U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:06 AM

20,775 posts, read 11,082,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
78% of the bad Covid outcomes (death and serious hospitalization) were obese people, according to the CDC.

So NBC saying “don’t worry about it” is just more of their typical BS.

On a side note, the CDC also lies. So I’m not even sure if their data is real, or politically driven.
On obesity the left (1) put emotions ahead of science by downplaying how unhealthy it is to make people feel good and (2) downplays personal choices like diet decisions and a lack of exercise in favor of obesity is caused by genes or corporations putting too much sugar into foods instead of individuals putting too much sugar in their mouths.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:10 AM

3,282 posts, read 628,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
On obesity the left (1) put emotions ahead of science by downplaying how unhealthy it is to make people feel good and (2) downplays personal choices like diet decisions and a lack of exercise in favor of obesity is caused by genes or corporations putting too much sugar into foods instead of individuals putting too much sugar in their mouths.
It needs to be repeated.

Every single obese person is obese due to decisions they made. Sure, genes make it easier for some people to become obese, but if they stuck to a proper diet, they wouldn't be obese.

Corporations may put a lot of sugar and sodium in food because it makes food more tasty, but we don't have to overeat on such food.

I keep hearing poverty causes obesity. No it doesn't. Even if your only food option was McDonalds, you could stick to a quarterpounder, no cheese, no fries, and water and that would be cheaper than a double-whooper, large fries, and a coca cola.

Americans have more choices to eat low calorie foods. One example is calorie free sodas. I'm in France right now, and it's far harder to find calorie free sodas here. There are bakeries on every corner selling pastries loaded with sugar and butter. Yet, people here are skinnier, much skinnier, in all age groups. They simply eat less. It's common for a French person to buy 1 pastry and split it with another and then not snack between meals.

I also feel that acceptance of obesity is leading to more obesity. The more obese people you see around you, the less you feel ashamed of your body. Social pressure is a powerful force for humans. We saw it with masks in 2020. How many people wore masks just not to stand out, even though they didn't want to?

Old Today, 05:46 AM

2,922 posts, read 632,615 times
I guess the media is no longer interested in the 'save every life' or 'don't overwhelm the health care system' narratives.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

21,446 posts, read 8,646,867 times
There's something to this idea, of just get on with it. Don't stay away from parks, lakes and beaches because you gained some weight last year. And I don't believe the 41+pounds average. That doesn't bear out, with what you can observe.

I'm big on the outdoors, and the benefits of spending an afternoon in the fresh air. Just do it. Just put on the bathing suit, or the capri pants and tennis shoes, and enjoy the sunshine. So, yes on the article.

I will say, I have NEVER seen outdoor facilities being used at the rate they were used last year. Local little trails I would take pre COVID, where I never even saw another person the entire hike, were mobbed with people trying to get out and move around. Bicycles sold out of stores and you couldn't get any on craigslist - everyone was biking. I've never had to drive around groups of people walking together, walking dogs, walking baby strollers, that I see right now in my neighborhood, and saw all last year.

If anything, COVID has gotten us up off the couch and out into the beautiful outdoors. Are y'all not also seeing this?

Old Today, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's something to this idea, of just get on with it. Don't stay away from parks, lakes and beaches because you gained some weight last year. And I don't believe the 41+pounds average. That doesn't bear out, with what you can observe.

I'm big on the outdoors, and the benefits of spending an afternoon in the fresh air. Just do it. Just put on the bathing suit, or the capri pants and tennis shoes, and enjoy the sunshine. So, yes on the article.

I will say, I have NEVER seen outdoor facilities being used at the rate they were used last year. Local little trails I would take pre COVID, where I never even saw another person the entire hike, were mobbed with people trying to get out and move around. Bicycles sold out of stores and you couldn't get any on craigslist - everyone was biking. I've never had to drive around groups of people walking together, walking dogs, walking baby strollers, that I see right now in my neighborhood, and saw all last year.

If anything, COVID has gotten us up off the couch and out into the beautiful outdoors. Are y'all not also seeing this?
Well, for starters, they closed gyms so gym rats hit the outdoor stuff. Not sure if more people got active or not instead of just changing where they exercised.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

3,230 posts, read 839,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Food additives, sugar, and raw food amount intake are the main reasons for obesity. When you go to a country etc where most people are thin it’s not because they all work out hardcore, it’s because their food is healthier on average, they put like zero sugar in it and naturally eat less.
That and the chemicals that are allowed in our food that are not in other places. But that is not the whole story. There are many factors. Two others are 1) the food industry (including restaurant) propaganda/marketing 2) the stress of work and life is higher here than it is in other countries. We take food on the go instead of taking the time to make a nice meal or sit down at a restaurant for a nice meal.

Old Today, 06:57 AM

75,860 posts, read 35,614,776 times
Hmmm... I actually lost a few pounds during COVID, so now at 120 lb instead of 125 (female, 5'8", small frame). Why the loss? I chalk it up to less "social eating"... less going out to eat with family, friends, coworkers, etc. You know how people gain weight during the holiday party season every year? Wouldn't it make sense that they would lose weight when social eating is curtailed?

Old Today, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
That and the chemicals that are allowed in our food that are not in other places. But that is not the whole story. There are many factors. Three others are 1) the food industry (including restaurant) propaganda/marketing 2) the stress of work and life is higher here than it is in other countries. We take food on the go instead of taking the time to make a nice meal or sit down at a restaurant for a nice meal.
All of these factors make it easier to be obese, but doesn't excuse the decisions the obese person made.

If Americans are inactive due to desk jobs, eat less.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

2,625 posts, read 679,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
78% of the bad Covid outcomes (death and serious hospitalization) were obese people, according to the CDC.
FALSE^^^^^ 78% were obese or overweight. However 72% of adults in the US are either obese or overweight. So basically, the vast majority of the population is obese or overweight and the same population was impacted negatively by Covid.

Many people that appear to be normal weight (visually) in the US are actually overweight. This is because there are so many larger people in the US, that somewhat or slightly overweight has become the new normal.

Here's an easy BMI calculator which will tell if someone falls into normal, overweight, obese categories. Plug in weight and height and it will tells which category one fits into.

https://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

Old Today, 07:12 AM

1,451 posts, read 512,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... I actually lost a few pounds during COVID, so now at 120 lb instead of 125 (female, 5'8", small frame). Why the loss? I chalk it up to less "social eating"... less going out to eat with family, friends, coworkers, etc. You know how people gain weight during the holiday party season every year? Wouldn't it make sense that they would lose weight when social eating is curtailed?
Good for you! That's what I thought would happen during all the social restrictions but I guess not. Hubby and I lost some weight during the last year. We're in our sixties, in good shape and didn't go out to eat all that much before restrictions anyway but I thought the younger generation, like our kids who went out to eat ALL the time, would surely lose weight. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies