Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 06:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure why you’re claiming that an African-American artist is mocking “African culture” when he stated that what his work does. If some people don’t understand it, they should do their research.
I agree, but the woke crowd is butt-hurt over everything these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 06:54 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I didn’t say I can control it. But a White person is allowed to give her opinion about particular pieces of art, no?
(And talk about angry.....
Yep, you are definitely angry but no said that anyone of any background can’t talk about artwork.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:58 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I agree, but the woke crowd is butt-hurt over everything these days.
I honestly do not understand this “woke” business. We have posters who complain about what they consider “woke” trying to “out woke” the people they consider “woke.” It’s all silly.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
While we're discussing confusing statues in public places, how about the Boy Scout monument in Washington DC?

(Yes, this is real).

A fully uniformed child in a boy scout uniform followed by a naked man and woman. Hmmm. Art.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/boy-scout-memorial

Old 05-14-2021, 07:03 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Why can’t I say what it SHOULD be? Again, that’s my opinion. Something respectful....not this monstrosity.
Using should as auxiliary verb implies a mandate. You are not in a position to provide that mandate. Best not to use should when stating your opinion.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:06 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Using should as auxiliary verb implies a mandate. You are not in a position to provide that mandate. Best not to use should when stating your opinion.
Wow. Talk about splitting hairs! It can still be my opinion: “People should use less salt.” Obviously, that’s an opinion.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Wow. Talk about splitting hairs! It can still be my opinion: “People should use less salt.” Obviously, that’s an opinion.
People should use less salt is NOT an opinion. Just sayin.
Aim to be more precise in your writing. Your posts often come off with the authority that that you do not possess. It is not god given to you as far as I know.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I honestly do not understand this “woke” business. We have posters who complain about what they consider “woke” trying to “out woke” the people they consider “woke.” It’s all silly.
Let me help. I don't agree with the woke, but I stand by their right to have their opinion. The actual "woke" are fascist and want to cancel and bully anyone with a dissenting opinion. Conservatives, moderates and traditional liberals support freedom of opinion and free speech. The new woke left which seems to include most democrats these days does not. See the difference?

In addition, the woke go out of their way to be offended. Some are just weak minded, while others want to use wokeness and emotions for control.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Let me help. I don't agree with the woke, but I stand by their right to have their opinion. The actual "woke" are fascist and want to cancel and bully anyone with a dissenting opinion. Conservatives, moderates and traditional liberals support freedom of opinion and free speech. The new woke left which seems to include most democrats these days does not. See the difference?

In addition, the woke go out of their way to be offended. Some are just weak minded, while others want to use wokeness and emotions for control.
So have some posts in this thread crossed the line in to the cancel culture territory? I still don’t fully get the newish terms. As far as cancel culture and woke is being used- does it only apply to the left or can it be used to describe behaviors from any political ideology? I have yet to incorporate these terms in to my vocabulary and ask for guidance.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:49 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Can you imagine the uproar if a White artist created that? THEN the leftists would be recognizing how racist it is.
This was my thought exactly. A White artist would be absolutely crucified for creating this.

Apparently, some on this thread think the rest of us are just not "sophisticated" enough in our exposure to art and culture to see the true supposed meaning and beauty in this absolute monstrosity, that they with their oh-so-highly trained art interpretation skills, can see

I wonder how long the thing will stay up before it's pulled because it's so "misunderstood".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies