Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 AM

4,296 posts, read 1,554,986 times

Advertisements

Take most American cities with a population over say 150,000 and compare them to most European countries, the results won't be favorable to North America, broadly speaking.

I just compared 2017 homicide rates in Richmond, VA and Denmark for a random comparison. Richmond - 62 and Denmark 54.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 08:15 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't refute it. However, I notice the people who bring this up the most often have some low-key resentment towards Black people. Hence, it's next to impossible to discuss it with any kind of civility.
It's not resentment. It's frustration that they don't seem to want any better for themselves and their children. It's exactly how The Offspring described it in their song...

By the time you hear the siren
It's already too late
One goes to the morgue and the other to jail
One guy's wasted and the other's a waste

It goes down the same as the thousands before
No one's gettin' smarter
No one's learnin' the score
Your never ending spree of death and violence and hate
Is gonna tie your own rope, tie your own rope, tie your own...

Old 05-25-2021, 08:23 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
its almost like they have a hint that inequality is bad....but then want to make it about the politics of their mayor.
Crime is a psychological issue that will not be "cured" by supporting the criminal.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:25 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Take most American cities with a population over say 150,000 and compare them to most European countries, the results won't be favorable to North America, broadly speaking.

I just compared 2017 homicide rates in Richmond, VA and Denmark for a random comparison. Richmond - 62 and Denmark 54.
Some cities smaller than 100,000 are quite bad. Gary, Indiana, population is barely 75,000. It recorded 57 murders in 2019. Denmark, in that same year, recorded 48 murders, while having a population of 5.8 million people.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Crime is a psychological issue that will not be "cured" by supporting the criminal.
Supporting the criminal will not make things any better. Agreed. On the other hand, I've noticed many criminals go to prison for a considerable amount of time. They get released from prison, go back to their crimes, and then go back to prison. Being soft on crime will most certainly not make things any better. On the other hand, it seems like prison isn't enough to deter many criminals.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:35 AM

4,296 posts, read 1,554,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nordic countries crime statistics and recidivism rates say quite the opposite, unless you consider active rehabilitation to not be "supporting the criminal"?

Old 05-25-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not resentment. It's frustration that they don't seem to want any better for themselves and their children. It's exactly how The Offspring described it in their song...

By the time you hear the siren
It's already too late
One goes to the morgue and the other to jail
One guy's wasted and the other's a waste

It goes down the same as the thousands before
No one's gettin' smarter
No one's learnin' the score
Your never ending spree of death and violence and hate
Is gonna tie your own rope, tie your own rope, tie your own...
It's hard to tell when some people are going to threads making backhanded sarcasm regarding Black people. Alot of things are about HOW you say certain things. There is a reason I say "underclass segment of the black population" and not the Black population at large. When I look at certain comments, when I see the sarcasm, and borderline insulting comments, and some people framing it as "this is just how Blacks are, so avoid Black people", that doesn't sound like frustration to me. It sounds more like anger and disgust towards Black people. I've spoken about Black on Black violence, and even posted links, but I don't go into sarcastic diatribes. I don't use it as an excuse to go after the Black population as a whole. There is a certain way I discuss certain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies