Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 08:34 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Opium is much much better for that kind of pain...the only problem is, you need a strong version and need to take it at least 3-4 times per day (considering the short action of opioids), roughly 2-4 hours and they are wearing off.

We have to get past this demonizing of opioids, its the EXACT same thing that was done to Marijuana decades ago...Im not sure why more people cannot recognize that?!!

If you listen to the 'experts' today, they will have you believing anyone who takes an opioid, will go mad and start a killing spree, they believe the drug is literally 'evil' by itself! (if these people had been alive at the time of the Salem witch trials, they would have been yelling 'WITCH' left and right. lol
This is a weird take. Opioids have been wreaking havoc on the US populace for the last decade. They are extremely addictive and have a knack for ruining peoples lives. I find it far more troubling than cannabis.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This is a weird take. Opioids have been wreaking havoc on the US populace for the last decade. They are extremely addictive and have a knack for ruining peoples lives. I find it far more troubling than cannabis.
People thought the same exact thing about Marijuana for many years too!

Govt is pretty good at 'brainwashing'...look at how long it took for people to come around with Marijuana!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
People thought the same exact thing about Marijuana for many years too!

Govt is pretty good at 'brainwashing'...look at how long it took for people to come around with Marijuana!
That may be the case on marijuana but I don’t think many people would dispute the negative impact opioid addiction has had on the US over the last decade. There is pretty strong data to support this. Many Americans have loved ones who have either died from an opioid overdose or whose life has been ruined as a result of an opioid addiction. This stuff is pretty well established at this point.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:26 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
I'm in Florida and I voted for Medical Marijuana. I haven't heard of Desantis (as much as I loathe him) wanting to Jail people for recreational use.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:40 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Cool story and I would not be amazed. I am sure there are many people that occasionally smoke pot that are functional human beings - I probably wouldn't even know that they smoke pot. However, most frequent pot smokers that I know are dysfunctional in most aspects of life. I know quite a few in tech (mostly the gaming industry) that can barely tie their shoes but are good at the one thing they are hyperfocused on.

So with that in mind, I am ok if they chose to build Mars rovers and Playstations while living elsewhere.
That's not marijuana that's aspergers. Many in tech have mild to moderate cases of it.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
That may be the case on marijuana but I don’t think many people would dispute the negative impact opioid addiction has had on the US over the last decade. There is pretty strong data to support this. Many Americans have loved ones who have either died from an opioid overdose or whose life has been ruined as a result of an opioid addiction. This stuff is pretty well established at this point.
Dont you think they had a pretty strong case against marijuana in those days too?

Google public opinion on Marijuana in the 1930s and 40s, you will see many people talking about family or friends that had horrible consequences due to using pot.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:55 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
We have to get past this demonizing of opioids, its the EXACT same thing that was done to Marijuana decades ago...Im not sure why more people cannot recognize that?!!
I had a friend who became addicted to opioids that started as a prescription from a doctor. He went from a very nice, friendly, trustworthy guy with a high-paying job in the tech industry to an addict you could not trust in your home, lost his job, lost his home, lost his wife, and ended up on the street, stealing to support his addiction. It was incredibly sad, and he was the last guy on earth I would ever have thought would become addicted to drugs. Yeah, opioids are harmless.

Years later, he finally got his life straightened out AFTER a horrible and long process of breaking the addiction.

I've also had friends whose lives were ruined by alcohol and other drugs. I haven't known anyone who completely fell apart because of pot, but some of them weren't much fun to be around--they became "burn-outs." A heavy-duty pothead is a lot like a sex addict kind of thing--they still function, but the only thing that really matters to them in life is that next lay (or joint, for heavy-potheads). Kind of makes the rest of life irrelevant to them. I don't see that as a plus.

(if anyone is considering asking how I knew all these dysfunctional people: I was a professional musician for a number of years in the 1980s. That should clear it up for you)

Old 05-20-2021, 10:01 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
CO was Normandy Beach in the war on drugs. Us liberals have liberated CA, MA, MI, IL, NY, NJ, VA. The battles of Texas, Florida and the poor states will take as long as it takes. On to Berlin.
No link. What in the world are you talking about?

Old 05-20-2021, 10:02 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
You left one important factor out of your equation of thinking. The weed they grow today is about 1000 times more powerful did it ever was in its natural state back when Native Americans smoked their peace pipes. Even back during the 60s hippie movement. Marijuana today has been highbred and it’s a very hard drug compared to years gone past.

That said, I could careless if you smoke it. I’m. Live and let live myself. About most topics Like this. If It’s not hurting someone innocent, and you enjoy it then have at it.
Do you think there is just this one super strain available? Also, all that such selective breeding has done to increase yield is reduce the cost. In the end it still comes down to how many mg of thc it takes to get the desired effect. 10mg is a good Saturday night dose for me. All that it means is that it takes less plant to get that. Edibles generally come in 100mg pouches. So one pouch is generally good for 10 weeks or more. If I smoked it, it would just mean I would take a couple hits.

Kind of like with fast food, just because a "medium" soda is now a freaking giant 32 oz cup doesn't mean you have to finish it or order the medium to begin with.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I had a friend who became addicted to opioids that started as a prescription from a doctor. He went from a very nice, friendly, trustworthy guy with a high-paying job in the tech industry to an addict you could not trust in your home, lost his job, lost his home, lost his wife, and ended up on the street, stealing to support his addiction. It was incredibly sad, and he was the last guy on earth I would ever have thought would become addicted to drugs. Yeah, opioids are harmless.

Years later, he finally got his life straightened out AFTER a horrible and long process of breaking the addiction.

I've also had friends whose lives were ruined by alcohol and other drugs. I haven't known anyone who completely fell apart because of pot, but some of them weren't much fun to be around--they became "burn-outs." A heavy-duty pothead is a lot like a sex addict kind of thing--they still function, but the only thing that really matters to them in life is that next lay (or joint, for heavy-potheads). Kind of makes the rest of life irrelevant to them. I don't see that as a plus.

(if anyone is considering asking how I knew all these dysfunctional people: I was a professional musician for a number of years in the 1980s. That should clear it up for you)
Prescription opioids were MUCH safer than illegal street opioids, like heroin...users knew what they were taking, with Heroin, anything and everything could be in that powder!

Plus with prescription drugs, its made by legitimate pharma companies, that are regulated and have quality standards they must adhere to...none of that with heroin, its made in jungle huts...

Besides all of that, heroin was a problem in the 1930s too...but the narcotics division considered marijuana to be much more serious at that time...Dont you think they had a reason for saying that? Or were heroin users at that time able to use and still function?

Keep in mind that Heroin was the same back then, as it is today, Marijuana was much weaker in those days though, compared to todays pot...so its very interesting they still considered marijuana to be the more dangerous drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies