Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being called a racial slur provide legal grounds to physically attack?
Yes 33 12.18%
No 238 87.82%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 05:31 AM

860 posts, read 438,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
As a Black man, I have been called the N word and "boy" several times with the majority of the perpetrators being White women! Other perpetrators were White men, Asian man and a few Hispanic men.

I truly understood the psychological reason why I was being "influenced" to think of myself as being inferior.

I did not internalize it but used it as motivation to become successful, get out of debt and stay out of debt, work for myself and focus on obtaining passive income as opposed to earned income considering that most of the incidents happened as an employee.

Other times, there have been several incidents upon shopping at a particular store. If it happened at a store, then, I made a mental note and obtained the employee's name and then wrote a letter to the store headquarters. Then, I did not buy anything from the store again!

One time it occurred at a automobile parts store. As I walked in, the very first thing the employee stated was "Boy, what you want?"

I looked the employee in the eye and walked out - driving about a mile to go to another auto parts store. Then, I wrote a letter to the owner of the first auto parts store and included a copy of my receipt of the merchandise that I purchased at the other auto parts store.

Interestingly, the auto parts store with the racist employee shut down within about 1 year.

I wondered if other Black potential customers had an issue with the store.

In conclusion, being called the N word or "boy" or other derogatory term is never a reason to respond with violence. One must use his/her intellect and not emotion and truly understand that some people need to degrade others to uplift themselves.

Channel the anger and adapt accordingly!
That’s the mature and responsible way to respond. Never lower yourself. Certainly never risk your future over someone who is ignorant or misinformed and who knows absolutely nothing about you. Especially over nothing more than a dumb word. Doing that allows the other person to win. Having enough respect for yourself in the first place is the key. People of any color, nationality or background who do that are “my people”. Too bad that’s not what being woke means.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:33 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wrong.

I’ve been called a racial slur by older men before (unprovoked). If I dared to put one finger on them, they would’ve just called the cops and I would’ve been hauled off to jail or had a warrant for suspected assault.

Racial slurs are just words, they have no meaning until you give them meaning by your reaction.

Do you expect an Asian or Jewish person to knock someone out over a racial slur? No? Then why do you expect black people to do it? Unless it’s purely self defense, assault is never correct.
Please learn to read for comprehension rather than to create unnecessary argument. Nowhere did my post state that the punch was correct. It stated that the man was appropriately charged. However, the fact is that there are people out here that do not handle such words well so you assume the risk by verbally attacking them.

Furthermore, every “Pujols” I know is Hispanic, generally Dominican. We are guessing what slur he was called but there is a small chance it might not be the typical insult for a Black person, especially if he had an accent or was speaking Spanish. Then again, if you call a Dominican a racial slur for a Black person, that likely might evoke the same response for atypical reasons.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:01 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It does mean they were free to fire you for cause for any non-compliance.
Yep... Never said they didnt. As a supervisor it was my job to support and enforce company policy. That doesn't mean that I agreed with it or believed in it because I absolutely did not. I notice that you yet again failed to answer an easy question. Do you really believe in that rhetoric that the customer is always right no matter what they say or how abusive they are? It's an easy question. If you don't that's fine because no sane person does.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Please learn to read for comprehension rather than to create unnecessary argument. Nowhere did my post state that the punch was correct. It stated that the man was appropriately charged. However, the fact is that there are people out here that do not handle such words well so you assume the risk by verbally attacking them.

Furthermore, every “Pujols” I know is Hispanic, generally Dominican. We are guessing what slur he was called but there is a small chance it might not be the typical insult for a Black person, especially if he had an accent or was speaking Spanish. Then again, if you call a Dominican a racial slur for a Black person, that likely might evoke the same response for atypical reasons.
Exactly. In the real world a man will walk right through that restraining order and beat his ex-wife to death. The law is a wonderful idea and when it works its great, but there are so many situations that the law just can't cover them all.

My right to punch you in the n one ends when my fist makes contact. I get that, I really do. I also understand that verbal attacks can trigger even the most calm person into aggressive behavior. Words do have consequences. Just like when that idiot talked about what kind of children My black son and asian daughter would produce. They were both minors. Im sorry but the sticks and stones speech that we tell our 5 year olds, falls a mile short, when they are in their teens and it is an adult doing it. They look to you the father to protect them.

I am guessing that many who side with the bigot also sided with the McMichaels. LOL

Old 05-13-2021, 06:23 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Takes guts to punch a 77 year old.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:55 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
1) Glad to hear there is video, that will help immensely for the courts to decide correctly.

2) I wish the old guy had just gotten a bloody nose out of the deal and not died. Not just for the benefit of the old man but the younger guy. If the younger guy has no priors then I'd hope the judge shows some leniency given the heat of the moment and the fact that just a single punch was thrown. If he has a history of assault then not so much.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:02 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,665,246 times
the old man should have been kicked in his ass for being that ignorant and mean so late in life..oh well, no more problems out of him..hope the black guy gets off easy..

Old 05-13-2021, 07:08 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Kind of scary if it is considered justified just due to a slur or insult. Wonder how many murderers will claim they were provoked by a word or two? With no proof even that the words were said, it could be the ultimate get out of jail free card. Amazing that we used to teach kids”sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” But now adults are free to physically assault someone because of words? And yes, I disagree that names and insults and slurs ARE hurtful…but psychologically hurtful. Fight a physical attack physically. Fight a psychological attack psychologically, thinking evil thoughts, walking away, thinking positive thoughts with compassion about the person assaulting and how they must have their issues to be saying that, refuse to further serve or deal with the customer.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:34 AM

8,329 posts, read 2,959,252 times
27 yr old savage. Lock him up for life.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Wish the manager had just laughed and said,

"Sir, I'm banning you for life from this business. But don't worry, from the look of you that's less than a year."

Now, if you refuse to leave I've calling the police and having you arrested.

Then with a big smile, "have a nice day" and laugh while walking away.

Old fart probably would have had a coronary on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies