Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 01:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Saying America is better than Russia, is not the same as saying America is perfect.
Saying people come here doesn't mean America is perfect and it's a dishonest statement to allude to me saying that. But that's your MO too often, make things up and deflect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How do you not understand simple concepts ?????
Why do you make things up over a simple statement when everyone can see your statement is absurd.

Why don't you care about the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 02:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Do the kid was educated in democratically controlled NYC and somehow the OP is making this into a GOP saved the kid.
Doesn't matter because one data point is meaningless in the scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
First get the GOP states like Mississippi and Alabama out from under the bottom of the barrel as far as education is concerned and then we can talk.
Our standing in education compared to the rest of the first world countries is a joke. Adjusted for cost of living we spend the the mot per student out of the 37 OECD countries yet we are barely average in reading and science and below average in math.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh wow. As a darkie from the ghetto you sold me. I'll be a Republican. That will show 'em.

Bwhahahahaha.

Priceless!!! Repped forever.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:48 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I am happy for that African kid. I'm glad he is succeeding. However, if his success is being used to thumb one's nose at Black Americans, it's being used for the wrong reasons.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
What's funny is that, in Europe and Asia, it's African Americans who are the most beloved "Black" group while Africans are almost universally reviled in a lot of countries. That's why I think it's kind of hilarious when certain Africans look down on AA's in the USA and I say this as someone who's dated a few and had some of these same "diaspora" conversations with.

It's kind of funny how that works out. And, truth be told, Africans are mostly only praised by certain Whites in the USA to snub AA's which is fine. I understand the statistics and what have you and the fact that Africans have largely been devoid of the historical friction between White and Black Americans in the USA which they also benefit from.

But, as soon as you go to Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, China, and Brazil, it's us Black Americans who are well-liked while Africans are so looked down on that many of them pretend to be AA to avoid discrimination.

Actually, now that I think about it, the USA might literally be the only country in the planet where Africans are praised more than African Americans.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The "norm" is stupidity and helplessness for blacks, then?

This is what you took away from that statement? Wow!

Old 05-16-2021, 06:53 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
What's funny is that, in Europe and Asia, it's African Americans who are the most beloved "Black" group while Africans are almost universally reviled in a lot of countries. That's why I think it's kind of hilarious when certain Africans look down on AA's in the USA and I say this as someone who's dated a few and had some of these same "diaspora" conversations with.

It's kind of funny how that works out. And, truth be told, Africans are mostly only praised by certain Whites in the USA to snub AA's which is fine. I understand the statistics and what have you and the fact that Africans have largely been devoid of the historical friction between White and Black Americans in the USA which they also benefit from.

But, as soon as you go to Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, China, and Brazil, it's us Black Americans who are well-liked while Africans are so looked down on that many of them pretend to be AA to avoid discrimination.

Actually, now that I think about it, the USA might literally be the only country in the planet where Africans are praised more than African Americans.
I've heard that. I've heard that in parts of Western Europe, American Blacks are liked more than Africans. I've spent some time in England. Maybe I didn't see everything, but the Africans I saw there seemed to be doing okay. Being a Black American myself, I never felt any hostility in England. While I was there, I was just an American. I spoke to some Black American troops who were stationed in England. According to them, they felt no hostility in England.

I find it more sad than hilarious that some Africans would look down on American Blacks. But that can happen in America. Africans living in America can be used as "model minority". Africans are Black, and therefore, some people who don't Black Americans can point to Africans and say "why can't you be like Africans? They're Black and they're successful". This is why Africans get praised more than Black Americans. Historical baggage and a desire to use someone as a "model minority".

Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've heard that. I've heard that in parts of Western Europe, American Blacks are liked more than Africans. I've spent some time in England. Maybe I didn't see everything, but the Africans I saw there seemed to be doing okay. Being a Black American myself, I never felt any hostility in England. While I was there, I was just an American. I spoke to some Black American troops who were stationed in England. According to them, they felt no hostility in England.

I find it more sad than hilarious that some Africans would look down on American Blacks. But that can happen in America. Africans living in America can be used as "model minority". Africans are Black, and therefore, some people who don't Black Americans can point to Africans and say "why can't you be like Africans? They're Black and they're successful". This is why Africans get praised more than Black Americans. Historical baggage and a desire to use someone as a "model minority".
I want to clarify that I have a lot of respect for Africans, including both immigrants to the USA and many natives in the continent.

And I do acknowledge that AA's as a whole do worse than African immigrants and we have more issues overall.

However, when you factor in the fact that a lot of immigration from Africa is selective and involves the top tier groups from those countries on top of the numbers disparity, it's not really a good comparison.

There's 40+ million non-immigrant Black Americans in the USA. Are many living in poverty and/or involved in bad lifestyles? Of course. But there's also plenty of educated and/or middle class AA's as well as professionals and college students. There's literally 10 times more of us than African immigrants.

So, while I do applaud them for their collective success in the USA, I think that's something that needs to be reiterated.

For certain White Americans who praise Africans as "better" or certain Africans that have a superiority complex, the USA is literally the only country on the planet where Africans are viewed as "superior" to AA's.

And even that's debatable considering the stereotypes Somali's used to face and the fact that AA's are highly influential in U.S. society to the degree that even those who look down on us can be influenced by us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies