Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did we have to much muslim immigration?
Yes 139 69.15%
No 62 30.85%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:29 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There aren't sufficient background checks being done for Muslim immigrants either. Look at the San Bernardino, Ca incident where several Americans were murdered. Look at 9/11 as that's another example.
Look at January 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 10:35 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The problem is that there is no assimilation any more. They don’t think of themselves as Americans first, they think of themselves as displaced Palestinians, Somalis, Syrians, etc.

Since there is no assimilation, I’m in favor of the borders being closed and even forced deportations.

I am in favor of immigration where any person wants to be an American and immerse themselves in our culture and make America a better country. But again, we just aren’t seeing very much of that anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffSeason View Post
But what is 'American Culture'?
American culture is a way of life, a set of beliefs. The Constitution would be foundational. Belief in our form of governance and laws. Observing certain secular holidays, celebrations, customs, freedoms, ethics, a common language...People can share these things regardless of their religion, or lack of religion.

I remember when multiculturalism started to become a thing in academia in the early 90s. At the time, I thought "this seems cool." But watching it unfold into the tribal identitarianism we have now, it is clearly corrosive to our nation.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:36 AM

23,561 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
No. Not all Muslims are pro Palestinians. But I do understand that it is an collective cause. Arabs are amazing people and Arab women in America are effing hot. You guys should try one out sometime.

What I can say is this. America is a protestant nation and is post puritan. The tenents of America are not compatible with many faiths and thus causes a problem. Hell even main line white protestants are a problem in America. I domt blame the founding fathers of setting up Washington D.C inside catholic Maryland which is in between mainline white liberal northeast and the Evanagelist/Baptist South.

Quote:
I'm a first generation American. The thing about immigrants is this. We come to America for money. Immigrants can be an issue. Hey it was immigrant and an immigrant business that called the cops on George Floyd. Why weren't black activist and white liberals upset immigration?
Why weren't they, blm etc., upset that immigrants had called the cops, which was their right to do? They were. They tried to murder them at least three separate times, and, have been using it to pad their wallets at the store owners expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
We cannot set immigration policy based on the applicant's religion. That would be unconstitutional. We might be able to restrict immigration from particular countries based on other factors. But honestly, I don't think there has been a huge influx from Arab countries.

Why do you have a problem with these people participating in Free Palestine protests? As Americans, they have to same right to express their opinions as you and I do.
I agree. Though, Obama seemed to do exactly that with refugees and other immigrants ... they seemed to Muslim and rarely, if any, Christians.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:36 AM

727 posts, read 304,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffSeason View Post
Blatant Anti-Antisemitism like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Urp4Kn0XMQ&t=3s
As far as I know, no White Supremacists are sitting members of Congress or University Professors but feel free to correct me if I am wrong. It comes from both sides, but in different forms, the left is more passive aggressive by Tweeting and making subtle innuendos, the FAR RIGHT does things like the video you posted.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:37 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Can you offer a link for your stats on this?
Demographic portrait of Muslim Americans

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/...lim-americans/

Old 05-17-2021, 10:39 AM

23,561 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Look at January 6.
What does that date have to do with vetting, or not, Muslim refugees?

Old 05-17-2021, 10:40 AM

I refuse to demonize or paint a broad picture with any group, especially the Muslims. There are a lot of hard working family oriented families that assimilated to the US Culture and peaceful. Just like any other group.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyAndTheBoatman View Post
The far right uses dogwhistles. Just watch Tucker.
Not a fan of Tucker Carlson, but I will take your word for it. The issue at hand is that CNN is a left leaning media platform that is encouraging this anti-semitic behavior.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Let's great real - Muslims only make up 1% of the American population. They are twice as likely as native Americans to have a household income over $100k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Demographic portrait of Muslim Americans

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/...lim-americans/
From your link:

Muslims are about as likely as Americans in general to have a household income over $100,000. At the same time, they are more likely than Americans in general to have an income under $30,000. The survey also finds that Muslims are three times as likely as other Americans to be without a job and looking for work.

Your claim that they are twice as likely to have incomes over 100k is not what your link says. On the contrary, they are more likely to be incredibly poor, and out of work.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:43 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Causing the population to become old and unproductive. We're not having enough kids. We DEFINITELY need immigrants. Just not all that want to come. As long as we cherry pick the most productive ones, immigration is a strongly positive thing for the US>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Too much immigration period. America should have closed her borders in 1980...

(This thread will be shut down in 3..2..1...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies