Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the wave of the future?
Yes 158 49.69%
No 160 50.31%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 05:23 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

The government controls electricity production, distribution, and retail, to a much greater extent than they control oil & gas.

This explains Joe Biden's big push for electric cars. If all cars are electric, & gov't controls electricty, they control your movements.

Electric cars will have their day, but a new technology will come along to replace them. I dont think electric cars will last as long as gasoline cars have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 06:50 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"at the rate the planet is warming"

PSSST! It's been COOLING, which is why the environmentalists (in name only) changed their motto from "global WARMING" to "climate change"!
Why post this when you know it's misinformation? The global temperature is rising and everyone knows it.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:11 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
If anything holds EVs back it will be protectionist anti-business politicians. I find it borderline absurd that as of today there are still like 20 states where you can’t legally buy a Tesla, including Texas, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky.

Stupid hypocrite anti-business Republicans….

Old 05-21-2021, 07:13 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Yes, I believe that the government will force us to use electric vehicles in the future. Theiy did their best using bribery, paying people to buy them. That didn't work. Now they are making car manufacturers promise to quit making internal combustion engines. I don't know what threats or promises our tyrannical government is using to this end, but they are getting the result they want.

The funny thing is, I like electric cars. They have some advantages for some people. I like the reduction in moving parts. I like how little energy is used when stopped. I like no timing chain that destroys your overhead valve train when it breaks. I like the torque electric cars provide.

I just hate the government choosing winners and losers. The government is shoving electric vehicles down our throats. I don't know why, except that it is NOT in my best interest. I don't trust the government at all anymore. They are 100% against my best interest.

So, yes absolutely, I beleive EVs are America's future, because our government dictators have decreed this to be the case. I wasn't asked and won't be asked. I will be forced to buy a future EV, because no other alternative will be offered.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
why wouldn’t they be the future?

I’m not getting rid of my gas guzzler until it dies but my next car will be electric. Hopefully I don’t have to buy anytime soon.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:24 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yes, I believe that the government will force us to use electric vehicles in the future. Theiy did their best using bribery, paying people to buy them. That didn't work. Now they are making car manufacturers promise to quit making internal combustion engines. I don't know what threats or promises our tyrannical government is using to this end, but they are getting the result they want.

The funny thing is, I like electric cars. They have some advantages for some people. I like the reduction in moving parts. I like how little energy is used when stopped. I like no timing chain that destroys your overhead valve train when it breaks. I like the torque electric cars provide.

I just hate the government choosing winners and losers. The government is shoving electric vehicles down our throats. I don't know why, except that it is NOT in my best interest. I don't trust the government at all anymore. They are 100% against my best interest.

So, yes absolutely, I beleive EVs are America's future, because our government dictators have decreed this to be the case. I wasn't asked and won't be asked. I will be forced to buy a future EV, because no other alternative will be offered.
Yeah.. I hated when the government forced gas engines on us. The horse and carriage was just fine.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:33 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Yeah.. I hated when the government forced gas engines on us. The horse and carriage was just fine.
The govt didnt didn't replace the horse and buggy with the automobile, consumer preferences did. Analogy fail.
Speaking of, some version of the electric car has been around since the 1800's and consumer preferences have until recently regulated them to a novelty act.
Why the sudden change? See the subsidies,rhetoric, regulations,mandates, etc.emanating from DC. None of this should be confused with "what the customer wants" in any naturally occuring sense.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:50 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I have no idea why you think the government is forcing the EV issue. Almost every auto maker world wide is now manufacturing them...

Old 05-21-2021, 08:58 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
The materials for electronics/components let alone batteries are not infinite just like fossil fuels. Nor are they safer. Batteries in particular use a lot of metals which could be toxic to the environment and body. How much copper go into these cars. And what happens when the grid goes down, charging a car isn't like making a quick stop at a gas station.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:56 AM

795 posts, read 407,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
If anything holds EVs back it will be protectionist anti-business politicians. I find it borderline absurd that as of today there are still like 20 states where you can’t legally buy a Tesla, including Texas, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky.

Stupid hypocrite anti-business Republicans….
Well, if you stop to think about it for a minute, you will realize it is in part because EVs aren’t practical in those particular states. Look at Montana. It is a HUGE state with a low population density and very, very long stretches of empty road and highway between towns. EVs would absolutely SUCK to own in that state. You wouldn’t make it from one city to the next on a single charge there. Also, Montana gets some pretty serious winter weather. Power outages mean you can’t charge the things. Deep snow, you won’t get very far in your Tesla. Cold in the winter means you have the heat blasting which drains your battery faster and hurts your range severely.

Dakotas, similar to Montana as well as the fact that most of our domestic oil comes from there. Why would they want to support their competition?

As has been said many times in this thread. EVs may be all well and good for city and suburb dwellers in LA, San Francisco, Long Island, Seattle, etc. but for the bulk of the country and those living outside of suburban hell, they just aren’t a good option at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies