same thing with other less aggressive breeds. That's enough for me to know they need to be banned everywhere.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...EaAodEEALw_wcB

Old 07-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Pitt bulls bite a LOT and still don’t cause death. I know two people personally that were attacked and bitten, but they were not life threatening injuries. The dogs could have been a mix of all or any of these.

American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully.
Statistically, they're very low on the list of dogs that bite, actually.

I don't know what your situation is, but I've done a lot of work with Pit Bulls (at our city shelter, that's nearly 90% pit bulls) and the reality is, most pit bulls go their whole life never biting anyone but god help you if they decide you're prey.

Additionally, pit bulls almost never attack people who are actually threatening, as most other breeds do. Pit bulls attack the frail, pregnant women, old people, and little kids. Other dogs attack people who feel threatening to the dog.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post

I don't disagree that pit bulls cause the most severe injuries and municipalities should take a look at whether to limit their appearance in public.

But interestingly, Cocker spaniels are usually right up there in the very top of the list for biting children in the face. So there is that. And the usual scenario is the cocker spaniel is on grandma's lap, and the little one approaches grandma and wham. Bitten in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies