Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:16 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Late to respond and I only got to post #6 before needing to comment.

"He" as in Stonewall Jackson waged war??

I believe you have it backwards. Lincoln waged war. He ordered troops to invade Virginia in the First Battle of Bull Run. Although totally against Slavery myself if I was around back then, Lincoln started a War that led to over 620,000 Deaths.

And I just can't wait for those who want to jump on the Fort Sumter band wagon. What a poor excuse to start a war. No one even died there from enemy fire.
You should consider seeking out more accurate sources of information.

May want to consider Googling "Fort Sumter - Civil War."

Here, I'll get you started.

"The attack on Fort Sumter marked the official beginning of the American Civil War—a war that lasted four years, cost the lives of more than 620,000 Americans, and freed 3.9 million enslaved people from bondage."

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/c...es/fort-sumter

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sadly, when you start a war and then get your butt kicked big time, this is what happens.
I think you missed the point. Soldiers dont start wars.
So do you feel the same way about the soldiers who died in Vietnam, WWI, WWII, Afghanistan, etc.

Is your moto F*** veterans because thats what they get for starting a war.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
What were the causes of the Civil War? Why did the South secede?
The answers are here:

https://bestbookshub.com/best-civil-...%20the%20union.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
You should consider seeking out more accurate sources of information.

May want to consider Googling "Fort Sumter - Civil War."

Here, I'll get you started.

"The attack on Fort Sumter marked the official beginning of the American Civil War—a war that lasted four years, cost the lives of more than 620,000 Americans, and freed 3.9 million enslaved people from bondage."

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/c...es/fort-sumter

Good luck!
Way ahead of you. I've studied Fort Sumter for Years.

Let's look at the facts:

-Located in Confederate Territory

-Very low supplied

-Very low staffed

-Very politely asked the very few there to leave

-Very patiently waited for them to leave

-They even considered leaving, but was told not to.

-Not 1 death from enemy fire

For this you start a War??

You are going to compare this to marching into Virginia with Guns drawn wanting to Kill?

And kill they did.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
Quote:
Sadly, when you start a war and then get your butt kicked big time, this is what happens.
Yes the Party founded on anti-slavery(the Republicans), won.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:31 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Way ahead of you. I've studied Fort Sumter for Years.

Let's look at the facts:

-Located in Confederate Territory

-Very low supplied

-Very low staffed

-Very politely asked the very few there to leave

-Very patiently waited for them to leave

-They even considered leaving, but was told not to.

-Not 1 death from enemy fire

For this you start a War??

You are going to compare this to marching into Virginia with Guns drawn wanting to Kill?

And kill they did.
The Confederates still fired against the U.S. Army. Furthermore, WHY the Confederates wanted secession is another reason why I have no respect for Confederates. It was about making sure slavery stayed intact.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Confederates still fired against the U.S. Army. Furthermore, WHY the Confederates wanted secession is another reason why I have no respect for Confederates. It was about making sure slavery stayed intact.
I look at it through Virginia's eyes. You know the Northern Territory had slaves at this very same time. Without looking it up, I believe it was about 400,000. Maryland had 90,000 themselves. Virginia was trying to avoid conflict. In April of 1861, Lincoln called out for 75,000 troops to invade the South, wanting about 3,000 from Virginia alone. Virginia did not want to invade the South or anyone else. Therefore just 2 days after Lincoln's announcement of wanting to invade, Virginia seceded. Many were surprised at the word of invasion into Virginia and her brave soldiers met them to defend their homeland. In Defense, not Offense.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But here is one last question that may be a bit harder to know for sure... how many of the foot soldiers for the south do you think may primarily have been fighting "for their country" (or state) rather than "fighting for slavery"?

From some of the primary sources I have read through and some actual letters written by the soldiers to their families or wives, many of the men and boys on the ground were fighting that war because their government told them "the yankees" were invading.
Well, duh. That's war. Old rich bastards in power aren't going to tell the young men that they're dying so the old rich bastards can remain in power (and rich) for a little longer. That's a bit of a hard sell. So you tell them that Johnny Foreigner is coming to push you around. Goering had a good quote on that.

Quote:
Here's more food for thought: how many US soldiers in WWII were fighting for the cause of imprisoning Japanese-Americans in concentration camps?
Specious comparison. The US wasn't founded for the purpose of maintaining the institution of interning Japanese. The Confederacy was founded for the purpose of protecting slavery. We know this, because they wrote it down.

The average Johnny Rebel footsoldier was in some respects a victim, just like the kid who was raised in Hitlerjugend was. That's still no cause to treat the Confederacy and the Confederate cause with an iota of respect, because they deserve none.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
A memorial to slave-owning traitors who lost the American Civil War. Disgusting.

https://wpde.com/news/local/south-ca...ia%20in%201865.
There are more important things in life to get upset about. Get a life. Better than that silently pity the people if it upsets you and go about your own life as there is nothing you can do to change it. Too many people with too much time on their hands just love to sit and agonize all day about things they can't change.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:59 AM

I'll say another thing about the subject. If the North used their forces to form rescue efforts, going into the South to bring slaves to freedom and only fired back if and when fired upon, that would be a whole different story and I would had strongly agreed to it. But if they did do that at that time, they would be hypocrites. As the Northern Territory had about 400,000 slaves at that same time as mentioned earlier.

It may have well worked too. Look at the success of the Underground Railroad.

This, was a very complicated war though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies