Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:07 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83 - State of Texas link -- 23 new deaths for May 17th. Other sites say 28 -- 4th in the nation. California ranks 9th yesterday.
It's been confirmed to be 0 numerous times as noted above.

However, thank you for proving that liberals like you have no appreciation of what risk or acceptable risk is. Assuming that there were 23 deaths in Texas due to COVID (which is incorrect), the percentage of people who died from the disease would have been:

This is what people like you believe is an adequate justification for continuing endless lockdowns and forcing the entire population to wear useless cloth masks indefinitely.

The good news is that rational people are getting tired of your nonsense and this. is. over. It's a matter of weeks not months, so enjoy your panic while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 10:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It's been confirmed to be 0 numerous times as noted above.

However, thank you for proving that liberals like you have no appreciation of what risk or acceptable risk is. Assuming that there were 23 deaths in Texas due to COVID (which is incorrect), the percentage of people who died from the disease would have been:

This is what people like you believe is an adequate justification for continuing endless lockdowns and forcing the entire population to wear useless cloth masks indefinitely.

The good news is that rational people are getting tired of your nonsense and this. is. over. It's a matter of weeks not months, so enjoy your panic while you can.
Read my post again -- SLOWLY.

The OP posted Sunday stats.
I'm talking about Monday.

Was pointing out that the zero on Sunday --is totally irrelevant when on Monday you are at the top of the list.

And there is nothing in my post that makes any commentary on risk, etc. You made that up .

Old 05-17-2021, 10:17 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Read my post again -- SLOWLY.

The OP posted Sunday stats.

Was pointing out that the zero on Sunday --is totally irrelevant when on Monday you are at the top of the list.

And there is nothing in my post that makes any commentary on risk, etc. You made that up .
I've been reading your nonsense about the virus for 14 months, so no I didn't make a thing up.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I've been reading your nonsense about the virus for 14 months, so no I didn't make a thing up.
I've had a great year. Went on many trips, enjoyed many dinners out with friends, at friends, wined and dined...I'm not concerned about the risk......I follow guidelines and even was living with someone with COVID and didn't get it.

Your perception of my views on risk, the virus etc.....are slightly skewed because I don't like Trump....and so you create a story about how I feel or think.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:

Again, you're cherry picking. According to the Times (presumably the same source that the Gov was referring to), the deaths from one weak ago Monday was 55, way way lower than the 23. Now I don't expect the times number to be 23, I'm guessing a bit higher, but as long as it's a reasonable amount below 55 (or actually 43 since that's the current 7 day average), then that's a positive sign.

Plus your statement that it's "totally irrelevant" is logically "totally wrong". While of course comparing day over day is tenuous, esp given the well established pattern of reporting. That however doesn't make the Sunday total any less relevant because the true relevance is comparing week over week. As long as this last Sunday's total is lower than the previous Sunday's total, then that is most definitely relevant (assuming no changes in reporting methodologies of course).

Old 05-17-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Again, you're cherry picking. According to the Times (presumably the same source that the Gov was referring to), the deaths from one weak ago Monday was 55, way way lower than the 23. Now I don't expect the times number to be 23, I'm guessing a bit higher, but as long as it's a reasonable amount below 55 (or actually 43 since that's the current 7 day average), then that's a positive sign.

Plus your statement that it's "totally irrelevant" is logically "totally wrong". While of course comparing day over day is tenuous, esp given the well established pattern of reporting. That however doesn't make the Sunday total any less relevant because the true relevance is comparing week over week. As long as this last Sunday's total is lower than the previous Sunday's total, then that is most definitely relevant (assuming no changes in reporting methodologies of course).
The point of the thread was to suggest that relaxing mandates somehow was proving to not slow down Texas' recovery. MEH -- hard to say.

California had 18 deaths yesterday -- down from 28 a week ago.

Trying to pretend that Texas is doing so well even with no state guidelines is a silly game.

First, I live in South Carolina and we haven't had mandates for months. We aren't doing so good.
Second, without any real analysis of what each community is doing & what people are abiding by we have no way of knowing if a state mandate means more people wear masks than the states where there is no state mandate.

Last Friday I went grocery shopping, thinking nobody would be wearing a mask & everyone was wearing a mask.

Apparently it was better today according to friends.

And of course if a state doesn't report any cases on a Sunday, it is relevant when someone suggests that is some kind of accomplishment.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
The point of the thread was to suggest that relaxing mandates somehow was proving to not slow down Texas' recovery. MEH -- hard to say.

California had 18 deaths yesterday -- down from 28 a week ago.

Trying to pretend that Texas is doing so well even with no state guidelines is a silly game.

First, I live in South Carolina and we haven't had mandates for months. We aren't doing so good.
Second, without any real analysis of what each community is doing & what people are abiding by we have no way of knowing if a state mandate means more people wear masks than the states where there is no state mandate.

Last Friday I went grocery shopping, thinking nobody would be wearing a mask & everyone was wearing a mask.

Apparently it was better today according to friends.

And of course if a state doesn't report any cases on a Sunday, it is relevant when someone suggests that is some kind of accomplishment.
To address your last statement first, it should be obvious that TX has been reporting Sunday numbers or else the state would have had 0 deaths for many Sunday's now. Again, unless one can point to a change in the reporting process, you can't dismiss the fact that this Sunday has been the best in over a year.

Great that Cali is also seeing decreasing numbers and unfortunate that SC isn't doing as well. The general problem all along is that _both_ sides suffer from significant confirmation bias. Cali has stronger restrictions, Tx has looser, they are both doing well, IMHO this means that you can't claim that stronger restrictions help anymore than one can argue that having fewer restrictions doesn't hurt. That's the rub and the core issue, that most people completely ignore, is that arriving at solid conclusions is difficult because for any rule, there are many exceptions. Despite that folks have already decided what their version of "correct" is and blindly proffer their "proof" while single-mindedly attacking the "other side".

Old 05-17-2021, 10:48 PM

866 posts, read 319,736 times
Y'all are sad/funny. Maybe both. The point is that opening back up has NOT been the disaster that the fear mongers predicted.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
Y'all are sad/funny. Maybe both. The point is that opening back up has NOT been the disaster that the fear mongers predicted.
Bingo...it’s a real buzzkill to their narrative.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
No need to read past the headline. Google Texas Covid Deaths and it shows that on May 16th, there were 0 reported deaths. Now the displayed information is always 1 day off, so the 0 reported deaths was NOT for the 16th, but for the 15th, a Sunday. As I posted previously (and no one deemed it important enough to respond to), the reporting for the Times (the data that many folks like to link to) is a day behind.

So no, this isn't an issue of "read past the headline", but rather, it's more of being selective about how one measures things. And one can nitpick all they want, but as long as the source is consistent with their methodology of reporting, then trends (which are far more important than snapshots in time) can more reliable be ascertained.

Part of the problem with politicians not being trustworthy of the truth comes down to the fact that the populace can't be trustworthy of digesting and analyzing "the truth".
Imagine having a meltdown, because you don't have to wear a mask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies