Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:31 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
All of the numbers say we're clearly at and even beyond herd immunity.
I haven't heard that yet and where I live only about 40% of the people have been vaccinated but there are still new cases here everyday.
I'm just being cautious since I have an elderly relative that lives with me in addition to my personal health issues.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Honest to God I’m not trolling why is it that mostly those on the left want to keep wearing the mask.. Any psychologists out there that can explain this insanity. they just don’t want to let it go...I don’t get it...
Have You Noticed That Many Liberals Have Become Addicted To The Mask And Don’t Want To Return Back To Normal?

My answer to that is "NO!" I'm sick and tired of masks. Everyone I know feels the same way. If I am shopping at a store that has a notice still saying that masks are required, I put on a mask. I'm not delighted about it, but it seems like we're starting to see the on-coming train lights at the end of the tunnel. I've made it this far, why get in a fight with a store clerk now?

Also, if I know I will be around someone who is elderly or immune compromised, I will wear a mask. If you want to be the one who infects Great Granny who then dies a lingering, painful death, be my guest. The guilt and the nightmares are all yours.

I am very, very pleased that the mask guidelines are loosening up, and I can't wait until they go away completely - with one exception. I lost the crown on one of my front teeth a couple of days back. I look like some retro Halloween pumpkin, and my dentist can't fit me in until Friday. For once, I actually like wearing a mask in public - or at least until Friday I do.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:44 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
When the "panic-demic" first emerged, it was an unknown factor; since that time, it has been established that COVID-19 has a high survivability rate, does not seem to affect the young, and the promotors of panic seem to be particularly unwilling to investigate and determine how much unhealthy lifestyles -- smoking and overeating, for example -- have to do with individual cases.

This creates a vacuum which, of course, those who think Big Brother should run our lives are eager to fill.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-20-2021 at 06:04 AM..

Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Some Leftists are using the masks as a statement to show which side they're on and that they are in no way a conservative. Meaning they enjoy Big Government controlling their lives and thinking for them.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:52 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
They are wearing them to protect you. Some “””addiction”””.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:54 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I haven't heard that yet and where I live only about 40% of the people have been vaccinated but there are still new cases here everyday.
I'm just being cautious since I have an elderly relative that lives with me in addition to my personal health issues.
Stop equating vaccination percentage with herd immunity percentage. It's quite likely this country was there LONG before any vaccine had any chance to have an effect.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:56 AM

424 posts, read 175,768 times
I live in a red area and most of the old people (whom I assume are conservative) are still wearing masks. So... no, OP, I haven't noticed that.

I'm liberal and I'm keeping my mask in my car to use depending on where I go. The small family-owned pet store where I was the only car in the parking lot and the owner wasn't masked? I didn't bother wearing it. The grocery store at 8:30 pm when it was not busy? Didn't wear it. The same grocery store at 10 am when it's crawling with people (mostly old people)? Yes, I'll wear it. I'm not sure why you care.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:59 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not a liberal thing; I know conservatives and liberals alike who have been scarred for life and will probably never give up the mask thanks to the the carpet bombing of fear carried out by politicians, bureaucrats and their media. Think of it as a form of PTSD
Ok I guess that is me.

Personally I kind of like the mask. I did use to think we lived in a world with too many disgusting germs. I had to live with it before but I don't now.

But I don't feel there is a need for masks:

- outside,
- at the grocery store
- at the drive thru
- at work

All of these places even before covid, I would not get colds / flus from just walking around.

However, I used to get sick all the time from

- cold dry weather that would dry out my nose and mouth.
- being packed in on the subway like sardines.
- being packed in on the train like sardines.
- being stuck in an enclosed space with little kids...

All of these were potential germ fests and I probably want to wear a mask going forward.

But I don't understand why Vitamin D is not proposed as a solution. I used to get 3 colds a winter when I was vitamin D deficient. Since 2009 I have gotten about 2 serious illnesses in 10 years. Vitamin D is a first line defense.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Honest to God I’m not trolling why is it that mostly those on the left want to keep wearing the mask.. Any psychologists out there that can explain this insanity. they just don’t want to let it go...I don’t get it...
Im not a leftist and I will still wear a mask. Plenty of long-term science studies have shown they work. From a logical standpoint they work - they keep sick people who refuse to stay home when sick from spewing their crap all over everyone else and provide the non-sick a small amount of protection as well. I will continue to wear one when indoors and only outdoors if shoulder to shoulder with other people. If it keeps me from getting covid, a cold or the flu it will be well worth it.

This is not a right vs left issue.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:06 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yes, the totally insane area I grew up in is run by power-mad Liberals:

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...-masks-indoors

Vaccinated or not, King County is bracing for masks to be required in indoor public spaces for everyone—despite the CDC’s new greenlight for fully vaccinated people to ditch them in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies