Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 01:01 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Millions of people have never balanced their checking account. Many don’t bother recording checks they have written and go by “ available balance” and bounce checks. Debit cards are a better alternative for those lacking basic discipline.
if you're really "middle-aged", then I'm sure you know the old joke (actually I've heard it said with all seriousness)

"How can I be out of money when I still have all these checks?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 01:06 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
This thread has had me reminiscing about some of the crazy stuff I saw at the bank.

Like a guy with a checking account with an average balance of less than $100 walking in one day and depositing a large check - $5000 IIRC - and badgering the teller to please post it to his account immediately. She told him she could only post $100 of it that day due to bank policy. Guy gets mad and leaves.

Literally five minutes later a woman walks in with a check drawn off this man's account for - you guessed it - $100. A flag was placed on his account and sure as heck, the check he deposited came back NSF, written off a closed account.

Tellers see this crap every single day.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It's not just checks. More and more services are requiring autopay or direct pay with a debit / credit card. People have more stuff coming out of their accounts directly via a automated system then ever before.

If you get low in your account and have 3-4 auto pay items hit at the same time (which is always convent that the bank clears these at the same time in your account) then you can easily have 4-5 overdraft fees immediately. Many banks will allow 8 or 9 in a row if you have direct deposit of funds from a Job or SS because it is guaranteed the bank will gt their fees. You don't get a call or get contacted as this is called a "Service".

I also find it suspicious that banks will hold certain transactions with Debit cards like a McDonalds purchase for days then put it through when an account is low from other transactions, its seems like a way to generate more fees. MY nephew showed me his bank statement online and you could see purchases made from all different days posting all together when his accounts gets low as if the bank is hoping you screw up and can get more fees.

For those of us with balances of well above risk of overdraft we don't notice it.
no Bank is holding transactions trying to figure just the right moment to get you on your McD's purchase 4 days ago.

Just as stated early, it would be a worthwhile discussion to consider disclosure of check-posting rules. That is - when 5 transactions come in, in what order are they paid? Ex:

You have 5 checks presenting today. Your balance happens to be $500.

Check 1: $450
Checks 2 - 5: $50 each
Total being presented: $650

Your Bank always pays biggest first. So the $450 sails through as does check #2. But then 3-5 bounce, and you get socked with 3 fees.

Now, should the Bank be required to disclose their method? Maybe. Should the Banks have some weird law passed "all Banks must process the maximum # of checks possible in order to reduce the # that fall into overdraft"? I'd say not, but I could see Warren being all for that.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This thread has had me reminiscing about some of the crazy stuff I saw at the bank.

Like a guy with a checking account with an average balance of less than $100 walking in one day and depositing a large check - $5000 IIRC - and badgering the teller to please post it to his account immediately. She told him she could only post $100 of it that day due to bank policy. Guy gets mad and leaves.

Literally five minutes later a woman walks in with a check drawn off this man's account for - you guessed it - $100. A flag was placed on his account and sure as heck, the check he deposited came back NSF, written off a closed account.

Tellers see this crap every single day.
check-kiting is WAY over the heads of most people.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:14 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Had a guy accuse our branch of stealing his cash ATM deposit. We told him nobody is allowed to enter an ATM machine alone. So he says 'Well I bet BOTH employees were in on it". We told him that ATM entry is triple custody, meaning no less than three employees at a time enter the internal side of the machine.

He settled down after that. The old "deposit an empty envelope" scheme is soooo tired. lol.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I can add to this as I worked at a bank while in College too. They'd bounce a check and come ripping into the bank demanding to know where their money went. I'd print out a couple months of transactions and basically read it to them. Most of the time they simply forgot to deposit a check they left lying around the apartment.

Many of these fools would still be arguing even after detailing all their transactions. I felt bad for the security guards that had to convince them to leave. One guy was so livid he said cancel my account I'm going elsewhere. I asked him if he wanted it all in ones because it's nine bucks. A couple of people eavesdropping started to laugh. The guy left fuming holding his nine bucks.
I suppose thankfully, he didn't still have any outstanding checks

Old 05-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yep, don't see anyone arguing that there shouldn't be a fee. I think upwards of $35 is excessive.
OK.

So, as noted, almost every Bank will waive a single fee for long-time customers. That covers your "mistake".

I assume every Bank has some type of overdraft protection, and for many accounts it is not a fee. That could cover most otherwise-responsible people who make mistakes.

Or, the Banks could just charge everybody what - $10? Is that reasonable? $20?

Is it reasonable for them to put a cap on it? Maybe 10 overdrafts in a year? Because on #11, they're shutting your account and putting a note on your credit file, and few other Banks would be interested in taking over your problem.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
When I had a business I did pretty well with most paying by credit card, but I did once have a customer give me a check that bounced, NSF for about $600. I had no luck contacting him, but knowing how the bank works, I called every day to verify the check, and for 3 days was told it was not good. Then the 4th day they said it was good, he must have made a deposit so I took it to that bank and cashed it immediately, then deposited the cash into my bank.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I had a business I did pretty well with most paying by credit card, but I did once have a customer give me a check that bounced, NSF for about $600. I had no luck contacting him, but knowing how the bank works, I called every day to verify the check, and for 3 days was told it was not good. Then the 4th day they said it was good, he must have made a deposit so I took it to that bank and cashed it immediately, then deposited the cash into my bank.
truly, we might better consider doing away with checks altogether. From ancient times of 2016...

https://www.npr.org/2016/03/03/46889...ite-off-checks

By 2012, checks had dropped 67% in just 9 years to only 15% of transactions. Lord knows how much more it's dropped in the ensuing 5 years.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
So Elizabeth Warren was leading an apparently bi-partisan attack on banks that charged overdraft fees on checking accounts. This leaves me confused. Writing a check for more money than you have is a federal crime. Banks provide overdraft protection from people who have spent more money than they've put in. Why would they not be entitled to charge a fee for that?
Sometimes the direct deposit sitting there too and they take the checks before the deposit. If you are pro banks - good for you- I worked in the financial arena over 12 years. They play dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies