Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I found some links to prove that the way interstates were built, it was a backdoor way of tearing down many Black neighborhoods. There is also some geospatial data used in this, courtesy of ArcGIS.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...e6fad5d38.html

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastruct...nterstate2.cfm

https://www.planning.org/planning/20...nfrastructure/

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSerie...928a5f3408373f
Are you suggesting the US federal government went out of its way, at increased cost and erratically routed roadways, just to plow an interstate higway thru neighborhoods, for no other reason than to purposely disrupt black neighborhoods? Sounds costly, wasteful and petty, and sounds like a wild-eyed conspiracy.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:53 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Are you suggesting the US federal government went out of its way, at increased cost and erratically routed roadways, just to plow an interstate higway thru neighborhoods, for no other reason than to purposely disrupt black neighborhoods? Sounds costly, wasteful and petty, and sounds like a wild-eyed conspiracy.
No. I'm suggesting that many city planners in alot of major cities used the federal government's interstate program as an excuse to tear down alot of areas deemed "undesirable". Interstates were built to connect military bases, and then used to so that people could commute from the suburbs to the city. Many Black neighborhoods were classified as "slums" or "undesirable" and were easy targets for "urban removal" or "slum clearance". Go read the links I posted.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Racism certainly played a role in it. Not the only role, but to discount it would be dishonest. It wasn't just slums being torn down. Some neighborhoods that were poor, but functional were torn down too.
The point is, this has also happened in white and Asian neighborhoods. As I stated upthread, a freeway was built through my (mostly white) neighborhood 15 years ago. They have to be built someplace! If the choice is to tear down old, worn-out housing or new housing it is logical which to choose.

Black people seem to assume anything controversial that affect them is always racism.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The point is, this has also happened in white and Asian neighborhoods. As I stated upthread, a freeway was built through my (mostly white) neighborhood 15 years ago. They have to be built someplace! Black people seem to assume anything controversial that affect them is always racism.
Consider that this was the 1950s. Yes, there were certainly some White neighborhoods torn down. However, consider that Blacks were 10% of the U.S. population at large during that time. And then consider that Blacks were not the majority in any major city during that time (and less than 10% in some major cities). When Black neighborhoods make up the minority of neighborhoods in America, but the majority of neighborhoods being sliced in half or decimated from the building of interstates (regardless of whether said neighborhoods were slums or not), what does that say?

Old 05-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Racism certainly played a role in it. Not the only role, but to discount it would be dishonest. It wasn't just slums being torn down. Some neighborhoods that were poor, but functional were torn down too.
Interesting how your opinions become "facts" when you post them...

Old 05-26-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Consider that this was the 1950s. Yes, there were certainly some White neighborhoods torn down. However, consider that Blacks were 10% of the U.S. population at large during that time. And then consider that Blacks were not the majority in any major city during that time (and less than 10% in some major cities). When Black neighborhoods make up the minority of neighborhoods in America, but the majority of neighborhoods being sliced in half or decimated from the building of interstates (regardless of whether said neighborhoods were slums or not), what does that say?
That old, marginal housing was less expensive to acquire than new, modern housing when a public works project was implemented?

It had the added benefit of creating urban renewal.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But that wasn't racism? It was only racist when it happened to black neighborhoods?

Or maybe none of it was racism?

Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That old, marginal housing was less expensive to acquire than new, modern housing when a public works project was implemented?

It had the added benefit of creating urban renewal.
In many cases, it became urban removal. Many people who got kicked out weren't always compensated with better housing. I found this out when I had to write a term paper about the Milwaukee riot of 1967.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting……America is the land of opportunity…..some people need a kick in the ARSE

Nearly 80% of white Republicans say America has done enough to help Black people

A new Axios-Ipsos poll has revealed that White Republicans believe enough has been done for Black Americans in the fight against racism. The results come in just one year after the death of George Floyd, reported by Mediaite.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-80...214200545.html
At some point you going to have to want to help yourself.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
But that wasn't racism? It was only racist when it happened to black neighborhoods?

Or maybe none of it was racism?
Thanks for cherry picking one part of my post. Look, I already know you don't think very highly of Black people. But I do research on things like this. I never said racism was the only reason. I said it was a factor, not the only one. I also brought up that some neighborhoods got torn down even if they were functional places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies