Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
There is no logic in what you wrote. It's shocking you can even button your shirt or tie your shows.

Let's use their logic, with your example.

If NYC had seatbelt laws, and Kansas did not, and we saw no difference in deaths in autoaccidents between Kansas and NYC when adjusting for car accidents, we'd conclude seat belt laws don't work.

FYI, seatbelt laws are unenforceable. I never wear mine. Never got a ticket for it either. Most people who wear seatbelts do it out of perceived self interest.

Going back to their study, they showed that mask mandates did not impact the growth of infections in medium-high transmission environments, but had some impact in low transmission environments.
He (she ?) has to be a sock puppet, Media Matters plant. Or a house plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 04:17 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
What the study said was:

"Randomized control trials have not clearly demonstrated mask efficacy against respiratory viruses, but observational studies suggest greater mask compliance may be associated with lower infection rates. We hypothesized that statewide mask mandates and mask use are associated with lower COVID-19 case growth rates in the United States." It goes on to explain how they function in high and low transmission areas, but what it doesn't do is throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The School of Medicine, University of Louisville is not removing its mask mandate even now.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....18.21257385v1

Note: the article has not been peer reviewed.

Thus, its not as simplistic as the Townhall article makes it seem.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:22 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
What the study said was:

"Randomized control trials have not clearly demonstrated mask efficacy against respiratory viruses, but observational studies suggest greater mask compliance may be associated with lower infection rates. We hypothesized that statewide mask mandates and mask use are associated with lower COVID-19 case growth rates in the United States." It goes on to explain how they function in high and low transmission areas, but what it doesn't do is throw the baby out with the bathwater.
They outlined their hypothesis, and their study contradicted their hypothesis.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:37 AM

17,622 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
What the study said was:

The School of Medicine, University of Louisville is not removing its mask mandate even now.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....18.21257385v1

Note: the article has not been peer reviewed.

Thus, its not as simplistic as the Townhall article makes it seem.
Some people will cling to propaganda and lies no matter what. You and serger should get together on ZOOM.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When you're OCD and everyone else around you doesn't behave exactly how you want them to...
Reaching, Frank. Reaching.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:24 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
I am vaccinated. I will still wear an N95 if I am in a very closed crowded place.. the virus is still out there and invisible.

I go maskless if I go into a place that is not crowded and there for a few minutes.. getting my freedom back..baby steps . I look every day at the cases in Florida.

Problem is Biden is bringing in hundreds of thousands of illegals and many are sneaking in so it is hard to actually say how many more cases will be passed from the illegals into certain areas. We have planes flying in and we are not clear yet. Many come to visit in my area and who knows where they are coming from.

I do feel much safer after the vaccine.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Wow, lots of bunk here. Did you read the report - thoroughly? It does not say masks don't work. It says mask MANDATES don't work. HUGE difference.

Here's why: In the Middle Ground of REALITY - COVID spread was almost never like a wildfire. A typical day (pre-vaccine) showed that just 1% or fewer of regular citizens were contagious at nearly any time (simultaneously) - and also that many of them had symptoms and stayed home.

Ya know who didn't? People who had symptoms - didn't care - and didn't care about masks or mandates either. Nearly ALL of the spread - I mean, just about all - can be traced to people who did NOTHING to prevent spreading it. (I'm excluding health care workers here, and some other cases where it's out of their hands.)

In a room with 1000 people...maybe 10 were contagious. Of that 10, 7 or 8 or 9 are wearing masks. One guy hates masks, and gave COVID to 10 people.

This data will not appear in that study. It has the advantage, though, of rhyming well with all the other math and data. There is no way - none at all - that you can prove masks do nothing, because they clearly block my hot breath from traveling, and whatever the small effect - it ain't zero.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:25 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wonder if doctors and nurses who wear N95 masks in covid wards said "amen" to that?

If it's so political, name one country where mask wear was not required or even encouraged.
N95 masks are a lot different from cloth and surgical masks that the vast majority of people were wearing.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
According to the CDC, infections went up where they had masks and down where they didn't.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e3.htm

That biased townhall link admits a lot of the states don't have mask mandates. They've found that the second wave of infections came from the South which was more lax. That also spread infections to the other states who had restrictions.

Some people resisted guidance like children and will look for ways to justify their behavior. They're more interested putting blame on other people than taking personal responsibility.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
No matter.

Some people like them and will keep wearing them.

Just like a child finds comfort from a teddy bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies