Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Has Florida led the way every step of this pandemic, considering it's population of 22 million, highly vulnerbale older, as well as the transient vacationers, snowbirds and seasonal renters.

Oh .. and it's been OPEN since May 2020.

Considering ALL those factors ... how's Florida been doing compared to states with full-on restrictions, no tourists and healthy demographics?
CA and Florida were polar opposites in terms of restrictions. FL ranks 27th in deaths per million and CA ranks 30th. Florida was right. CA was wrong.

NJ and NY remain the top two for deaths per million.

Last edited by MissTerri; 05-12-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 12:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Very elderly population and most have been vaccinated.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:46 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Um no.

What percent of the population was vaccinated and when?

How many weeks till "full protection"?

Your statement is a horribly wrong assumption.
Stop with the fear mongering. Even one shot gives protection. And millions of people have had covid.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:46 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The bodies weren’t piling up even before the vaccine
Meh.

CA and FL were equal what? 2 months ago?

Now it's:

Deaths per M:

FL 1671

CA 1578

What I would like to see is an excess deaths report for the states. I'm curious to see if they match reports of covid deaths.

FL is still beneath the national average for deaths, but they are chugging along with new cases at quite a clip.

Yesterday they had 3263 new cases and CA had 1497. I use them as a comparison because there was an article on how they had totally different reactions to the pandemic, with the same results. Those "same"
results lasted a short time before FL took off.

But no, FL is certainly not the worst state at this time or for the length of the pandemic in general.

An example of what to do? Not really.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-12-2021, 12:52 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,852,167 times
A model for how this should have been handled.

Really? FL is in the middle of the pack, with regards to death per capita, better than some, worse than others.

That number does not illustrate the rise and fall (pace) of these deaths, so you cannot determine if ALL local systems fared better or worse at moments during the pandemic. (In other words, at FL max simultaneous infections, was it or - or less - per capita than other places?) We also cannot what the max hospital occupancy (locally) ever was, or max ICU room use, or max available other medical resources - all of which are the only metrics useful for determining if a place did "better" or "worse."

I am not saying FL was a total crapstorm - and there is certainly room for discussion about how things did or didn't make a difference in a gradual sense - but in the end, except for the early states (NY/NJ) most places suffered fairly equally, and with a predictable path. If FL wanted to standout, they'd have the fewest cases per capita, instead of being 21st - so nearer the top than the bottom.

By any measure whatever, FL is in no position to take a stand on how to do things. Germany is.

(Here's where folks will throw something out there about jobs and economy and so forth...that's great...but this a world wide problem, so I'm keeping it to world-wide issues..which is mainly resources, not money. Not your money, anyway.)

Old 05-12-2021, 12:52 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,698,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
CA and Florida were polar opposites in terms of restrictions. FL ranks 27th in deaths per million and CA ranks 30th. Florida was right. CA was wrong.

NJ and NY remain the top two for deaths per million.
This is the ONLY way to compare the states. Deaths per million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh.

Yesterday they had 3263 new cases and CA had 1497. I use them as a comparison because there was an article on how they had totally different reactions to the pandemic, with the same results. Those "same"
results lasted a short time before FL took off.
Cases don't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh.

An example of what to do? Not really.
Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
A model for how this should have been handled.

Really? FL is in the middle of the pack, with regards to death per capita, better than some, worse than others.
As for as Covid goes sure, bet they had balance. They didn't wreck their economy and millions of lives in the process. They chose personal responsibility over fascist lockdowns.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:09 PM

8,050 posts, read 3,619,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
This is the ONLY way to compare the states. Deaths per million.

Cases don't matter.

Really.

As for as Covid goes sure, bet they had balance. They didn't wreck their economy and millions of lives in the process. They chose personal responsibility over fascist lockdowns.
1. Yes they do, since deaths are eventually proportional to the the number of cases (everything else equal). As is the number of people with serious long term health effects

2. Not that CA did a great job or anything, but currently Florida's 7 day running death average exceeds by more than a factor of 2 that of CA when adjusted for population.

3. For the most part, US didn't really have "lockdowns".

Old 05-12-2021, 01:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,820,693 times
"Florida ranked ninth among the states where coronavirus was spreading the fastest on a per-person basis"

I'm supposed to view that as a success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
AND they didn't stupidly destroy their own economy. Everything has been open with no mask mandate for a while.
What part of the economy was hurt with mask mandates? I'm trying to figure out where around here is supposedly "destroyed" as a result of masks. I can't find anything, help me out. What is so stupid about trying to save people's lives anyway? Everything is open here, I've been to bars, restuarants and movies... other than wait staff wearing masks its not really that different.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:15 PM

4,335 posts, read 1,656,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.gainesville.com/story/ne...ntgs/43916443/

For all the liberals who are so keenly interested in the "failures" of Florida, I figured I'd update you. And no, wearing useless cloth masks has nothing to do with the decline.
This is a good thing. No one wants Florida to die.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:19 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,850,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
It's been over a month since everyone 16+ could be vaccinated in Florida, I would think cases would only go down from here. Vaccinations = the end.
MAGAs are incapable of adding 2+2.

MAGAs: Vaccines are readily available now to anyone who wants it and now COVID cases are going down. But, gee, I can't for the life of me figure out why.

And the sad thing is, they really can't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies