Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 06:56 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So because you personally hardly know anyone who got COVID, then it must not be a problem. Wonder what the nearly 600,000 people who died from COVID would think.

Masks do work. For your reading pleasure:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...fectively.html.
there are also studies that say they do not work. how do you know if the people in real life are wearing the masks properly? in a study they instruct them to wear them a certain way in certain conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 06:21 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...39b_story.html

Quote:
Explaining HIPAA: No, it doesn’t ban questions about your vaccination status

Who can legally ask me about my vaccination status?

Under federal laws, there are very few, if any, situations in which businesses, airlines, employers, schools and even those covered by HIPAA are prohibited from asking you to share your vaccination status or show your vaccine record card, experts said.

“Whether those two things are effective in keeping unvaccinated people out of your store is a different issue,” Spector-Bagdady said. “But it’s not a HIPAA problem.”

It would, however, be a violation of HIPAA if your health-care provider shared your vaccination status without your consent to someone who asked. “I can’t call your doctor and say, ‘Hey, this is Kim from Target, and I want you to tell me whether this customer standing in front of me is vaccinated,’”

Employers are also legally allowed to ask about or require proof of vaccination from employees

According to the EEOC, employers would not be violating the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act as long as they were careful about what vaccination-related questions they asked. A possible violation might be if an employer’s attempt to find out why a worker didn’t get vaccinated could elicit information about a disability.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:26 PM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya it seems people have argued both ways on this forum. Maybe it's a grey area where even lawyers don't know 100 percent. You would think that if health care providers can't release your info that a private buisness would not be allowed to know or ask because that would defeat the purpose for medical records privacy.
Thing is, this shot has already proven to not be 100 percent effective.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:28 PM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They can ask but we don’t have to answer. What I’m seeing is stores not putting their employees or customers in a position where they ask this question. It’s not really a HIPAA issue but is an issue that many stores don’t want to wade into. Thank god.
Or you could always just lie and say you did get it. Then what??????

Old 06-01-2021, 06:47 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Let’s make it clear, HIPAA only covers healthcare providers/entities and their business associates. This includes healthcare billing companies and insurance companies. The privacy rule mandates these entities protect the privacy of their patients protected health information (PHI). There are exceptions to the rule, but in general they are mandated to protect it.

So in the OPs scenario with the grocery store manager, no HIPAA does not apply.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:05 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
One grocery store manager even said "no we can not ask if you are vaccinated because it violates hipaa laws. I assume a store manager would need to be informed about the actual law because no business wants a lawsuit on their hands.
OMG, an unnamed store manager, there's an authority for you.

Anyway, he's wrong. HIPAA only applies narrowly and the "covered entities" are, more less, "health plans, clearinghouses, and certain health care providers". Not the local Piggly Wiggly.

https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-...aCoveredEntity

Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They can ask but we don’t have to answer.
True. And then they can ask you to take your business elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
You would think that if health care providers can't release your info that a private buisness would not be allowed to know or ask because that would defeat the purpose for medical records privacy.
Perhaps you would think that. You would be wrong, though

Old 06-01-2021, 10:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
If you are wondering if you can be asked if you had a vaccine if you are a customer you can not. I called 15 businesses today and asked them about their mask policy after may 29th in the state of Massachusetts and they said they would let customers decide whether they wear a mask or not. They said if you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask but if you are not you should wear a mask. I then asked all of them if they would be asking for proof if we are vaccinated and they all said no. One grocery store manager even said "no we can not ask if you are vaccinated because it violates hipaa laws. I assume a store manager would need to be informed about the actual law because no business wants a lawsuit on their hands.

It might be different in other states I don't know how Oregon is going to be allowed to ask for proof , maybe because they changed legislation but I assume in most states a buisness is opening themselves up for law suits if they try to ask for vaccination status or discriminates because of status.

have any of the users on this forum called local businesses in their state to find out their policy?
My personal life is none of their business.
The 4th Amendment does not only apply to government. People had rights before government was created here.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My personal life is none of their business.
The 4th Amendment does not only apply to government. People had rights before government was created here.
You have no right to enter the supermarket unless you do so on the supermarket owner's terms. Private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies