Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 06:33 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,432,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Yes. I know.

Now you know better.
No, I don't know better; I realize that I read too fast and skipped the word contraceptive.

But, whatever.

That doesn't change the fact that now Kristi Noem is busy restricting rights to an easy termination of pregnancy using a pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Texas Republicans are going to get voted out, especially if horror stories start coming out about women dying or suffering over the new law. For starters, that a rapist can profit off his crime by suing anybody for $10,000 associated with helping the pregnant woman he raped get an abortion is disgusting. Did so much as one woman help write such a law? I doubt it.

In 2018, voters in Ireland had enough of the horror stories and voted in favor of repealing their near total ban on abortion by 66%.
I agree if this law is allowed to stand for any length of time there will be horror stories.

One can only imagine what may come out of the bounty hunter feature. Although, interestingly something I read suggested that the person bringing suit will be identifiable so if true they may face their own horror stories.

There were about 6-7 women who helped pass the law just from going on names. Whether or not they were involved in writing it or fully understood all the details, who knows.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 hours ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,916,813 times
So. This thread seems to be somewhat caught up in whether abortion is moral, and women should be more responsible when having sex, and is less about this specific Texas law, that is unique in how it's being enforced.

Imagine this law were about running stop lights instead of abortion. If the State decided they weren't going to issue tickets for running stop lights; it would be up to the public to sue when they suspected this had happened.

So imagine a guy tells his friend, "Amy took me to work yesterday and she ran a stop light". So the guy immediately starts a civil law suit. Not against Amy, but against anyone who might have helped Amy drive that day. Did anyone help buy her the car? Pay for her gas? Jump her car battery that morning when it wouldn't start? THEY'D be taken to civil court.

And if it's found that Amy didn't, in fact, run a stoplight that day because her car's been in the shop for a week, those who helped her drive would be without any recourse whatsoever. They're out their lawyer's fee, their days off work, their time spent in depositions, etc.

Amy would likely be called to be a witness but wouldn't otherwise be involved in the litigation. And the guy who lied about this whole stoplight running incident because Amy had rejected his advances would be completely off the hook, as far as any repercussions.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY THIS NEW ABORTION LAW IS WRITTEN. I'M NOT EXAGGERATING.

Capiche?

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-08-2021 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yep, cut off all avenues and FORCE those women to give birth.

How about forced vasectomies for every man who impregnates a woman outside of marriage?

Oh, heavens, can you just imagine the outcry from the men of the GOP? Yet the men walk away scot free. As usual.
I think we can all imagine the outcry lol and not just from GOP men.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. This thread seems to be somewhat caught up in whether abortion is moral, and women should be more responsible when having sex, and is less about this specific Texas law, that is unique in how it's being enforced.

Imagine this law were about running stop lights instead of abortion. If the State decided they weren't going to issue tickets for running stop lights; it would be up to the public to sue when they suspected this had happened.

So imagine a guy tells his friend, "Amy took me to work yesterday and she ran a stop light". So the guy immediately starts a civil law suit. Not against Amy, but against anyone who might have helped Amy drive that day. Did anyone help buy her the car? Pay for her gas? Jump her car battery that morning when it wouldn't start? THEY'D be taken to civil court.

And if it's found that Amy didn't, in fact, run a stoplight that day because her car's been in the shop for a week, those who helped her drive would be without any recourse whatsoever. They're out their lawyer's fee, their days off work, their time spent in depositions, etc.

Amy would likely be called to be a witness but wouldn't otherwise be involved in the litigation. And the guy who lied about this whole stoplight running incident because Amy had rejected his advances would be completely off the hook, as far as any repercussions.

Capiche?
Yes that is about how bizarre it is. Not sure if the woman getting or suspected of getting an abortion will be able to be called into court. The law reads like the check list record the doctor is required to prepare is an affirmative defense.

Also as I posted before I have seen something I cant recall where that said the accuser will be identifiable, so they could inadvertently be raining hell down on themselves.

It's a mess and more and more it starts to sound as if TX never had any intention of it being able to do anything except harass providers and make them stop abortions in a very under handed way.

Probably not a provision for this but I would love to see some exasperated judge not only slap the crap out of TX but sanction them in some way as well for such bizarre legislation.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:45 PM

45,538 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Capiche?
Would you rather that just the person doing the abortion be sued?

I am interested to see how it all works out.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 PM

8,106 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Would you rather that just the person doing the abortion be sued?

I am interested to see how it all works out.
Yes, hopefully it works out, I'll do my part:

https://www.kxan.com/state-of-texas/...tion-of-texas/

BTW, that was before the disaster of a speech (or whatever that was)

Old 09-08-2021, 11:14 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Mexico just opened up it's country to legalized abortions reversing years long policy. Now they'll be getting the ladies crossing the border to get their abortions done.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/w...-abortion.html
MEXICO CITY — Criminalizing abortion is unconstitutional, Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, setting a precedent that could lead to legalization of the procedure across this conservative Catholic country of about 130 million people.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:35 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,184,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Anybody can buy Plan B at WalMart for $11.74. The days of traipsing across the border are long gone.
Plan b is not the same thing as a abortion pill.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:10 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Plan b is not the same thing as a abortion pill.
Oh my God. Please read the entire thread before commenting. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies