Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 02:55 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,385,550 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against dog breeds, but there are some breeds that require very diligent owners and those breeds are too often extra attractive to the worst, laziest owner. A cop should know that a Rottweiler is not safe to leave alone with a child. I had a very close call with a pitbull while out on a walk. I knew how to respond as it was charging me and was left with only a hole in my leggings and a large bruise. Had I been a young kid? That could have been devastating. The male owner just stared with a drugged out look on his face and the female owner grabbed the dog and swore he was gentle. I reported them. It wasn’t my neighborhood, but the neighborhood was full of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 07:43 AM

36,217 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I have nothing against dog breeds, but there are some breeds that require very diligent owners and those breeds are too often extra attractive to the worst, laziest owner. A cop should know that a Rottweiler is not safe to leave alone with a child. I had a very close call with a pitbull while out on a walk. I knew how to respond as it was charging me and was left with only a hole in my leggings and a large bruise. Had I been a young kid? That could have been devastating. The male owner just stared with a drugged out look on his face and the female owner grabbed the dog and swore he was gentle. I reported them. It wasn’t my neighborhood, but the neighborhood was full of kids.
No dog should be left alone with small children.
I've had dogs all my adult life, most of the time multiple dogs including Rottweilers, Staffordshire Terroirs, Chows, Spitz, German Shepherds, Boarder Collies, Hounds and various mixed breeds. I never had a problem and I never left my kids, grands, or any kid alone with my dogs.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No dog should be left alone with small children.
I've had dogs all my adult life, most of the time multiple dogs including Rottweilers, Staffordshire Terroirs, Chows, Spitz, German Shepherds, Boarder Collies, Hounds and various mixed breeds. I never had a problem and I never left my kids, grands, or any kid alone with my dogs.
Definitely true, but still true that some breeds require far more diligence in training than others. I had pugs when my kids were young and I still never left them alone with them because even a dog that docile can bite. But some breeds are more prone to bite and/or more able to do serious damage and those dogs require more from their owners. A pug physically can't do the damage a Rottweiler can.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:47 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,221,833 times
Dogs and kids don’t mix. Poor baby.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 AM

36,217 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Definitely true, but still true that some breeds require far more diligence in training than others. I had pugs when my kids were young and I still never left them alone with them because even a dog that docile can bite. But some breeds are more prone to bite and/or more able to do serious damage and those dogs require more from their owners. A pug physically can't do the damage a Rottweiler can.
Yes I totally agree.
Of the breeds I have had I don't feel Rottweilers were the ones that needed the most diligence. The worst thing was their size and accidentally knocking the kids down. I had that breed for 18 years. The pitts definitely. One of mine was somewhat dog aggressive. Having multiple dogs, Pitts can be a lot to handle. That is why, while I do like the breed, I will not have another. I'm getting too old for that. I have 2 GSDs and 2 hounds now. The GSD need a constant firm hand. The chow was the one I watched most closely but I got her as an adult.
My sis has a miniature schnauzer that showed up at her house a few years ago. He is a little turd and grows, snaps and bites kids, adults and other dogs. I still like him though.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:22 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,309,780 times
Boy, 7, mauled to death by dogs in South Carolina

A 7-year-old South Carolina boy died after he was mauled by dogs while walking in his neighborhood with his brother Sunday, officials said.

The boy, identified as Shamar Jackson, was attacked while walking on Wilbur Road, which is about 45 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach, according to statements from the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

The siblings were looking for their chihuahua when they encountered a pack of dogs, their dad told The State, the local newspaper.

The brother managed to get away. Shamar, described by the sheriff's office as a straight-A student who was finishing up first grade at Lake View Elementary, was unable to escape.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...M44?li=BBnbfcL

Old 06-19-2021, 12:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,066,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Boy, 7, mauled to death by dogs in South Carolina

A 7-year-old South Carolina boy died after he was mauled by dogs while walking in his neighborhood with his brother Sunday, officials said.

The boy, identified as Shamar Jackson, was attacked while walking on Wilbur Road, which is about 45 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach, according to statements from the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

The siblings were looking for their chihuahua when they encountered a pack of dogs, their dad told The State, the local newspaper.

The brother managed to get away. Shamar, described by the sheriff's office as a straight-A student who was finishing up first grade at Lake View Elementary, was unable to escape.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...M44?li=BBnbfcL
In this crazy world, hardly anyone seems to care.
Life of an innocent kid does not stand a chance as it gets trumped every time by the love of the dogs and blaming the owners. End of the story

Old 06-19-2021, 12:24 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,066,783 times
Quote:
How do you respond to a pit bull’s attack?

Old 06-19-2021, 12:37 AM

4,949 posts, read 2,211,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have no biases against any particular animal or breed of animal, but I just never understand how anyone can leave such young ones alone in the vicinity of large and potentially dangerous animals.

Life is not always the same as YouTube videos where babies and small kids are happily hugging large animals.

https://abc11.com/family-dogs-attack...unty/10695022/
Thank God that I have cats that only THINK about killing me but are too lazy to act on it.

But seriously, I have a bias against pit bulls from personal experience. But I know wonderful people that unknowingly endangered their children's lives without incident.

We are a free people, I hope. What do we do?

Old 06-19-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How do you respond to a pit bull’s attack?
He was charging me and growling. I was walking so I did not face him head on. I stayed calm. Did not scream, did not run. Calmly said down as I would to my own dog. A dog is more likely to attack if you scream or run. As a child might have. Thankfully for me as well, while one of the owners (the man) did nothing and looked drugged out, the other called the dog back and he listened and then I calmly walked the heck away. And when my son has had practice at that location after, I do not choose to take a walk anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies