Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the wave of the future?
Yes 158 49.69%
No 160 50.31%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:45 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What’s the issue exactly? Ford is rolling out the electric version of the most popular pickup truck in the country, the F150. What’s the problem exactly?
The F-150 may be popular but it is not a work truck, in spite of what their marketing shows.

EV might work, however inconvenient, in urbal/suburban areas where they are popular. But, not in my world.

And Ford had better fix some of the problems with the weak frame or all these torque they are putting in will be a wreck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 08:45 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
EVs are not environmentally viable.

Trying to create a millions of batteries by sourcing lithium isn’t going to happen.

EV's are a band aid, exactly for what, I'm unsure of. We won't see a complete transition from ICE vehicles until we have a major technological break through in power creation. It will happen, just when though ?

Old 05-19-2021, 08:47 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Check out the new Ford 150s tonight.
No thanks.

I had Fords for the majority of my life - Ford Ranger, EXP, F250, E150, Explorer, Expedition - but the new ones made me convert to Rams & Jeeps.

There's a reason the F series has been losing market share - and I doubt this EV will help get them back.

But we shall see.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yeah that's kind of like saying McDonald's has the best hamburgers in the world. The ones from your local mom & pops are not as good because they only make up a tiny fraction of all hamburgers sold.

The question is, are they the future? The question does not ask if electric vehicles are going to be the be all-end all. They simply ask are the, at some point, going to be the car of the future which the answer is obviously yes. There is nothing that says electric vehicles will be the future to the exclusion of the internal combustion engine.

As the EV continue to evolve they will continue to make progress and eventually become superior to the internal combustion engine. Are they there yet, nope. We're probably a decade or two away from where they need to be in order to be viable.

I just don't understand peoples obsession with jobs and the economy until it comes to ev....then it's "they suck and they will never amount to anything". It's just odd to me.

Wonder what the horse carriage companies complained about when the horseless carriage was invented. I'm guessing it's the same "it will never work" garbage.
Actually no. General Motors is McDonalds and they offer both types of hamburgers, but the public chooses the gasoline version.

And also, the horse and buggy isn't even a good analogy. A horse is obviously inferior to the combustion engine. The combustion engine is NOT obviously inferior to the electric. It's just DIFFERENT.

The only people telling us they are superior are the Enviro-doomers and the only reason they are supposedly better is because they don't use gasoline. Many people call BS, as this thread poll indicates.

You need some work on your analogies.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:52 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Yes. This is quite clearly the future. It just won’t happen as quickly as it’s biggest proponents would like.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:55 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Big Government and Big Corporation are pushing these big time. Why? MONEY. Corps can sell new stuff, and politicians can get more kick backs from their cronies. Happened with the back up cameras being a requirement, tire sensors, etc. This is MUCH, MUCH bigger is scale.

It has absolutely nothing to do with man made climate change, the environment, green energy nor green anything. Wake up Useful Idiots, you've been had, AGAIN.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:59 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Electric cars are cheaper to produce, but they don't sell for less. They WANT to make them because they will profit more from them.
If not for govt regs and subsidies there would be no market for them.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
EVs are not environmentally viable.

Trying to create a millions of batteries by sourcing lithium isn’t going to happen.

You make a good point... sourcing of lithium and cobalt will be a short term problem. Hopefully we can fix this problem... there's definitely a cost to all the technological crap we take for granted though.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/03/child-labour-toxic-leaks-the-price-we-could-pay-for-a-greener-future

Do you think the lefties who promote teslas even think about this from their gated communities? Not much more than they think about the consequences of letting in all these illegals or giving out UBI to people who can't even be bothered to go work at a gas station, much less mine for Cobalt in Africa. I actually do care about the working conditions of people in these foreign countries... I hate to see anyone exploited so we can reduce the cost of any technological gadget.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:08 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
The combustion engine is NOT obviously inferior to the electric. It's just DIFFERENT.
Not true, ask any mechanical engineer. A gasoline motor only converts about 30% of the fuel's energy into forward motion; 70% is lost mostly as heat. That's why gasoline cars are water cooled with radiators. Electric cars are the opposite, 80% of the energy is converted to forward motion. EV's don't have complicated transmissions, there's very little heat produced. Electric motors commonly have 90% efficiency.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:14 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Electric is one possible direction, makes no sense to sell the farm to go electric when other technologies are being researched and developed.

Makes no sense to destroy the economy doing it without transition.

Left says they can HELP you lose weight.... so they deprive you of all food, essentially starve you, depress your immune system, weaken your muscles, take away all your energy and brag about how they HELPED you lose weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies