Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times

Advertisements

We also consider Memorial Day to be the start of the summer vacation season though we will have rain thru June here. Still, tonight and tomorrow morning the highways will be clogged with RVs and boats as people head for camping and boating. We always BBQ hot dogs, rain or shine, it's just our little tradition. We do think about those who died while serving in the U.S. military, but don't do anything else related to the purpose of the holiday. We are lucky to not have any friends or relatives that died in a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 01:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Well, in the past, I might do a toast of wine on the day......but now, my alcohol days are being me.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
I lawfully avoided service in the Vietnam war. I trained in ICU at the VA in SF and have cherished my time treating soldiers and their families.

We can only try to repay the debt and love owed to them

If you can't say something nice about them probably a good idea to keep it to yourself.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebs View Post
It's nothing more than another disgusting display of military propaganda. Instead of glorifying the poor souls who were sacrificed for no reason as heroes, how about we raise awareness about how pointless all these wars are?
Memorial Day honors those lost in battle.

It is never “disgusting, glorifying propaganda” to remember loved ones who have been lost.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:05 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think of all the 18-19 year old kids who died before they had a chance to live, so many in fights they didn’t even understand. And I think of and pray for their parents.

And guys like Pat Tillman who gave up a millionaire lifestyle as an NFL football player to do what is right for his country and made the ultimate sacrifice. How can anyone measure up to that?
So true about Pat Tillman, also during World War Two, glen miller lost his life, Jimmy Stewart flew fighter planes and had ptsd, Clark gable, audie Murphy who had the highest decorated medals. How many celebrities would give up their comfort and lifestyles now?

I will place flowers on my father in laws grave who served in World War Two and my uncles grave who was one of the soldiers storming the beach of Normandy.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebs View Post
It's nothing more than another disgusting display of military propaganda. Instead of glorifying the poor souls who were sacrificed for no reason as heroes, how about we raise awareness about how pointless all these wars are?

Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I lawfully avoided service in the Vietnam war. I trained in ICU at the VA in SF and have cherished my time treating soldiers and their families.

If you can't say something nice about them probably a good idea to keep it to yourself.
I would say that you still served our country. I’m sure the soldiers and their families appreciated you

Old 05-28-2021, 05:21 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
My mothers funeral was on a Memorial Day so that is etched in my mind.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:29 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not sure where to put this thread, but as Memorial Day was originally a day to honor people who died while in the U.S. military I thought I would put it here.

My husband and I are retired with no close family, but we always viewed Memorial Day as the unofficial start to summer and had a barbecue to celebrate, and when I was a kid, it always meant a visit to the cemetery to lay flowers on graves of deceased relatives, whether they had been in the military or not. (Btw, this year, my husband and I are not observing Memorial Day in any special way whatsoever.)

As it now seems to me that the most visible sign that it is Memorial Day weekend are all the Memorial Day sales going on, I am now wondering if most people observe or celebrate Memorial Day in any way?

And if you DO celebrate by having a patriotic display or by a cemetery visit, are you younger or older than 50?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

No, I don't celebrate it. It's a very sad day for me, a day of mourning. As for my age, I couldn't possibly comment.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:03 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post

I think that tending wounded soldiers would be as heartbreaking as working in a pediatric oncology unit. I honestly have much respect for people who do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies