Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the wave of the future?
Yes 158 49.69%
No 160 50.31%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And Israel and Palestine have agreed to a peace treaty...

Give me a break, there is no free lunch.

You cannot mass produce EVs without destroying the planet with those batteries.
Really? Have you heard about graphene batteries, solid state batteries or sodium ion batteries? Look them up.

Nobody said anything about lunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And with the shutdown creating a "deliver all of my goods directly to my door" world, tell that to the trucks making those deliveries.

My husband works for a company that supplies food to fulfillment centers. They're a super lefty company, and bought a huge fleet of electric delivery vehicles a few years back. They sold them just prior to the covid shutdown, because they were so unreliable, costly and inefficient. They lost quite a bit of money due to their woke experiment.
Better tell Amazon.

Amazon invested more than $1 billion in Rivian and ordered 100,000 electric delivery vans from the company.

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/tra...o-hit-the-road

Old 05-20-2021, 07:11 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Sure.. many people point out limitations of the EV technology today

However, this thread is about the future

If there is anything I've learned is that the progress of technology and pursuit of knowledge will eventually solve these limitations. The phones we carry around have many times the computing capability of the Space Shuttles that circled our orbit. When I was growing up much of the technology we take for granted today were considered fantasy/impossible. Heck, my parents thought the microwave oven was like "magic".

The tech that I've seen "abandoned" are those that seemingly solve problems that don't really exist or not desirable by any market. EVs are no longer uncommon on the streets today. That indicates there is a market.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:40 AM

As of December 2020 there were 1.74 million EVs and 90,000 public charging stations in America.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:07 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Did you see the specs on that F-150 EV they announced? 563 HP, 775 ft-lbs torque. 0-60 in the mid four second range. You will never see that in a gasser. EV future? Bring it on!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Did you see the specs on that F-150 EV they announced? 563 HP, 775 ft-lbs torque. 0-60 in the mid four second range. You will never see that in a gasser. EV future? Bring it on!
Guess you've never heard of the Ram TRX....702hp, 650ft/lb of torque. So...not quite never. EV is the future we are being guided towards, that I agree.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/eng.../2021/trx.html

Old 05-20-2021, 08:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
If I didn't live where the temperatures were under freezing from October through April and the average winter nightime low is 5 degrees F I'd consider one... But for a climate cold enough that you could plug your car into a block heater some mornings, I find the tech hasn't advanced enough yet...plus I'm glad I have a car because used car prices in general are way up.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:29 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A hoax? Thats....a weird response. Why do you believe that?

My low end electric vehicle is better then any other vehicle I have ever owned. Incredibly low maintenance and issues. Maybe you should go try and take a tesla for a test drive.
I don't know about them being a hoax, but they aren't the zero carbon emissions vehicles they are hyped up to be. The cars are charged by coal and gas power plants.

Plus, an all electric vehicle opens it's owner up to being royally screwed in the event of an electrical power outage. At least with a hybrid eclectic, or a fossil fuels car engine, you will be able to still drive to the store, work, etc...

Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sure.. many people point out limitations of the EV technology today

However, this thread is about the future

If there is anything I've learned is that the progress of technology and pursuit of knowledge will eventually solve these limitations. The phones we carry around have many times the computing capability of the Space Shuttles that circled our orbit. When I was growing up much of the technology we take for granted today were considered fantasy/impossible. Heck, my parents thought the microwave oven was like "magic".

The tech that I've seen "abandoned" are those that seemingly solve problems that don't really exist or not desirable by any market. EVs are no longer uncommon on the streets today. That indicates there is a market.
Progress and technology have not dealt with the issue of finite precious metals that these EV car batteries use. That is the ugly side of these vehicles. And if the US, with our 100 million cars, ever goes full EV, we will plunder these precious metal deposits all over the world. We need those precious metals for other things besides car batteries. Why risk not being able to adequately supply future technological needs by plundering these precious resources now, just for EV batteries?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:42 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Have you heard about graphene batteries, solid state batteries or sodium ion batteries? Look them up.

Nobody said anything about lunch

Graphene is fairly new and there are real concerns about its toxicity to humans, water, fish and plant life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies