Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 02:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,327,161 times

Advertisements

No party has ever been the party of 'question authority'. That is like a chocolate factory being the factory of healthy eating.

Both the the Dems and the Republicans' leadership has their loyal voters convinced they are fighting the good fight against authoritarianism by attacking the purported threats to our freedoms, while simultaneously maintaining a firm grip on the powers and institutions that line the pockets of the political elite and their donors.

It is all good and fine to support one party or the other with a vote, but you are deluded if you think they consider you to be 'one of them' and that they are acting in your best interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 02:05 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,922,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Seriously?

Think harder. I'm not even going to entertain that nonsense.
Wow, you sound like a really open-minded individual who is willing to engage in a discussion! (sarcasm)

Old 05-27-2021, 02:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,764,330 times
There's a serious authoritarian streak on the Left- but it's a different sort of authoritarianism than the Republican boot-lickers.

Pick your poison

Old 05-27-2021, 02:11 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,552,344 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Think harder. I'm not even going to entertain that nonsense.

Clearly.
Perhaps you should make your posts less cryptic? I've given two of the biggest authorities that are being questioned, particularly by those on the left only to be met with a swipe of the hand.

What authority should we be questioning on the left that we are not? If you don't think police are an authority, I don't know what you would consider as being one. They're tools of the state, always have been.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:17 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,929,113 times
Quote:
No, that's not what they're doing. They're destroying the institutions of police and organized religion. Don't confuse the actions of today's Left with the left of yesterday. They're not the same, and I would seriously expect that anyone who's politically engaged and older than 30 would know that intuitively.
Please explain to me how the left is "destroying" organized religion. I think right wing Christians believe that freedom of religion means that members of other religions should not only be prevented from worshipping in the religion of their own belief, but members of other religions (like Muslims) should be prevented from entering the US at all.

This past summer Evangelical bikers for Trump threatened the members of my own Christian congregation (Episcopalian) for holding a peaceful meditative walk for justice for all people on Saturday afternoons. We blocked no traffic and people were free to use the sidewalk on the other side of the street. We screamed no hate slogans nor did we carry threatening signs.

Never-the-less, these good "Christians" for Trump did everything they could to intimidate us, including an aggressive display of their second amendment rights and shouting obscenities at us. The local police took to accompanying us for our own protection.

It appears to me that it is the right who are attempting to destroy any organized religion that is not made up of Evangelical Christians. Prove this Christian woman over 30 wrong, sir.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:33 PM

17,764 posts, read 13,651,934 times
Quote:
That used to be somewhat of a life philosophy of people on the left.

What happened?
I remember "Question Authority" bumper stickers from like 1979. I also remember "Visualize World Peace" ones from that area.

And of course my favorite..."Visualize Whirled Peas".

Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 907,742 times
The implied meaning of the phrase "question authority" is to question ALL authority ALL the time. Otherwise it has no meaning. And it is only to QUESTION, not necessarily oppose.

The idea is that any authority has the potential to be corrupt, so people should be aware, and scrutinize all those in power.

Vigilance has implied constancy. If someone admonishes me for not wearing a seatbelt, it doesn't help my case to say "oh but I wore the seatbelt yesterday".

Old 05-27-2021, 02:43 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,922,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Based on the original definitions of the left and right, Trump supporters are actually the left -

https://www.history.com/news/how-did...wing-originate
Thanks for the interesting article. I have also pointed out the definitions here before:

Liberal - open to new ideas and ways of doing things
Conservative - upholding traditional values and ways of doing things

So for most of the past 50 years or so, the Democrats have been the more liberal party:

Tradition - gays stay in the closet
New - gays can come out publicly and even marry

Tradition - blacks stay in their place
New - blacks demand equal treatment

Tradition - Christianity is dominant, and endorsed by government
New - other religions get equal standing, and atheism is ascendant

Tradition - US military is to be respected, and wars not questioned
New - anti-war protests are common

Now I suppose that, to the extent that some of the "new" ways have now become the norm, you could argue that the Republicans are the liberal party. For example, globalism has been US policy for decades; to oppose globalism now might be considered a liberal position.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:30 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,929,113 times
Gee, OP has not been back to answer my question. It's a pretty simple one. "What does he mean when he states that the left is trying to dismantle organized religion? " I posted about what the Trumper Evangelicals have been doing to the people at my own Christian Church, yet not a whimper of a reply from OP. Perhaps he should change his user name from "swagger" to "he who runs and hides when asked hard questions."

So very typical of today's conservatives.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:50 PM

18,712 posts, read 7,590,420 times
Quote:
Question Authority

That used to be somewhat of a life philosophy of people on the left.

What happened?
They became the authority.

And decided they would not tolerate anyone questioning them. That was just for ideas they didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies