Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 12:49 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Drugs are for people who can't handle reality.
Everything is a drug.

Food is a drug, it releases feel good chemicals in the brain.
Sex is a drug.
Sunlight is a drug.
A fresh breeze on a hot day is a drug.
Caffeine is a drug.
Alcohol is a drug.

We are pleasure seekers.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:01 PM

7,897 posts, read 3,447,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Drugs are for people who can't handle reality.
So is fiction...novels, movies, TV shows. I have an aquarium I like to look at sometimes. Staring in to it is like being in another world. Sometimes when I'm on a hike I like to look around and see nothing but nature, no technology or anything, and imagine I'm in a different time. It's escapism. We all have our ways. The trick is not to let the escape cause you to neglect your reality. That could be someone being high or drunk all the time, or getting so caught up in a hobby that they ignore their obligations. The person who has a nightcap after work, be it a glass of beer or wine or a whiskey on the rocks, or a few puffs off a bowl...he's relaxing, he's escaping reality a little, then the next day he gets up and goes to work again. He's probably less stressed out than the guy who feels like he always has to be "on" and tuned in to their responsibilities.

So drugs like alcohol and marijuana can be an escape from reality for a time but they don't indicate that someone can't handle reality anymore than any form of escapism can potentially do so if taken to excess.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:04 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Again, we just disagree. I think cigarettes smell far worse.
Pot carries MUCH farther. I have lived in several apartments and the only time we smelled out smoking neighbors is when they did pot.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think they both smell like ****. I'd rather be around someone smoking shredded tire rubber.
Pretty much. I can have a drink and not bother neighbors with the smell. We live in a middle class neighborhood now, and you know exactly which houses smoke pot. You would not know which ones smoked cigarettes. It is irritating being on your back patio and being surrounded by pot smoke. Yuck! Ruins outdoor time, plus it means I am being exposed to second hand smoke - something else I don't have to worry about if a neighbor has a drink.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
So is fiction...novels, movies, TV shows. I have an aquarium I like to look at sometimes. Staring in to it is like being in another world. Sometimes when I'm on a hike I like to look around and see nothing but nature, no technology or anything, and imagine I'm in a different time. It's escapism. We all have our ways. The trick is not to let the escape cause you to neglect your reality. That could be someone being high or drunk all the time, or getting so caught up in a hobby that they ignore their obligations. The person who has a nightcap after work, be it a glass of beer or wine or a whiskey on the rocks, or a few puffs off a bowl...he's relaxing, he's escaping reality a little, then the next day he gets up and goes to work again. He's probably less stressed out than the guy who feels like he always has to be "on" and tuned in to their responsibilities.

So drugs like alcohol and marijuana can be an escape from reality for a time but they don't indicate that someone can't handle reality anymore than any form of escapism can potentially do so if taken to excess.
Look, I think there is something to this. Many people need an escape, and I'm always suspicious of people who say they don't once in a while. However, at the same time we cannot ignore the social consequences of basically encouraging more drug use, and this goes for all drugs. It has been proven that as marijuana use increases so do these social consequences. It is no different from alcohol except I'm not sure there is a "partial" high that would be equivalent to having ONE drink to relax a bit. Alcohol also does not smell bad!

Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Everything is a drug.

Food is a drug, it releases feel good chemicals in the brain.
Sex is a drug.
Sunlight is a drug.
A fresh breeze on a hot day is a drug.
Caffeine is a drug.
Alcohol is a drug.

We are pleasure seekers.
Please stop with silly "comparisons." For one, thing, you can't get pulled over by the police for consuming food, or getting some sunlight, or consuming caffeine.

You can when consuming alcohol, though, which is one reason why I avoid it.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:20 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Look, I think there is something to this. Many people need an escape, and I'm always suspicious of people who say they don't once in a while. However, at the same time we cannot ignore the social consequences of basically encouraging more drug use, and this goes for all drugs. It has been proven that as marijuana use increases so do these social consequences. It is no different from alcohol except I'm not sure there is a "partial" high that would be equivalent to having ONE drink to relax a bit. Alcohol also does not smell bad!
There is a dosage that causes a high that varies from person to person. Popping a cbd heavy edible with 2-5mg of thc is better medicine than many prescriptions/over the counter medications without getting a high from it and has zero impact on anyone else.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There is a dosage that causes a high that varies from person to person. Popping a cbd heavy edible with 2-5mg of thc is better medicine than many prescriptions/over the counter medications without getting a high from it and has zero impact on anyone else.
No argument from me on medical uses. It is much safer than oxy and other such pain killers. As you say, in digestible form, it does not smell either or cause lung damage that smoking does. Anything used in excess is not good for any individual or society.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:31 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It has nothing to do with health concerns. Covid has demonstrated that these states put health in the back seat. Marijuana has been the means to the end of locking up as many black men as possible. Texas and Florida won't give it up without a fight.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
...as I cite studies
Those studies are old. Here are some newer ones. It could be the science is not settled on it. However, common sense tells me that setting a plant and paper on fire and inhaling it is probably not good for me.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0111084226.htm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/healt...ess/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies