Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 06:09 AM

955 posts, read 744,144 times

Advertisements

Typical idiot of this administration. Not a clue on how things function.. Smug ass *****

Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Typical idiot of this administration. Not a clue on how things function.. Smug ass *****
What does that even mean.

She knows perfectly how it works. She was being honest.

If you have an electric car right now in those areas -- you are not fussing.

And then she went to explain to folks that there is not a shortage of gas, it is a distribution, to not hoard and panic buy, blah blah blah...

But think any of the conservative pundits chose to relay THAT message to their puppets.

No -- they want to rile up people, hype the crisis, try to suggest the federal govt. is responsible...blah blah.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:23 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
What makes me laugh the most is most of these people don't seem to understand where that electricity to power the electric cars comes from?
Not petroleum

Less than 1% of the US energy generation come from petroleum. MORE ENERGY COMES FROM BIOMASS.
More people get power from burning peat than oil!

The largest component is natural gas followed by renewables as a group then nuclear.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:31 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
This lady is more proof that the only thing Biden’s administration is competent at hiring people that are smug, out of touch with reality and incompetent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsTEaXbNY4

She doesn't seem to get that at least 50% of U.S. electricity comes from coal or natural gas (fine sources of energy, which alot of us depend on, but they are not emissions-free). So a bunch of electric cars riding around right now charge their batteries using fossil fuels. So electric cars are not 100% clean or green or whatever it's called. Folks like the energy secretary like to just paint right over that fact.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Very few can do that and ones that do still have electric bills and TWENTY year paybacks on the initial investment even with all the Government Subsidies that other taxpayers pay for so you can be smug.
If you live in Florida you can. Judging by the growing number of roofs with solar panels in cities within Florida I think many here have figured that out too. Many more electric cars around too.

Technology will advance regardless of our politics or traditions.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
She needs to go stick her wet finger in a light socket and flip the power switch on.

Electric cars are no "greener" than gas-powered cars. The ONLY motivation here is money (as in making more of it). It always is. That and control. You force the population into driving only electric cars, you automatically exclude 90% of the population because the are way too expensive for most people. When you can get the price down to the 14K that I paid for my NEW car, we can talk. And when you can get me spending the equivalent of 50 mpg on "powering" the thing, again, we can talk. When you can get the range to more than a couple hundred miles without "fueling up," we can talk. Until then, take a hike.

Gee, how'd she wind up in Biden's administration? Profit and control are very much the pole stars of Republicans with their worship of corporations and desire to control peoples' medical decisions and bedroom activities.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:45 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well that power doesn't come from this pipeline. That is one point electric has for it. We have a power grid, not a pipeline grid.

I can't speak to the total lifecycle, but in terms of "greeness" post-build, the electric cars do win. Large power plants are easier to control emissions at than multiple little sources. Plus many power plants don't have ongoing emissions (nuclear, hydro, solar) or their emissions to power ratio over the total life cycle is huge (nuclear, hydro).
We have too few nuke, hydro or strictly solar power plants right now, but plenty of gas and coal fired plants.

How does that gas get to the plant? How does that coal get to the plant?

It doesnt magic itself there, but comes via diesel and gas powered rail, trucks, and even (gasp!) pipelines.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:47 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I have an electric car and Biden's incompetence is still affecting me because I'm visiting Florida and now worried if I can get gas for the ICE car my sister in law has.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
This lady is more proof that the only thing Biden’s administration is competent at hiring people that are smug, out of touch with reality and incompetent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsTEaXbNY4
She was horrible for Michigan as governor and now this? She does realize EVERYTHING goes up with a shortage of fuel. Democrats are either brain dead or all they care about is pandering to every special interest group at the expense of the masses. Pathetic.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Solar here costs $25,000 Canadian for a 1500 sq. ft. home including installation ....Presently my monthly electric bill averages $150 per month, so that $150 amounts to $1,800 per year... The solar would be paid off with those savings in less than 14 years....From that point on I'm saving $1,800 plus whatever increase in the cost of electric from the grid is in 14 years....In other words the solar would pay for itself. Makes good sense to me...If I hook my solar up to the grid it would be a much larger savings.

No problem running my Bolt on that.
I'm into solar for personal home use myself. I have installed SV and ST systems for personal projects for years.

What you did not add to your ROI example though is system efficiency and degradation. How well do your panels produce in 14 years, and what is their life expectancy over all? Also add storage maintenance costs.

Home solar is not "fire and forget".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies