Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 06:46 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I cannot and will not dispute your own experiences. But I think it's noteworthy that you are referring to Palestinian families in the United States. Do you think that your experiences as a Jew would be as sanguine if you were dealing with Palestinian families in Gaza?
I have no idea. Maybe someone else can give some first hand testimonials. With all the strong opinion you’d hope there would be some experiences that contributed to their beliefs.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
How does this make you feel?

20 civilians dead overall. Just in one night after they were removing Palestinians from Jerusalem.

Republicans across the board like Ted Cruz, Meghan McCain, and Stephen Miller all tweeted out support for the Israeli strikes.

They love Israel and believe Israel should be put ahead of the USA.

But what do you kind folk think, does this bother you even a tiny tiny bit. Or did those children get what was coming to them?
Don't you think this was a setup by Hamas to make Israel look like the bad guy's. Hamas has been firing missiles(over 300) all day long into southern Israel . They know Israel will fire back ten fold. I'm no fan of Israel but I lay the blame directly on Hamas they have no regard for their own peoples lives.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why should Israel put more value on Palestinian women and children than Palestinian "men" (and I use that term very, very loosely) do? Why should Israel put herself at a tactical disadvantage because Palestinian "men" violate the most basic rules of war and of common decency? The mere act of hiding behind human shields warrants immediate death for those craven gutless cowards who do it. And the fact that they're their own women and children they're hiding behind . . . well, if you want to know why I'm opposed to the Palestinian position, that right there is one big reason.
Because it only ends up proving hamas right in the eyes of the Palestinians that peace with Israel is impossible and that they want to destroy Palestine. If Israel wants to win this conflict they need to win the hearts and minds of the Palestinians and make them realize that hamas is making their lives worse. Obviously it’s easier said than done, but I think it’s possible if Israel works with Egypt and Jordan.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:14 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Don't you think this was a setup by Hamas to make Israel look like the bad guy's. Hamas has been firing missiles(over 300) all day long into southern Israel . They know Israel will fire back ten fold. I'm no fan of Israel but I lay the blame directly on Hamas they have no regard for their own peoples lives.
I'm also a fan of defending your citizens. Israel has an obligation to fight back, and the West has an obligation to stop allowing so many Arab/Muslim schools to teach their kids to hate Jews, Christians, America, etc. The BS line after 9/11 was we'd antagonize them with a war. Problem is they already hate us because they're taught to from a very young age. We could save a lot of bombs if we stopped being so weak about this.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:29 PM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Pictured: Israeli boy, five, killed by Hamas rocket shrapnel that pierced the window of a fortified room he was hiding in

Ido Avigal, five (pictured), was fatally stuck by shrapnel after the building he was in with his mother was hit by a missile fired from Gaza on Wednesday night. In the building, found in the town of Sderot on the border with the enclave, seven people were hurt when it suffered a direct hit from a rocket.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shrapnel.html

Old 05-12-2021, 07:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

How would y'all feel if, say, the Brits and the French (two of the founding nations of this country) were still killing each other, and the US kept itself involved in the unrest/violence? What if the US provided, not only plenty of money, but military assistance to either country? In 2021.

How would you feel if Americans of either British or French ancestry were up in arms by the unrest overseas? What if a British American said they'd love to write "Eff you, mf'ers" on a British missile? What if there were threads on your online discussion board dedicated to the neverending war between the Brits and the French?
In 2021.

What would you think?
This just isn't a good analogy. I'm struggling to see Israel/Palestine through this lens and it isn't working. Neither Britain nor France has ever been to the brink of genocidal extinction. They don't share competing claims to a homeland that goes back 6,000 years and in no imaginable hypothetical scenario do the French make war by strapping on explosives and going forth to kill British civilians picnicking in Hyde Park. There would have to be an existential struggle between the Brits and French for this metaphor to work on a par with Israel vs Palestine. What I'm trying to say is that for people with connections to this thing, it's not academic. If your people are involved in this then it's to be expected that emotions will be high. I wouldn't describe it as hatred but let's just call it a highly focused will to survive and win. What your enemy reads on the nose of your bomb as it heads down into his rocket position isn't an important moral factor here.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:39 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
There can be some analogies made between Nazi Germany and Israel but it’s definitely not equivalent. I think a better equivalence is European colonialism and indigenous resistance. I think most people can recognize that the way the Europeans as well as the US acquired most of their land in the new world was unjust, sure there were many treaties made and land purchases made, but many of those treaties were later on broken, for instance the state of Oklahoma was originally meant to be a reservation for various native tribes from all over the US but obviously that got scraped. And from what I can tell most Americans don’t hate on the natives for fighting back and even committing massacres at times. We have just relegated that to the past and to be judged as a product of those times. However those same circumstances are playing out in the Levant where Jewish settlers moved in and displaced the original inhabitants and not only carved out a country for themselves but continue to encroach beyond their own recognized boarders. The Israelis have become to the Palestinians what the Philistines were to the Hebrews.

What has been done is done, and there is no turning back, but it sure has created an ugly mess.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:05 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The Palestinians picked this fight when they and the rest of the Arab world attacked Israel at its founding in 1948. The Israelis have tried to settle the conflict over the decades (remember the Oslo accords that allowed the formation of the Palestinian Authority? ) But the Palestinians will not accept the existence of Israel, and will not stop attacking it. If the only thing they'll accept is total victory, then they have to accept the possibility total defeat In the end Israel will have to inflict this on the Palestinians for this conflict to end.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:24 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Palestinians are equally intelligent people, unfortunately the educated ones often live abroad, working as doctors, engineers, and what not.
Nothing new; terrorist and warlike policies encourage brain drain. 19th Century Czarist Russia is a textbook example.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:36 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The Palestinians picked this fight when they and the rest of the Arab world attacked Israel at its founding in 1948. The Israelis have tried to settle the conflict over the decades (remember the Oslo accords that allowed the formation of the Palestinian Authority? ) But the Palestinians will not accept the existence of Israel, and will not stop attacking it. If the only thing they'll accept is total victory, then they have to accept the possibility total defeat In the end Israel will have to inflict this on the Palestinians for this conflict to end.
There's really no good guys in the conflict. It's just squabbling over land. Israel has been the occupying force in the West Bank since they invaded Egypt. No one will ever agree on who the initial aggressor was on that one between Egypt breaking the terms of their previous peace treaty and blocking Israeli shipping and Israel's pre-emptive strike. And that was just the immediate causes, you can keep going farther back for pretexts for this and that.

But then at this point nobody has any sovereign rule in the West Bank. It used to be Ottoman/Turkey. Then they decided they didn't want it so Jordan annexed it. Then Israel attacked Egypt which had a defensive pact with Jordan, kicked their butts, and Israel occupied it and has been since. The idea of some sort of de jure rule by Palestine is slapstick comedy. Israel and Palestine were both just British puppet states, a way for them to try and manage a territory they captured from the collapsing Ottoman Empire in WW1 that they did not want so they gave part of it to the Jews and made Israel and part of it to the Muslims and made Palestine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies