Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:12 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Do you think "you can if you want" is a mandate?
I think a school or a government organization insisting that masks are mandatory for certain groups of people, or for everyone, is a mandate. That is the practice that has been banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 04:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, apparently you do not understand English. Optional means not required. So the order has no meaning because the current school year (masks still required by multiple districts) ends BEFORE June 4th.
Those who live in glass houses ....

Spartacus was responding to the following statement:

Quote:
School districts already said that masks are going to be optional in the Fall.

So the obvious the issue with "English" here is the statement "School districts" which does not in and of itself imply ALL school districts (which the EO effectively enforces) as well as "are going to be" which is not a statement of official policy (which again the EO enforces). If that poster had said:

"All Texas school districts had already changed their official policies to make masks optional in the fall ..."

then Spartacus' response would have been out of place. As stated however, their response seems perfectly reasonable.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:35 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Yep our daughter's school already stated a few weeks ago that masks will be optional after June. Will be nice for the kids to get back to normal starting next school year.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:56 PM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Those who live in glass houses ....

Spartacus was responding to the following statement:

So the obvious the issue with "English" here is the statement "School districts" which does not in and of itself imply ALL school districts (which the EO effectively enforces) as well as "are going to be" which is not a statement of official policy (which again the EO enforces). If that poster had said:

"All Texas school districts had already changed their official policies to make masks optional in the fall ..."

then Spartacus' response would have been out of place. As stated however, their response seems perfectly reasonable.
Yeah, except that this is not what he meant, obviously, as demonstrated by the first sentence:

"The EO by Governor Abbott means that is no longer the case."

But ok, since you are policing, I'll be sure to reply more formally next time, lol.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:21 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Personally, I would have preferred that such decisions be made at the local level. The needs of Harris County are vastly different from those of Loving County, and a "one size fits all" edict won't cover such a huge variety of situations.

No.

Such things need to be made on a personal level.

You want to wear a mask forever?

Have at it.

But don't try to dictate that others do the same just to make you feel better.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:28 PM

121 posts, read 41,522 times
The loony left is going to starting to feel powerless without being able to tell others what to do. Why don't they develop a murder hornet face shield and yell at everyone for not wearing one?

Old 05-18-2021, 05:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
TX and FL are leading the way. TX also had a hearing about 'vaccine mandates', and want nothing to do with it as it violates peoples individual rights.

Here's an article:

https://texasscorecard.com/state/sen...ine-passports/

And here's a video of the actual hearing:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/DGVM3hUJBJqU/

Apparently FL already put it into law.

Hopefully more states will follow suit. I've lived in both, and they are way too hot for me. If no other state wants to protect peoples individual rights...I'll have to go back to the horrid humidity.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Remember lefties... new cases no longer matter.... anyone who wants the vaccine can get it. The people who get covid now are the ones like me who were fighting you the entire pandemic when it came to masks, except I got the vaccine, they didn't... so it's time for FREEDOM. No masks in schools either.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:18 PM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
TX and FL are leading the way. TX also had a hearing about 'vaccine mandates', and want nothing to do with it as it violates peoples individual rights.

Here's an article:

https://texasscorecard.com/state/sen...ine-passports/

And here's a video of the actual hearing:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/DGVM3hUJBJqU/

Apparently FL already put it into law.

Hopefully more states will follow suit. I've lived in both, and they are way too hot for me. If no other state wants to protect peoples individual rights...I'll have to go back to the horrid humidity.
Yeah with Florida it's especially funny, since the governor apparently thought that he can go around banning businesses from requiring proof of vaccination. It backfired with the cruise lines rather nicely and put him in a pickle, lol.

At least the TX governor understood that he can't tell businesses what not to require.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:30 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah with Florida it's especially funny, since the governor apparently thought that he can go around banning businesses from requiring proof of vaccination. It backfired with the cruise lines rather nicely and put him in a pickle, lol.

At least the TX governor understood that he can't tell businesses what not to require.

The Texas Governor can't. But the Texas Legislature can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies