Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:56 PM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am aware of the Eastland steamer tragedy, thanks. Bad regulations without input from qualified engineers are as bad as none. Doesn't mean that lifeboat regulations are a bad idea. It means that if you design your excursion ships in a way that precludes you from safely carrying safety equipment, your ships aren't well-designed for their purpose.

Cyber security is fairly well governed in areas where credit card information is used - because the banks have serious clout if you don't follow their rules (as in, they'll stop you processing credit cards). But similar rule sets are lacking in many other areas. And there seems to be no one willing or able to force compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:04 PM

929 posts, read 304,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Titanic going down was the first time White Star had an issue with the number of passengers vs. number of lifeboats.

Notice what we didn't do? We didn't lean back and say "Oh, the shipping lines will hire the right people and handle this issue." We passed a set of strict regulations that yes, you damn well better have enough lifeboats for everyone. And even made sure that the rules applied to all shipping lines, not just White Star.

People will die from this - probably already have.
Actually the official capacity of the lifeboats on the Titanic were more than the Board of Trade required at that time. Actually 23% more than the minimum required. The “” problem” was the regulation, not White Star.

Source”” page 47. The Titanic Conspiracy .. Robin Gardiner. And Dan Van Der Vat
Carol Publishing Group. 1995

Last edited by Speegleagle; 05-12-2021 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 01:21 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Just the beginning? This has been a massive ongoing issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cyberattacks

there are other major lists of cyber attacks on wiki, go look around.

Ransomware attacks like this one aren't that rare.
That's what I was going to say, you only usually hear about the big ones, but plenty of companies/businesses in the US get hit every year, especially hospitals.

I also think many businesses like to "keep it on the down low", so people tend not to know about it, which can give places a bad reputation or let people think, what morons, how did they let that happen!

Old 05-12-2021, 01:21 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am aware of the Eastland steamer tragedy, thanks. Bad regulations without input from qualified engineers are as bad as none. Doesn't mean that lifeboat regulations are a bad idea. It means that if you design your excursion ships in a way that precludes you from safely carrying safety equipment, your ships aren't well-designed for their purpose.

Cyber security is fairly well governed in areas where credit card information is used - because the banks have serious clout if you don't follow their rules (as in, they'll stop you processing credit cards). But similar rule sets are lacking in many other areas. And there seems to be no one willing or able to force compliance.
They had input from qualified people. They ignored it out of political fervor to "do something".

Your worldview is that regulation fixes things.

My worldview is that regulation is frequently designed "politics first", is oft marred by the interests of big pocket donors and in some cases is designed not so much as a solution but as a way to enrich specific businesses or hurt their competition.

Clearly we both understand the additional risk of unintended consequences which if they listened to the experts instead of their donors and polls wouldn't be so much of a concern.

Otherwise, I think we generally agree upon the overall topic and this company is going to pay dearly for their lax security as well they should.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Meanwhile, the feds are licking their chops on adding regulations.

Feds eye more oversight of pipelines after Colonial attack

The Biden administration and Capitol Hill are taking a closer look at the security in place for critical oil and gas utilities following the Colonial Pipeline shutdown.

Some officials have indicated that the ransomware attack on a pipeline that provides almost half of the East Coast’s energy may have unfolded as it did due to the relative lack of federal oversight of pipelines compared to other utilities.

“It is time to establish mandatory pipeline cybersecurity standards similar to those applicable to the electricity sector,” FERC Chairman Richard Glick and Commissioner Allison Clements said in a joint statement Monday.

“Simply encouraging pipelines to voluntarily adopt best practices is an inadequate response to the ever-increasing number and sophistication of malevolent cyber actors,” they said. “Mandatory pipeline security standards are necessary to protect the infrastructure on which we all depend.”

We don’t need more regulations. Let the company hire professionals to do what’s necessary to fix the problem. Or maybe Congress can work with them to figure out the best way to protect from further hacks. We don’t need more regulations.
None of that would have stopped what happened. This is on Biden's cyber security guy.
This was done by our own CIA. The globalist want total control of the energy. & oil. Venezuela here we come!
The push to bring the Oil Supply to government ownership, is being fast tracked.

These are all state issues, he is talking about. The state is sovereign and it is the states resources, not the centralized federal government.
The only thing the feds can do, is make sure when it crosses over state lines, there is no ongoing dispute, between the states.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:41 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
They had input from qualified people. They ignored it out of political fervor to "do something".

My worldview is that regulation is frequently designed "politics first", is oft marred by the interests of big pocket donors and in some cases is designed not so much as a solution but as a way to enrich specific businesses or hurt their competition.

Clearly we both understand the additional risk of unintended consequences which if they listened to the experts instead of their donors and polls wouldn't be so much of a concern.

Otherwise, I think we generally agree upon the overall topic and this company is going to pay dearly for their lax security as well they should.
Maybe. That or they'll get a bailout like the Government Motors and Chrysler, generous loan packages like Ford, most of the banking industry.

I mean we'll see. I don't know that the damage in this case was that high that they'd need to be bailed out. But the clearly would be. Unlike Chrysler which really isn't that important whether they get bailed out and then bought up or go bankrupt and bought up, other than to the banks that they borrowed money from and the shareholders, you definitely could make an argument that this pipeline is too big to fail. If they went bankrupt and it stopped operating for a few months it would have devastating impacts on the economy and not just whoever they owe money to and whoever owns stock. As much of a capitalist as I am, I don't know that I'm even enough of a capitalist to go oh well, market risks on that one.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:49 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:

Yep.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:57 PM

15,838 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Just the beginning? This has been a massive ongoing issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cyberattacks

there are other major lists of cyber attacks on wiki, go look around.

Ransomware attacks like this one aren't that rare.
I'm highly familiar, thank you. By "just the beginning", I was speaking figuratively. On the overall timescale, it is likely just the beginning.

Historically, what the overall trend reminds me of is privateering during the age of sail. The European powers made use of this tactic to inflict indirect damage to their naval competition. The motivations here are similar, except it's digital commerce that is being raided. The Russian government looks the other way while hackers safely harass their competition for profit. As long as they don't attack their government, they are likely to get away with it.

The only direct method we could employ would be bounties to take out the hackers. But I doubt it's legal under international law.

Last edited by rjshae; 05-12-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Please don't tell me what my worldview is. Regulation can help fix things. It's the last resort, if industries fail to self-regulate, because who the hell wants to deal with reporting to the government? But with some notable exceptions, cybersecurity is very far from self-regulating, and the number of devices that are controlled by some sort of network interface is increasing. Do we need to wait for a proper disaster?

Which is why you'll often find old IT guys like myself being complete Luddites in their own homes. I do not have a smart thermostat, or door lock, or refrigerator, nor do I plan on having one, ever. I don't know any other group of people who are so consistent on physically blocking their laptop cameras (The joke is that we'll shoot our printers for making a funny noise.)

What I'd like to see is a society of cybersecurity engineers forming a working group that would codify experiences and start publishing solid guidelines. As with civil engineers reacting to boiler explosions back when. Sadly, the nature of the subject makes it a bit of a bad idea to publish exactly the defensive steps you're taking. Plus, those guys are busy.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The only direct method we could employ would be bounties to take out the hackers. But I doubt it's legal under international law.
Going with the privateering example, we could help arm the merchantmen and even organize convoys with armed protection for those who wished for assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies