Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 11:25 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I mentioned that the Republican Party has been able to get elected without Black people's help. With Georgia going Democrat, I think this has scared some people. There are those who will say "Biden got Georgia because of fraud". Truth is, demographics played a major factor. This is something that really scares some people. Georgia is a microcosm of America.
The big problem for the south is not black voters. But demographic shifts. Plenty of northerners are moving to Georgia, Florida, Texas and Arizona. Such demographic movement can tip scales in favor for democrats. This worries the gop alot. When you have alot of blacks moving back to Georgia, alot of Jews and Puerto Ricans from the NY tri-state area, and plenty fk white liberals from California moving to Arizona and Texas. This will spell trouble for the gop in decades to come.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:25 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
The big problem for the south is not black voters. But demographic shifts. Plenty of northerners are moving to Georgia, Florida, Texas and Arizona. Such demographic movement can tip scales in favor for democrats. This worries the gop alot. When you have alot of blacks moving back to Georgia, alot of Jews and Puerto Ricans from the NY tri-state area, and plenty fk white liberals from California moving to Arizona and Texas. This will spell trouble for the gop in decades to come.
Maybe not Black by themselves. But it is certainly a big part of it. Northerners moving to Georgia, Arizona, etc will definitely play a role. I've met some Jews who vote Republican. There are certainly more Jews voting Republican than there are Blacks voting Republican (I'm speaking on a per capita basis). However, a majority of Jews vote Democrat. A majority of Puerto Ricans vote Democrat.

At least in Georgia, I think the GOP is more afraid of the Black vote than of any other demographic vote. Blacks are 33% of the population, and vote Democrat to the tune of 90%, more than any other demographic. In Georgia, the GOP doesn't have the best relationship with Georgia's Black population.

Look at the 2018 gubernatorial election. Brian Kemp, Republican candidate, got about 6% of the Black vote. The way Brian Kemp ran his campaign, he appealed very strongly to the "good old boy" constituency.

Here is one of his campaign ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1cfjh6VfE

One thing that's going to make things hard for Republicans in the future is that Georgia is getting closer to majority-minority status. Whites are 51% of Georgia's population. What's going to scare some people is just sheer numbers.

Ignoring Black voters, or being very insensitive to certain issues, or saying things that would subtly suggest "Blacks are lazy" are only driving Black Americans away. For instance, in Georgia, it's the Republicans who are the most likely to be on the side of pro-Confederates. A majority of Blacks, 2/3rds, are in favor of removing Confederate monuments. Most Blacks view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism. Brian Kemp signed a bill to protect Confederate monuments. Kemp did some other things before he was governor. He closed down over 200 polling stations, alot of them in predominantly Black areas. This certainly did not endear him to African-Americans.

It isn't just the big issues that will play a factor. It will be more localized issues that play a role as well.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Except Black Republicans/Conservatives exist which completely contradicts your whole argument.

I'm sure Herman Cain and Ben Carson wished that simply being Black would have the Black vote locked down for them but that's clearly not the case as can be confirmed with data.

On the conservative side, there's a lot of vocal Black Trump supporters(I've even met some in real life) out there but not many for Carson(though he's still respected as a doctor) and especially not Cain.

Black people, including those who vote Democrat, are not monolith at all and issues with poverty for any race can be traced back to family dysfunction and upbringing before any policy.

And conservatism isn't a magic wand that can fix anything. Otherwise, Blacks in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee would be faring off better than those in NY, MA, DC, Maryland(outside Baltimore), and Virginia in terms of education and affluence when that's clearly not the case at all.

There's a lot of nuances that you're ignoring here.
There are certainly some Black Republicans out there. Some are more respected than others. Many Blacks respect Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice much more than Herman Cain or Clarence Thomas.

Here is an article about Herman Cain's relationship with the African-American population.
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ican-Americans

I've never met any Blacks who were vocal Trump supporters. To me, it does seem like any Black person who is pro-Trump is very loud about it, on TV or YouTube anyway. In real life, I haven't personally met any Black people who are loud and proud for Trump. I met one Black man who regarded Trump as "well, I don't like him, but at least he'll get rid of the illegals". I actually ran into more White people trying to convert me into a Trump supporter than Blacks who actually support Trump.

There are people who try to make it out to be "conservatism is the answer for Black people". Mississippi and Alabama are Republican states. Black people aren't doing all the well in those states. It hasn't done much good in Arkansas' Black population. It hasn't done much for Blacks in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the country. It also has one of the highest Black imprisonment rates in America. To me, it doesn't matter what political party is in charge. Black Americans, relative to other groups, tend to have higher rates of poverty, crime, and other problems (there are exceptions depending on what states you're talking about). Portraying conservatism as the answer to all problems doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:05 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are certainly some Black Republicans out there. Some are more respected than others. Many Blacks respect Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice much more than Herman Cain or Clarence Thomas.

And many support Ben Carson and Allen West more than Colin Powell and Rice, so what?

Old 05-16-2021, 05:32 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Liberals passed Civil Rights. Conservatives fought it tooth and nail.

Who do you expect them to ally with? The people who got the white man's boot off their neck. That trumps everything else.
"Liberals passed Civil Rights. Conservatives fought it tooth and nail."

"Must be dem controlled public school "educated"!

"The Civil Rights Act of 1957, signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on September 9, 1957,"

" Southern Democrats began a campaign of "massive resistance" against desegregation, and even the few moderate white leaders shifted to openly racist positions."

"Partly in an effort to defuse calls for more far-reaching reforms, Eisenhower proposed a civil rights bill that would increase the protection of African American voting rights"

"The bill passed 285–126 in the House of Representatives with a majority of both parties' support (Republicans 167–19, Democrats 118–107).[5] It then passed 72–18 in the Senate, again with a majority of both parties (Republicans 43–0, Democrats 29–18).[6] President Eisenhower signed the bill on September 9, 1957.""Filibuster

Main article: Strom Thurmond filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1957
Then-Democratic Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, an ardent segregationist, sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep the bill from becoming law".

"1963 Kennedy civil rights bill"

"The 1964 bill was first proposed by United States President John F. Kennedy in his Report to the American People on Civil Rights on June 11, 1963.[12] Kennedy sought legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments"—as well as "greater protection for the right to vote".

"the Rules Committee, whose chairman, Howard W. Smith, a Democrat and staunch segregationist from Virginia, indicated his intention to keep the bill bottled up indefinitely."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Old 05-16-2021, 08:41 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Blacks are actually becoming less liberal like Hispanics as they see the negative affects of being monolithic towards one political party for handouts and the benefits of political diversity.

We still have a long way to go as around 80% of the black community are still religiously conservative and have shown no indications of abandoning their religion.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

Traditionally, Black Americans have been a conservative lot. They attended church, believed in the sanctity of life, and lived frugal, responsible lives. They were very industrious, owning businesses at a per capita rate larger than White America. They also believed in the sanctity of marriage, exhibiting a higher rate of successful two person marriages than their white counterparts, per capita.

Fast forward to now. It's established that the 1964 "Great Society" edict from the racist LBJ did much to destroy the Black nuclear family, but many traditions remained in tact, but even those seem to be slipping away in favor of "woke culture".

So what happened? Is it as simple as 1964 & being woke? I don't believe so.
Blacks in the south are extremely conservative.

This is one the silliest threads I’ve come across.

It just shows how VERY LITTLE you know about black people.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:48 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Blacks are actually becoming less liberal like Hispanics as they see the negative affects of being monolithic towards one political party for handouts and the benefits of political diversity.

We still have a long way to go as around 80% of the black community are still religiously conservative and have shown no indications of abandoning their religion.
I’m not of the opinion that American blacks are extremely liberal to begin with.

Lots of people seem to think theyre experts on black people. When they actually know very little.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Blacks in the south are extremely conservative.

This is one the silliest threads I’ve come across.

It just shows how VERY LITTLE you know about black people.

Well Blacks in California voted 2 to 1 to ban gay marriage and California is liberal but I guess they are not homophobic that is reserved only for Republicans and whites in the South.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I’m not of the opinion that American blacks are extremely liberal to begin with.

Lots of people seem to think theyre experts on black people. When they actually know very little.
I think some of this is rooted in either racial resentment, or alot of arrogance. Alot of this stuff is really just people being self-serving. I'm convinced some people are more concerned about making sure a Republican is in office, and not about the well-being or concerns of Black Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies