Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 AM

24,591 posts, read 9,427,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
There are 54 countries in Africa.

So there is no one single African Culture.

Statue needs to be taken down.
That’s correct. We African Americans are not qualified to generalize nor culturally appropriate an entire continent with one statue. No less one containing a giant baby Buddha head that would make a Jim Crow era minstrel show blush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 12:22 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Could be much worse. It could have been a Confederate statue. I really would not want to see any Confederate statues.
Nothing wrong with the statue to me. The artist already explained what I was about. Not sure why people find it problematic.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Because of this thread I might go by Rock center today and see what visitors are saying. Would anyone be interested or are you all interested in just your own opinions?
I would be very interested in hearing the reactions. Also, I would be interested in knowing whether there is an explanation of the piece there that gives more details that we have been provided.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 05-14-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2021, 01:39 PM

24,591 posts, read 9,427,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nothing wrong with the statue to me. The artist already explained what I was about. Not sure why people find it problematic.
You don’t see a problem with a 25 foot black caricature generalizing Africa into one bizarre statue?

You must’ve loved Jim Crow.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:15 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,574,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Whether or not someone thinks it's 'ugly' is not an issue. It's the carrying on about how it's 'insulting' to 'black culture' that is the issue. It appears that many didn't read the article. It's very clear by what they post.

It states that it is NOT a 'symbol' of black culture, nor is it 'mocking' African culture with 'derogatory stereotypes'. If people would read the entire article, and see what the artist himself said, we could have avoided all kinds of bigotry that has been on display in this thread - mainly by those who are acting all offended over an artist's piece they haven't even bothered to try to understand.

Thinking a piece of art is 'ugly' is understandable. I think every last thing Picasso created is hideous, yet others love it.
how true that is! for example, so-called "artists" put together a bunch of metal scrap pieces and then call it art. its a mess! and then they expect you to intepret it. Even some works of art are considered valuable like Picasso or Joan Miro and those are abstract art, but its enjoyable (to those who are fans of Miro and Picasso).

On the other hand some folks hate Picasso and think its made by someone with double vision or something.

however, some so-called art works are hideous just by looking at it and you get that first impression. I could leave it at that. I dont wish to spend further energy trying to "get" it. I guess thats a choice I have to make. I did read the article partially, and the so-called artist does try to embellish his work, however, thats sorta like b.s. baloney trying to explain something horrid.

oh beleive me, I could take a pile of junk and make some flowery explanation for it - some folks would fall for it, others would not. some jokesters have even made joke-art where they make something that they put together which is hideous and then try to see which of the passers-by will fall for it. but all along, its just a big joke - its his joke on hideous art and how people will fall for it.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:26 PM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times
It's fascinating to me how many posters on this forum who are black do not even know what art from the archeological record of Africa looks like. I have no particular interest in African history or art, yet I know more about it than you do? That sculpture is obviously a conglomeration of styles from archeological record art from Africa. If it offends you, you need to study history and art a bit more.

Earlier in this thread I posted a figurine from the Viking era. It's obviously "deformed" just like African art is. Have ANY of you ever heard of stylized art? Good God, take a look at ANY historical art that is not European in origin. Look at South American art--Maya, Inca, Aztec, Toltec, etc, look at Asian art--Japanese, Chinese, Southeast Asian, look at Polynesian art, Look at Native American art. Look at all of it. Do you folks find all of that offensive and deformed as well???

The fact that you expect all the art you see to look like an El Greco painting tells me that YOUR artistic tastes are rather racist. Grow up. There is so much historic art that is fascinating, mysterious, and highly artistic in a rather abstract, stylized way. That includes traditional African art from the various cultures. Don't cancel it because it's not western European art.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-14-2021 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,188,867 times
The face portion looks a lot like African sculptures I've seen. The only controversial thing about is infusing the head part with a European figure, but I suppose the artist intended this to be a bit more original, not entirely authentic per se. Other forms of art like Japanese manga take their native folklore and infuse it with certain features common in other groups(usually Europeans) and make something out of it.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:15 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,599,708 times
I see the seated figure as a reference to the statue of Zeus at Olympia. Zeus is the Olympian god of the sky and the thunder, the king of all other gods and men, and, consequently, the chief figure in Greek mythology.

The king of all gods as an African oracle.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You don’t see a problem with a 25 foot black caricature generalizing Africa into one bizarre statue?

You must’ve loved Jim Crow.
You should read about it instead of making assumptions. Specific cultures were mentioned.

Sorry I wasn’t alive during Jim Crow and my family wasn’t in the country either.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:09 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,496,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRubbish View Post
Is it me, or does he look a little like Gary Coleman?
“Watcha talking about Willis?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies