Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:55 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,339 times

Advertisements

You ever seen Boston or Chicago on St. Patrick's day?

Plenty of illegal immigrants come from Ireland and the UK and are visa overstays. Weirdly, they don't face the same amount of opposition. You're free to speculate on why that might be.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 AM

2,082 posts, read 923,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
I swear I had heard before that Mexico only sends us rapist and murderers. These kids are actually coming here and getting a college education? That is awesome. Thank you for sharing this wonderful news.
Thank the American taxpayer

Old 05-26-2021, 11:03 AM

2,082 posts, read 923,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
You ever seen Boston or Chicago on St. Patrick's day?

Plenty of illegal immigrants come from Ireland and the UK and are visa overstays. Weirdly, they don't face the same amount of opposition. You're free to speculate on why that might be.
They come he legally for the most part, not like the present invasion

Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
I swear I had heard before that Mexico only sends us rapist and murderers. These kids are actually coming here and getting a college education? That is awesome. Thank you for sharing this wonderful news.
"I heard" is usually an iron clad fact. Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It was an obnoxious thing to do, I agree. However, my dad’s running buddy still proudly displayed a flag from Ireland. The state of Mississippi until recently displayed the Confederate on their state flag. He is not different from others, maintaining a pride in his heritage. The issue, like with so many other things, is the decision to flaunt it in the time and place he did.
I'm a (legal) immigrant from Canada, and my parents are legal immigrants from the UK. I believe in immigration, and I'm proud of my Canadian and Scottish heritages while also proud to be an American citizen. I'm left-leaning.

The difference, though, between people like your dad's running buddy and this guy is that the former was probably a legal immigrant. The latter isn't. One followed the correct, lawful way to immigrate; the other chose not to.

And, for whatever reason, too many people in the US celebrate people who flout the laws of another country because they feel they have a RIGHT to be there. As someone who came to this country legally, I get so sick of it.

Plus, I think it's inappropriate and tacky to wave a flag at a graduation ceremony, regardless of how proud you are of your heritage. Your heritage is, and should be, irrelevant at a graduation ceremony.

It wouldn't have entered my head to carry around a Canadian flag when I graduated with my master's degree from a US institution.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It was an obnoxious thing to do, I agree. However, my dad’s running buddy still proudly displayed a flag from Ireland. The state of Mississippi until recently displayed the Confederate on their state flag. He is not different from others, maintaining a pride in his heritage. The issue, like with so many other things, is the decision to flaunt it in the time and place he did.
You make a great point.

My hunch is that the people with the "outrage" here don't quite get as worked up about the Confederate Flag still being displayed.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:10 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm a (legal) immigrant from Canada, and my parents are legal immigrants from the UK. I believe in immigration, and I'm proud of my Canadian and Scottish heritages while also proud to be an American citizen. I'm left-leaning.

The difference, though, between people like your dad's running buddy and this guy is that the former was probably a legal immigrant. The latter isn't. One followed the correct, lawful way to immigrate; the other chose not to.

And, for whatever reason, too many people in the US celebrate people who flout the laws of another country because they feel they have a RIGHT to be there. As someone who came to this country legally, I get so sick of it.

Plus, I think it's inappropriate and tacky to wave a flag at a graduation ceremony, regardless of how proud you are of your heritage. Your heritage is, and should be, irrelevant at a graduation ceremony.

It wouldn't have entered my head to carry around a Canadian flag when I graduated with my master's degree from a US institution.
100% totally agree

Old 05-26-2021, 11:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 635,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
there is another option.

we can always take away his DACA and deport him. He gets to live in his motherland that he loves so much. We are getting rid of an illegal alien. It's win-win for everyone
And toss his kids over the border if/when he has them. His actions are disgusting.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:25 AM

962 posts, read 540,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

See, that's you, and the great thing about this country, is if you want to waive a Canadian flag at your graduation or bar mitzvah or funeral, go ahead. Or don't. It's none of my business.

As you surely know, becoming a citizen of this country can be incredibly difficult. Nobody celebrates that illegal immigrants are here. The reality is, they are here, they've been here for decades, many had kids here, who are now American, or brought kids here, who know no home other than America. We can say "illegal immigration is wrong" while also saying "it is wrong to break up families, even if their parents broke the law".

Look, we give preferential treatment to all sorts of groups through our immigration policy, and it's good to discuss those policies. But the vast majority of Americans are American by virtue of their ancestors just freaking showing up at the shore without any sort of paperwork. So I have a hard time being too punitive on people who simply want what we all have.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:31 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Seems like a kid proud of his heritage...

Only Southerners are not allowed to do this... everyone else is OK!

Seriously, I have no issues with this kid waving the Mexican flag... ZERO! BE LOUD AND BE PROUD!!!

He graduated from San Diego State.... although not a guarantee, its but a pretty strong argument that he doesn't have his head up his azz..... Odds are he goes on and leads an exemplary life while still holding his Mexican heritage in high esteem!

Good for him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies