Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 01:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The American Taliban instituting it's own brand of Sharia Law. We as a country better decide if we want to become a fundamentalist religious state and be ruled by our own form of the Taliban or not. Allowing this abomination of a law to stand is exactly what this will lead to.
I won't be surprised new abortion bans in states will stand if women can easily go around them to end their pregnancies by simply downing abortion inducing drugs. Plan B will become more popular, too. Bans on drugs can be worked around, too. As a result, no shocking stories of women dying from not being able to get needed abortions. So no motivation will arise to do the work to repeal abortion bans. Women are welcome to prove me wrong.

If abortion ban laws are allowed to prevail, then no doubt the next goal for the religious right is to get rid of all LGBT rights.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-04-2021 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 04:28 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I won't be surprised new abortion bans in states will stand if women can easily go around them to end their pregnancies by simply downing abortion inducing drugs. Plan B will become more popular, too. Bans on drugs can be worked around, too. As a result, no shocking stories of women dying from not being able to get needed abortions. So no motivation will arise to do the work to repeal abortion bans. Women are welcome to prove me wrong.

If abortion ban laws are allowed to prevail, then no doubt the next goal for the religious right is to get rid of all LGBT rights.
This is all bad timing for the GOP. Sure short term they can do a victory dance on this. But Biden and the dems have all sorts of problems now. Afghanistan, Covid, the hurricane and the economy slowing down. Biden is down to 43% approval. Looked like the midterms were ripe for the GOP to make big gains.

But now this Texas law is going to invigorate the dems like nothing else. Especially since most red states will quickly pass copycat bills in their state. Instead of focusing on Biden and all the things going wrong they will focus on the GOP. And if the SCOTUS does not take this up look for Biden to pack the courts and the new normal of each party flipping the supremes their way each time they take the white house.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This is all bad timing for the GOP. Sure short term they can do a victory dance on this. But Biden and the dems have all sorts of problems now. Afghanistan, Covid, the hurricane and the economy slowing down. Biden is down to 43% approval. Looked like the midterms were ripe for the GOP to make big gains.

But now this Texas law is going to invigorate the dems like nothing else. Especially since most red states will quickly pass copycat bills in their state. Instead of focusing on Biden and all the things going wrong they will focus on the GOP. And if the SCOTUS does not take this up look for Biden to pack the courts and the new normal of each party flipping the supremes their way each time they take the white house.
I think you’re missing the larger point that the majority of Americans don’t want this. And they certainly don’t want this bizarre law where a behavior is declared illegal but the state has no intention of prosecuting violators. And now citizens are encouraged to
Point wild fingers around at others they think may have abetted the crime and there’s no way to
Push back. The right will certainly realize they don’t want that crazy unbalanced tactic used against THEM, and the smart ones know it will eventually unless this gets knocked down.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 6,206,522 times
A couple of things to respond to some recent posts -

Someone can only be sued under this law for aiding/abetting if s/he did so knowingly. So the UPS driver, etc. could not. The more difficult question is the Uber driver. The law provides an affirmative defense if the aiding/abetting defendant thought the doctor would perform the heartbeat test and follow the law if there was a heartbeat. The law also says it is the defendant's burden to prove. So I wonder if Uber drivers who are hired for rides to the clinic will be questioning the women and recording their answers? Just a little intrusive. I expect most women will simply ask for a ride to a nearby shop and walk from there.

The law specifically prohibits defendants from collecting their court costs if they prevail. This is really unfortunate. It cuts down on the incentive for people to file these suits based on suspicion, innuendo or malice.

Sadly I think this law will have the effect I expect the legislators intended. Clinics will comply and go out of businesses because, as many have pointed out here, it is rare that a woman knows she is pregnant at 6 weeks. So if the clinic only performs procedures on those women who are aware they are pregnant that early, they won't be able to survive financially. And by the time the cases challenging the law work their way through the slow court system, there won't be any providers left in Texas anyway. That is why the Supreme Court action is such a big deal. They sis not rule on the law itself, but merely refused to place an emergency stay on it.

Here is a link to the law for anyone else who may be interested in reading the actual text: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB8/id/2395961

Old 09-04-2021, 05:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
A couple of things to respond to some recent posts -

Someone can only be sued under this law for aiding/abetting if s/he did so knowingly. So the UPS driver, etc. could not. The more difficult question is the Uber driver. The law provides an affirmative defense if the aiding/abetting defendant thought the doctor would perform the heartbeat test and follow the law if there was a heartbeat. The law also says it is the defendant's burden to prove. So I wonder if Uber drivers who are hired for rides to the clinic will be questioning the women and recording their answers? Just a little intrusive. I expect most women will simply ask for a ride to a nearby shop and walk from there.

The law specifically prohibits defendants from collecting their court costs if they prevail. This is really unfortunate. It cuts down on the incentive for people to file these suits based on suspicion, innuendo or malice.

Sadly I think this law will have the effect I expect the legislators intended. Clinics will comply and go out of businesses because, as many have pointed out here, it is rare that a woman knows she is pregnant at 6 weeks. So if the clinic only performs procedures on those women who are aware they are pregnant that early, they won't be able to survive financially. And by the time the cases challenging the law work their way through the slow court system, there won't be any providers left in Texas anyway. That is why the Supreme Court action is such a big deal. They sis not rule on the law itself, but merely refused to place an emergency stay on it.

Here is a link to the law for anyone else who may be interested in reading the actual text: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB8/id/2395961
I think you may have misspoken. This law RAISES the incentive for malicious fraudulent allegations because the plaintiff has absolutely nothing to lose.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:20 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Part of it is about Christianity. Half of it is driven by the desire to inflict pain on women by men who hate women.
And you know this how?

Old 09-04-2021, 05:27 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I think you may have misspoken. This law RAISES the incentive for malicious fraudulent allegations because the plaintiff has absolutely nothing to lose.
In a fraudulent allegation filing, the plaintiff loses all their costs of the lawsuit.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In a fraudulent allegation filing, the plaintiff loses all their costs of the lawsuit.
Which would be virtually none. They don’t stand to have to pay anything at all. Unlike the defendant who has to pay all court costs plus 10k

Old 09-04-2021, 05:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
The Left is just ticked off because the right is now using their tactics against them. This is a form of lawfare.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:39 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
I think you’re missing the larger point that the majority of Americans don’t want this. And they certainly don’t want this bizarre law where a behavior is declared illegal but the state has no intention of prosecuting violators. And now citizens are encouraged to
Point wild fingers around at others they think may have abetted the crime and there’s no way to
Push back. The right will certainly realize they don’t want that crazy unbalanced tactic used against THEM, and the smart ones know it will eventually unless this gets knocked down.
We don't have a real majority of Americans on any issue. Very tribal now with each side about the same size more or less on each side of an issue. You are looking at it from the left and think that those on the right will see this law the way you do, but that is not going to happen. And reality is abortions in Texas will grind to a halt. No one will be telling on anyone because there is nothing to tell.

It plays well to the GOP base. They figured out a way of passing a law that is hard to block implementation in the courts. Even though its likely to be eventually stopped because it clearly violates Roe v Wade the GOP will call it a victory because at the least they made the left squirm about this. I was listening to some on the left talking about it and how this sort of thing could be used to ban guns if blue states passed a similar law. Especially if Biden packs the courts.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx

If you look at the Gallup poll. Its about a 50-50 split on abortion. And surprising like more than 20% of GOP are pro choice and over 20% of dems are pro-life. So really 40% or so of the voters are pro life GOP and about 40% of voters are pro choice Dems. The other 20% are at odds with their party on abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies