Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 04:50 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Both parents is always best. Unfortunately that’s not always in the cards. And cutting off welfare definitely wouldn’t solve the problem. That’s a separate issue that has nothing to do with this.
Both parents in the home are what a kid needs. That, we can agree on. Sometimes it doesn't work. Just the same, I suspect if that kid had been born into a stable, functional, two parent home, he would certainly be much better behaved.

There are some people who blame high crime rates among the Black population on welfare. I disagree with that. What was driving the crime rate among Black Americans in 1960? 1950? 1940? What was driving OOW birth rates in the 1950s? This is why I disagree with the idea that cutting off welfare would end the problem. That some people are bringing up welfare, this is why I go, and do my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Neither will funding them more. It’s a chance worth taking...and if you’re so concerned you should help fund them. Always good to put ones money where there mouth is versus spending others.
I am talking about what would work. No one here is saying that funding such a lifestyle would keep the crime rate down. I'm saying cutting it off won't stop the problem. Cutting off welfare might safe money, but will it stop people from committing crimes? Will it make the majority of those persons go out and get jobs?

I disagree for these reasons.

1) Many people who get stuff like food stamps and SNAP already work. Bill Clinton pushed a bill to make people on welfare get work.

2) Many people are terminally unemployable. Many persons are those you yourself wouldn't want to hire. Consider this. Many persons sell drugs to make money. There is a demand for drugs, and there are people who see drug dealing as a way to get money fast. And many of those persons are individuals who couldn't get jobs in the first place for reasons such as being undisciplined, unreliable, etc.

Again, I am talking about ideas, within the law, that would actually make a big dent in the crime rate.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am talking about what would work. No one here is saying that funding such a lifestyle would keep the crime rate down. I'm saying cutting it off won't stop the problem. Cutting off welfare might safe money, but will it stop people from committing crimes? Will it make the majority of those persons go out and get jobs?

I disagree for these reasons.

1) Many people who get stuff like food stamps and SNAP already work. Bill Clinton pushed a bill to make people on welfare get work.

2) Many people are terminally unemployable. Many persons are those you yourself wouldn't want to hire. Consider this. Many persons sell drugs to make money. There is a demand for drugs, and there are people who see drug dealing as a way to get money fast. And many of those persons are individuals who couldn't get jobs in the first place for reasons such as being undisciplined, unreliable, etc.

Again, I am talking about ideas, within the law, that would actually make a big dent in the crime rate.
What are you talking about. My response was to you about not funding welfare queens for having kids/more kids. It has zero to do with this response.

If you’re so concerned about folks needing money to raise their kids, why don’t you help fund them and/or take them in and put your money where your mouth is versus wanting to spend others?

Old 05-19-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What are you talking about. My response was to you about not funding welfare queens for having more kids. It has zero to do with this response.
Well, welfare has been brought up on this thread, as it applies to crime. My deal is this. Cutting off welfare may not always work. Some women have several kids out of wedlock simply because they have no morals. Some women do other things to get money. Some women might dump one guy, and then get money from another guy. In the modern era, in the era of no-fault divorce, some women will use the child support system to get money. Some women will have sex with several men, never get married, but somehow get child support from some men. All you have to do prove said man is the father, and said man could get half his paycheck fleeced. Some women will have a few kids, and have one of them sell drugs to support the family. Cutting off welfare might stop one lifestyle, but it won't stop other lifestyles.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergesn View Post
You do have a point...... I have heard of even younger doing even more aweful things..... What is to be done with them really??
Just before I retired from teaching in California I had a teen in class who was truly a monster. His family were Haitians refugees but he was born in New Orleans.

According to his probation officer, he was suspected of murdering someone when he was 10 years old but it was never proven. He also reportedly bit a chunk out of a cop's arm who was trying to remove him from a classroom while he was out of control. He was locked up repeatedly and expelled from several elementary schools.
With a lot of Official heat on them, he and his mother and sister moved to California.

He made my life hell all year long and he truly enjoyed bullying kids and other teachers.

One night about two a.m. he was murdered. It was the first time I can recall being glad someone was dead. His killer was never identified but we were assured by neighbors from the 'hood that he deserved it. We assumed it involved drugs.

Three years later I was back home at a get-together with my former co-workers and finally heard the rest of the story. According to his neighbors, he was regularly forcing two young children, a girl and a boy to perform oral sex on him. When it was discovered, a relative of the kids killed him.

Some people can't be fixed. All we can do is try to keep our loved ones away from them and maybe hope they die ASAP.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergesn View Post
You do have a point...... I have heard of even younger doing even more aweful things..... What is to be done with them really??
It's hard to know what to do. That kid certainly deserves to be punished. However, people suggesting that an 11 year old be killed or sent to adult prison, that sounds very crazy. This sounds like something only 3rd world countries might do.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Ok, but what is the point? Of your statistical analyses? Are all the white people on this forum wringing their hands as they search for a solution to crimes committed by non-whites?

Every one of these threads has the same ring to it. “They’re animals, Democrats are to blame, this stuff only happens in their neighborhoods (black and democrat), and by the way, it was NOT a violent insurrection on January 6 that resulted in the death of our beloved hero police officers! Ashli Babbit is the true victim.”

Or something like that. Y’all sit around rubbernecking at black crime but you don’t actually care. You’re just gawking and shaking your heads as if to say...”what do these animals expect? Guys like Chauvin are caught between a rock and a hard place because look at how monstrous these thugs are! Oh yeah, and he died of a fentanyl overdose anyways, because that’s exactly how a person overdosing on fentanyl behaves.” It’s so transparent that no one here actually cares and are just using these tragic stories as a cudgel to score political points.

I mean, do you really not believe that horrendous violent crimes are committed by white Americans every single day? Why not focus on the opioid crisis and how that has devastated white America? It’s not like any of you cares what happens on Chicago’s south or west sides.
This is just what I see. Black Americans are pretty much the most complained about group when it comes to city-data, and when it comes to what I see on the P&OC threads. I don't think it has much to do with being concerned about the well-being of Black people. What I see is alot of anger arrogance.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's hard to know what to do. That kid certainly deserves to be punished. However, people suggesting that an 11 year old be killed or sent to adult prison, that sounds very crazy. This sounds like something only 3rd world countries might do.
The month before, "junior" was arrested for car jackings and robberies. This is not Opie Taylor, killing a bird accidentally with a slingshot. Andy sending him to bed w/o supper will not make civilized society safe from this dangerous thug.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:18 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Cutting off welfare is unworkable. Many of the current recipients aren't even employable.

Linking welfare to supervised birth control like Depo Provera shots or implants IS workable and WILL ultimately lead to less throwaway children born in the ghettos. Less children born to unstable or single parents WILL reduce the number of criminals. It's just a long, slow process that would mostly benefit future generations.

Meanwhile there are relatively few solutions for young criminals like this 11 year old. Foster homes don't want them. Military academies don't want them and neither does the military. In spite of all the bleeding hearts who spout platitudes about "tough-love" they don't work in most cases.

Warehousing them in institutions or letting them run wild seems to be the only two choices.
Years ago it was suggested linking birth control to welfare and one of the Reverends came out and said that would be racial genocide and the idea quickly went away.

My thought is the AA community should demand it. Majority of AA can't like what is going on.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The month before, "junior" was arrested for car jackings and robberies. This is not Opie Taylor, killing a bird accidentally with a slingshot. Andy sending him to bed w/o supper will not make civilized society safe from this dangerous thug.
I know this is not Opie Taylor. At the same time, in this country, we don't try youths as adults untll their are in puberty/teenage stages. This is a pre-pubescent kid who should have been put in a juvenile facility, not the adult facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies