Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There IS NO concrete, definable entity of "The Science". It is a bogus, imaginary term used a million times a day by people unable or uncomfortable with thinking for themselves.

Since "The Science" is not a thing more than another human opinion, I'll go with my own experience and observation of the world around me. I've also talked with many others about this and I've yet to run into one who doesn't agree that there has been much less sickness generally in this last year than in prior years.

"The Science" you're advocating in this case makes zero scientific sense. You're saying it, as is everyone else who does, simply because having to wear a mask while shopping is a pain and you don't want to do it. Not because there is any "science" to support your claim.

Of course a mask barrier will inhibit transmission of airborne communicable disease. Not eliminate, but inhibit. And that inhibition is quite significant, based on our experience over the last year. Masks are a small price to pay for a huge reduction in colds, flu, and bronchitis....even before you get to the subject of COVID.
Tough ****. Worry about yourself. Or better yet don't come out of your bunker and allow normal people who aren't afraid of living to continue living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 11:50 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
There IS NO concrete, definable entity of "The Science". It is a bogus, imaginary term used a million times a day by people unable or uncomfortable with thinking for themselves.

Since "The Science" is not a thing more than another human opinion, I'll go with my own experience and observation of the world around me. I've also talked with many others about this and I've yet to run into one who doesn't agree that there has been much less sickness generally in this last year than in prior years.

"The Science" you're advocating in this case makes zero scientific sense. You're saying it, as is everyone else who does, simply because having to wear a mask while shopping is a pain and you don't want to do it. Not because there is any "science" to support your claim.

Of course a mask barrier will inhibit transmission of airborne communicable disease. Not eliminate, but inhibit. And that inhibition is quite significant, based on our experience over the last year. Masks are a small price to pay for a huge reduction in colds, flu, and bronchitis....even before you get to the subject of COVID.
When you throw sand through a chain-link fence, the fence stops some of the sand, too. At some point you have to quantify how much. All we're asking for is a ballpark (30-50% reduction in viral particles, or whatever). We've had a year and we can't even get that information. Just a paternalistic "well, every little bit helps." Nope, that's not how this works. Masks are only a "small price to pay" if you put a near-zero value on human interaction. Most of us need human interaction deeply, so you must show that the masks actually stop transmission. That hasn't been done, so out the door they go. As the experience of several U.S. states has shown already, I don't expect that this will have any significant effect on transmission.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Tough ****. Worry about yourself. Or better yet don't come out of your bunker and allow normal people who aren't afraid of living to continue living.
Gee, that's classy. Strange that you weren't on ignore until now.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:03 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:

You can wear a useless cloth mask for the rest of your life. I don’t care, but I will laugh at you.

The problem arises when you try and use government to project your unreasonable fears on to me. I played along for over a year. It’s over.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:06 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You can wear a useless cloth mask for the rest of your life. I don’t care, but I will laugh at you.

The problem arises when you try and use government to project your unreasonable fears on to me. I played along for over a year. It’s over.
Individuals didn't do that. Public Health is a state authority. It would have been your Governor and/or city officials that made all those restrictions.

Some states were way more authoritarian than others.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:09 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
My husband actually shopped at Walmart, among other stores, this morning here in NC. Everyone had a mask on. LOL.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:11 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Individuals didn't do that. Public Health is a state authority. It would have been your Governor and/or city officials that made all those restrictions.

Some states were way more authoritarian than others.
Yes, but the government had a herd of sheep cheering them on, which enabled the nonsense to start and then go on for far longer than it should have.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:11 PM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
I went to Walmart today, in Ohio, and the Store still had a sign on the door stating masks are required. I tested this out and walked in maskless (I am Vaccinated), and the Clerk at front entrance asked me to wear a mask. I asked if she was aware Walmart was no longer requiring Masks and she said she was not aware. I then placed the mask on and did my shopping.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:14 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I have never said the masks will be around forever. In fact, let me be clear on this point. The masks will very certainly not be around forever.

What I said, and I will say it again right now, is that the Democrat leftists championing this agenda will not voluntarily let this go. I still believe that. But this is not natural or sustainable. It will end, even if it has to end with those people kicking and screaming. This too will pass.

In fact, the only people I can recall seeing who seem to think this will never end are the supporters of this Orwellian agenda who consider mask wearing to be a desirable component of "the new normal". It is not me or people like me who think like this. It is the mask-Nazis and the Democrat left TDS afflicted control freak crowd who thinks like this.

Get it straight.
Before this pandemic parts of Asia have had their share of SARS, etc. So I remember seeing Asian people at times in stores wearing masks. I don't care what people do or wear. I am sure many will continue to wear a mask and may never stop. I do have a problem with forced mandates. I am glad that even blue states and cities are quickly backing off of masks. I am surprised really.

Mask wearing is coming to an end. Stop whining. I have issues with the left across the board but this 1984 world you think they are trying to create is a fantasy in your head. Nothing else.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I went to Walmart today, in Ohio, and the Store still had a sign on the door stating masks are required. I tested this out and walked in maskless (I am Vaccinated), and the Clerk at front entrance asked me to wear a mask. I asked if she was aware Walmart was no longer requiring Masks and she said she was not aware. I then placed the mask on and did my shopping.
There was a post earlier indicating that this would go into effect this coming Tuesday (May 18).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies