Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. And, if this law is allowed to stand more red states will enact similar legislation. Some may not even wait to see.

The backlash has barely started and it is going to be huge.

So shortsighted and damaging to the Republican party.

Way to go Texas!
You're overestimating the number of Americans that believe abortion is morally acceptable. They are, in fact, underwater. More Americans believe abortion is morally unacceptable. I've already posted the chart.

And, granted that this is the latest data available, the global perspective on abortion is even less favorable than it is in the US:

Global Morality of Issues - Pew Research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
I think you are wrong on all points.
Feel free to explain a point or two...

Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
I think you are wrong on all points.
You can't refute any of them. For example, women legislators in TX did indeed vote to pass the law. It's politics. A representative poll of registered voters in TX indicated a majority supported the law. The TX Legislature gave them what they wanted.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Agreed. And, if this law is allowed to stand more red states will enact similar legislation. Some may not even wait to see.

The backlash has barely started and it is going to be huge.

So shortsighted and damaging to the Republican party.

Way to go Texas!
So?

If you live in those states, cast your vote.

What you said is what has been happening with California. They pass looney bin regulations and laws, and other states copy. Maybe it's time to allow this to spread and let's see what happens.

Maybe the goalposts for choice will move from the choice of killing a living being, to the choice of whether or not the man and woman should take the risk of getting pregnant.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:35 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So?

If you live in those states, cast your vote.

What you said is what has been happening with California. They pass looney bin regulations and laws, and other states copy. Maybe it's time to allow this to spread and let's see what happens.

Maybe the goalposts for choice will move from the choice of killing a living being, to the choice of whether or not the man and woman should take the risk of getting pregnant.
My hope is that women will become more proactive and prepared with their birth control.

Keep abortion legal and safe … and extremely rare.

It’s 2021. There are a large variety of birth control methods available no matter where you live thanks to the internet, and emergency contraception methods that cover women up until 10 weeks. Abortion should remain a last-resort solution.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:37 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Feel free to explain a point or two...
What makes you think I didn't feel free?

If there is something specific you want to discuss feel free to let me know.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
My hope is that women will become more proactive and prepared with their birth control.

It’s 2021. There are a large variety of birth control methods available no matter where you live thanks to the internet, and emergency contraception methods that cover women up until 10 weeks. Abortion should remain a last-resort solution.
I am all for abortion, if people pay for it themselves. If I am paying through taxes, then I have say in what's choice.

If it's truly a pro-choice issue, that choice should include how people will choose to spend their own resources. Then I will have nothing to say.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:53 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're overestimating the number of Americans that believe abortion is morally acceptable. They are, in fact, underwater. More Americans believe abortion is morally unacceptable. I've already posted the chart.

And, granted that this is the latest data available, the global perspective on abortion is even less favorable than it is in the US:

Global Morality of Issues - Pew Research
The subject is more nuanced than that. All you have to do is look at your poll results for extramarital activities to understand that.

Most people will tell you they think affairs are immoral. Many of those same people will end up in an affair.

Abortion is the same. Plenty of people who would not have one or think they wouldn't have one don't care much if other people do.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
I am all for abortion, if people pay for it themselves. If I am paying through taxes, then I have say in what's choice.

If it's truly a pro-choice issue, that choice should include how people will choose to spend their own resources. Then I will have nothing to say.
I don’t like seeing the oft-repeated litany of excuses for women not managing their reproductive needs better. They’re poor, they don’t own cars, they live rurally …. It’s just like the debate over black people getting ID cards. It’s tired and overused and it’s not really acceptable in our day and age.

I want women, who have proven we can do ANYTHING, to get a little smarter and proactive on this front. A surgical abortion can be avoided much of the time if women simply act promptly. The numbers of abortion continue to decrease but I think we can do even better.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:57 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post

The age group most at risk IMO are young teens to early twenties. Generally speaking teens, many of them don’t plan on having sex one night they get carried away. If they find themselves having sex they are immature enough they don’t think far ahead of the moment. They doubt they will get pregnant. They are far too embarrassed nor have the wherewithal to seek birth control. I knew pregnant young people who never truly thought about the ramifications from pregnancy until they gave birth. Like scarlet O’Hara tomorrow is another day. Birth control and more education in schools would go a long way but many parents object. The young twenty something a percentage thinks the same or just doesn’t care, much like a man that continues to have unprotected sex. They’ll take the chance. Hard to regulate human nature. If I put my choice forward they would all use bc but that’s unrealistic. I also don’t think they make great parents. I support abortion for the ones that want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies