Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 10:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,557,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And as far as sex education? Blue states have a big problem with the inadequacy of that. The result: Blue states' have the highest abortion rates.
What are you talking about? From my anecdotal perspective having gotten abstinence-only education in the city with one of the highest teen pregnancy and STD rates, this is laughably false.

From a data perspective, you can see that there's no clear correlation between political lean and abortion rate: https://www.kff.org/womens-health-po...2:%22asc%22%7D

You can, however, see a distinct correlation between political lean and teen pregnancy rate: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...teenbirths.htm

You are deeply uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 10:54 AM

88,814 posts, read 44,659,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Blue states have the highest abortion rates because they actually allow women to terminate a pregnancy.
So do red states.
Quote:
Now let's talk about teen pregnancy rates. Know where they are the highest? That's right, predominantly in the red states. The five states with the highest rates of teen pregnancy are in Mississippi, Texas, Nevada and Arkansas and New Mexico.
Let's take a look at exactly who that is, because as we all know states don't get pregnant, girls/women do.

From the CDC...

Teenage birth rate:

American Indian/Alaska Native: 32.9 per 1,000 teenage girls
Hispanic: 28.9 per 1,000
African-American: 27.5 per 1,000
Non-Hispanic Caucasian: 13.2 per 1,000

Well, look at that. All of the groups whose teen pregnancy rate is disproportionately high overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
What are you talking about? From my anecdotal perspective having gotten abstinence-only education in the city with one of the highest teen pregnancy and STD rates, this is laughably false.

From a data perspective, you can see that there's no clear correlation between political lean and abortion rate: https://www.kff.org/womens-health-po...2:%22asc%22%7D

You can, however, see a distinct correlation between political lean and teen pregnancy rate: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...teenbirths.htm

You are deeply uninformed.
No, you are. Blue states have the highest abortion rates with #1 Washington DC (at 32.7 per 1,000) having a rate nearly twice that of #10 Delaware (16.7 per 1,000). Swing state Florida is the only outlier.

States with highest abortion rates (Guttmacher):
  1. District of Columbia (32.7)
  2. New York (29.6)
  3. New Jersey (25.8)
  4. Maryland (23.4)
  5. Florida (20.6)
  6. California (19.5)
  7. Nevada (19.4)
  8. Connecticut (19.2)
  9. Rhode Island (17)
  10. Delaware (16.7)
Now let's remind everyone HOW unintended pregnancies happen...
Quote:
"Unsurprisingly, most unintended pregnancies occur among women who are not using contraception effectively. Women who do not use birth control or who have long gaps in use account for 54 percent of these unintended pregnancies, and women who use birth control inconsistently or incorrectly account for another 41 percent. Only 5 percent of unintended pregnancies occur among women who consistently use contraception correctly (Guttmacher Institute 2016)."
https://www.urban.org/research/publi...s-persist-2016

95% are due to girls/women either not using birth control or using it incorrectly.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,923,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I would love to see less talk about surgical abortion and more talk about proactive methods of avoiding pregnancy. That’s a conversation that deserves louder volume.
I would also like to hear more conversation about men and their role in pregnancy, which is rather large. Of course the responsibility is all put on the woman, but men are half of the pregnancy equation.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:13 AM

36,287 posts, read 30,705,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
We are failing because the American Taliban (aka the GOP) refuses to allow young people access to either sex education or birth control because of their backward Bronze age thinking about sex. In places where both education and birth control are readily available the number of unintended pregnancies drop dramatically. There is no coincidence there.

You would think that would convince conservatives that that's the logical way to go, right? But they would rather keep young women in particular in the dark about all things sexual and then punish them when they mess up out of either ignorance or lack of access to bc. Or force other women to give birth to children they cannot afford or cannot care for, and then punish them for it by reducing aid and medical care for the resultant children. They punish both the woman AND the children with no remorse or guilt.

Basically, the American Taliban creates the situation and then punishes the victims it created.
Quote:
The women, themselves. They're treated condescendingly by the left as if they aren't capable of managing their own fertility (similar to how the left thinks Blacks are too incompetent to get an ID), and consequently, they don't.

The numbers don't lie. As I already posted, from the Urban Institute:

"Unsurprisingly, most unintended pregnancies occur among women who are not using contraception effectively. Women who do not use birth control or who have long gaps in use account for 54 percent of these unintended pregnancies, and women who use birth control inconsistently or incorrectly account for another 41 percent. Only 5 percent of unintended pregnancies occur among women who consistently use contraception correctly (Guttmacher Institute 2016)."
Lookie here. One blaming it on the right, one blaming it on the left.

I dont see it as a partisan problem. As far as I am aware young people have access to sex education, in school, internet, library and birth control through parmacies and health department/clinics. Now the level of education and availability of BC can very well be an issue. Overall the teen pregnancy rate has decreased.

I'm not sure how being treated condescendingly by a political party prevents one from obtaining education or birth control. Seems to me you quote would support the lefts supposed belief that women cant manage their own reproduction.

I lean right and live in a red state. In all of my reproductive years I was never influenced in my reproductive choices by either party nor denied reproductive education or birth control.

What some of these apparent numbers tell me is that perhaps those in rural areas dont have as much access, schools may not have as much funding. Inconstant use of BC may be caused by addiction or mental health issues.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:13 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,417,897 times
Quote:
That's because it makes you uncomfortable, as it should. 98.3% of abortions are performed solely for the sake of the woman's convenience, NOT because of rape, incest, risk to mother's life, risk to mother's health, or fetal health issue.

The pro-abortion contingent values convenience over human life.
The anti-abortion contingent values human life over convenience.

That's about as clear as it gets.

For those who value convenience over human life, why are you afraid to just come out and admit it? Be honest with yourself and everyone else.
I am not in the least uncomfortable about my position.

I already told you that even if a woman has an abortion for reasons of convenience she's allowed to under existing law. I am perfectly ok with that. Pay attention.

That being said, having an abortion for reasons that relate to life altering situations is not a matter of convenience to me. Having a child is a life altering choice no matter whether you want the child or not.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM

18,349 posts, read 18,977,902 times
Quote:
Exactly, and we all deal with the consequences of our own imperfections. Happens every day. This is no different, except for the pro-abortion contingent favoring convenience over human life.
The “pro abortion crowd” favors the will of a fully realized person to lead her own life on her own terms. She can make her own choice.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,490,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I would also like to hear more conversation about men and their role in pregnancy, which is rather large. Of course the responsibility is all put on the woman, but men are half of the pregnancy equation.
The responsibility falls on women because we are the ones with the reproductive magic. I’m done arguing with anybody over responsibility; it’s a woman’s responsibility to manage her own reproduction. I advocate for personal responsibility and that means using birth control and using abortion only as a last resort.

The alternative to managing our reproduction is unplanned pregnancy. It’s that simple. Do something about it beforehand, ladies. Find what works for you and then be meticulous about it. If an accident occurs ACT QUICKLY and either use Plan B, the abortion pill, or a quick surgical abortion.

There seems to be two types of women: those who get it, and those who don’t.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:33 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,417,897 times
Quote:
A significant percentage of them use bc incorrectly. That's a choice they've already made.
https://www.urban.org/research/publi...s-persist-2016
Sure, every time someone makes a mistake lets penalize them for life.

Forget to maintain the air pressure in your tires causing someone else to narrowly escape an accident......drivers license revoked for life.

Have to call the fire dept because you inadvertently have a cooking accident, incorrectly burn trash or grill......stove removed from every property you live in subsequently, you must sell your house and live in an apt forever and you are banned from owning a grill.

Child tumbles out of your arms because you are herding the 10 children the state forced you to have.........all your children become wards of the state until they are 18.

Your position is ridiculous.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I am not in the least uncomfortable about my position.

I already told you that even if a woman has an abortion for reasons of convenience she's allowed to under existing law. I am perfectly ok with that. Pay attention.

That being said, having an abortion for reasons that relate to life altering situations is not a matter of convenience to me. Having a child is a life altering choice no matter whether you want the child or not.
Good to know you're comfortable with valuing convenience over human life. Others like you explain what's going wrong and why there are high shooting/murder rates in Chicago, Baltimore, etc. They, like you, value convenience over human life.

For everyone who wonders why we can't get inner-city thugs to stop killing each other, it's the mindset they have. They value convenience over human life. Human life means very little to them. Snuffing it out is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies