Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Obesity has been increasing steadily since ? Do wonder if more refined carbs, sugars replacing fats in foods, the whole "low fat" craze that started in the 80's, 90's has significantly increased rates of obesity. Healthy fats are not the enemy. And, technology has contributed to it, sitting more and less activity.
The evidence is clear. The overconsumption of ultra processed foods is what leads to obesity. Not carbs, not sugars or any one macronutrient. People just over consume more food.

The findings add to the growing evidence that ultra-processed food consumption is associated with obesity and support the potential role of ultra-processed foods in contributing to obesity in Australia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s413...%20disorders55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 11:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The data says you are wrong on food additives and sugar as the cause of obesity. The only thing that causes obesity is eating in a caloric surplus.
Wheat was modified.

I'd suggest you look into it but ...

Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Wheat was modified.

I'd suggest you look into it but ...
And? I don't need to look into it because I do not know of any study in existence that shows that modified wheat causes obesity. The simple fact is that overconsumption of foods is what causes obesity.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:52 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
For what it's worth, I'll share what my wife and I have been doing to keep the pounds off. We signed up for a vegan meal delivery service here in Seattle and we order online lunch and dinner for 5x a week. The food is delivered twice a week to ensure it's fresh. Spendy? Surprisingly it's a lot cheaper than going out to restaurants, that's for sure.

On the weekends, we veer off the diet and often go out to grab a meal at a restaurant.

Now this service may not be available to everybody especially in smaller towns. But we've loved the results! We have both lost weight when others are gaining.

Obviously eating vegan is not the tastiest and consuming it is a paradigm shift. Instead of having instant gratification go to your taste buds, you have to retrain the brain to understand the health benefits you get from eating plant based foods. Having the ability to cheat a bit on the weekends is what makes is sustainable for us

Thought I'd share!

Old 05-18-2021, 11:56 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Don't know about these weight gains over covid. We actually walked/hiked way more than ever since all kids activities were canceled and any plans we might typically have on weekends were scrapped. Even with some overindulgences on our part (maybe a little more alcohol consumption than usual and ordering out a bit more), I am actually down about 10 pounds as is my wife.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:00 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
For what it's worth, I'll share what my wife and I have been doing to keep the pounds off. We signed up for a vegan meal delivery service here in Seattle and we order online lunch and dinner for 5x a week. The food is delivered twice a week to ensure it's fresh. Spendy? Surprisingly it's a lot cheaper than going out to restaurants, that's for sure.

On the weekends, we veer off the diet and often go out to grab a meal at a restaurant.

Now this service may not be available to everybody especially in smaller towns. But we've loved the results! We have both lost weight when others are gaining.

Obviously eating vegan is not the tastiest and consuming it is a paradigm shift. Instead of having instant gratification go to your taste buds, you have to retrain the brain to understand the health benefits you get from eating plant based foods. Having the ability to cheat a bit on the weekends is what makes is sustainable for us

Thought I'd share!
I'm glad you found a solution.

Not to belittle it but I think the reason it worked was it's a meal plan (calorie controlled), and not because it's vegan. You'd have similar results give or take if it was a traditional diet, keto, paleo, whatever but with the same calories.

I doubt you were snacking on potato chips [vegan] during the day for example.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Its difficult to keep weight off for most folks, but it can be done and if it can't, a person can still eat right. But no matter what, fat or thin, why do people wear cloths which make them look worse: women who are in stretch pants, men in tank tops with the fat coming out...

A person can be large or fat and still look decent. Of course a person can be very thin and still dress bad also...I guess it comes down to taste.
I think you missed the point of the thread.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I've put on around 30 pounds over the past year and whatever.

I'm the fattest I've ever been in my lanky life, and I hate it! I don't know how to diet, as I never had the need, but I'm now learning.
You mainly need to have the willpower to eat less than before. One serving or one slice is always enough. No seconds.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpinetree View Post
it needs to be repeated.

Every single obese person is obese due to decisions they made. Sure, genes make it easier for some people to become obese, but if they stuck to a proper diet, they wouldn't be obese.

Corporations may put a lot of sugar and sodium in food because it makes food more tasty, but we don't have to overeat on such food.

I keep hearing poverty causes obesity. No it doesn't. Even if your only food option was mcdonalds, you could stick to a quarterpounder, no cheese, no fries, and water and that would be cheaper than a double-whooper, large fries, and a coca cola.

Americans have more choices to eat low calorie foods. One example is calorie free sodas. I'm in france right now, and it's far harder to find calorie free sodas here. There are bakeries on every corner selling pastries loaded with sugar and butter. Yet, people here are skinnier, much skinnier, in all age groups. They simply eat less. It's common for a french person to buy 1 pastry and split it with another and then not snack between meals.

i also feel that acceptance of obesity is leading to more obesity. The more obese people you see around you, the less you feel ashamed of your body. social pressure is a powerful force for humans. We saw it with masks in 2020. How many people wore masks just not to stand out, even though they didn't want to?
100%.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don’t understand why anyone cares what other people eat or look like.

Unless you’re in 1st grade that is.
Haven't you ever heard that looks are everything? Homely looking adults know how that goes more painfully than anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies