Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being called a racial slur provide legal grounds to physically attack?
Yes 33 12.18%
No 238 87.82%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:22 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Except there is recourse other than violence. Don't serve him. Tell him to leave the store. Call the police if he doesn't leave the store.

Violence should never be an option, let alone, first option.
The moral fabric is in decline. Social decay is evident, whether or not people want to admit as such.

Some old ******* calls someone a slur does not warrant being assaulted, as appalled as I am for someone doing that to a convience worker.

The fact that some on this thread can't see that is example enough of what I'm talking about.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:24 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Who started it? Nobody would have ever had to know he was a violent black man if the old white man had just treated him with respect. Didn't this white man get the memo about how black people are savages?

His penalty will reflect the desires of a civil society that does not want to give white racist permission to shout racial epithets and young black men with out recourse.

Speech is protected by the Constitution. Murderous assault isn't. You don't get to kill someone because they hurt your feelings.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Just keep trying to justify your boorish behavior. . .
I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm saying the truth.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:10 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Speech is protected by the Constitution. Murderous assault isn't. You don't get to kill someone because they hurt your feelings.
Wrong again, hate speech is not. You should keep up we already stablished that. Since I have been black longer than a lot of you I will be the bearer of some bad news . Nothing usually happens to a black person who retaliates against a person who calls them N-word. It keeps society civil. So you guys can't have your beloved word back after all, only black people can use that word, live with it. Its like that for all racial slurs.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:09 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
, hence the murderer was properly charged, and the store tapes should be the only evidence required to obtain a conviction. If his lawyers are wise, they will seek a plea bargain deal. Otherwise, like the Chauvin case, the video tape will be all the state needs to win its case.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:24 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Wrong again, hate speech is not. You should keep up we already stablished that. Since I have been black longer than a lot of you I will be the bearer of some bad news . Nothing usually happens to a black person who retaliates against a person who calls them N-word. It keeps society civil. So you guys can't have your beloved word back after all, only black people can use that word, live with it. Its like that for all racial slurs.
Years ago I read a novel by black author Walter Mosley, "Always Outnumbered--Always Outgunned," in which the protagonist, Socrates Fortlow, an ex-convict who had spent years in prison for a rape and murder, was trying to re-established life as a free man in Los Angeles.

While in prison, Socrates had been used by the prison guards to murder another black prisoner. Through that, had learned a particular lesson: The white establishment treats black men in such a way as to evoke violence because the white establishment knows exactly how to deal with black violence. Black violence suits their intentions and purposes. They are prepared for it. They know what to do with a violent black man, and how to use his violence to their greater political and economic advantage.

So we have this young black manager, who might well have had a promising, self-advancing future, who might have broken a cycle of poverty for a family...but who has now given the white establishment all it needs to destroy that possibility. Which is exactly what it wanted.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:44 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The law recognizes a concept of "fighting words". Yes, minor assaults are forgiven when the assailant is provoked. Had he shoved or punched the guy and that was the end of it, I'd say we're even.

The fact that the name caller was apparently frail, and fell to his unexpected death is an unintended consequence.

But I think if you get in someone's face and are rude and call them a racial slur for no reason, you should be prepared to be punched.

Response: Opinion

There are always unintended consequences. Does not mean there won't be unintended justice.
Just ask the parents of the little black baby that was shot in the projects.
She was an unintended target but the person who shot and killed her is going to jail.

Good Riddance.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:13 AM

864 posts, read 439,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Years ago I read a novel by black author Walter Mosley, "Always Outnumbered--Always Outgunned," in which the protagonist, Socrates Fortlow, an ex-convict who had spent years in prison for a rape and murder, was trying to re-established life as a free man in Los Angeles.

While in prison, Socrates had been used by the prison guards to murder another black prisoner. Through that, had learned a particular lesson: The white establishment treats black men in such a way as to evoke violence because the white establishment knows exactly how to deal with black violence. Black violence suits their intentions and purposes. They are prepared for it. They know what to do with a violent black man, and how to use his violence to their greater political and economic advantage.

So we have this young black manager, who might well have had a promising, self-advancing future, who might have broken a cycle of poverty for a family...but who has now given the white establishment all it needs to destroy that possibility. Which is exactly what it wanted.
The question is why would he let them do that? In the end we are all responsible for the choices we make. There is no one else to blame.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
, hence the murderer was properly charged, and the store tapes should be the only evidence required to obtain a conviction. If his lawyers are wise, they will seek a plea bargain deal. Otherwise, like the Chauvin case, the video tape will be all the state needs to win its case.
And like the Chauvin case, the tape will make the guy's family very wealthy, by the time Dunkin Donuts settles their law suit.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:41 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
The question is why would he let them do that? In the end we are all responsible for the choices we make. There is no one else to blame.
The point of Walter Mosley's novel was: Don't let them do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies