Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should CRT be taught in our schools?
Yes 91 16.34%
No 447 80.25%
Other 19 3.41%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
History should be taught accurately. I don't care what they want to call it. It just so happens that the most accurate version of US history happens to be considered CRT by Republicans. Republicans demand history is taught in a way that emphasizes that we are a white Christian nation and that the country belongs to ONLY white Christians.
Quote:
Marx famously wrote, “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.”4 Critical theory differs from pure philosophy in its motivation to provoke change, and thus it necessarily traffics in the emotions.5 Challenging power relations, as critical theorists love to do, means provoking anger, disquiet, anxiety, and even fear in those with a settled understanding of who they are and where they belong...

In this Essay, I am interested in the relationship among ideology, ideological critique, and emotion. I argue that the ideological critique produced by Marx in the nineteenth century and by critical legal theorists in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries undertakes not only to persuade our minds but also to rally our emotions. To accomplish this, critical theorists show us that ideology is already a technique of emotion management. Ideology makes suffering invisible and compassion inappropriate by assuring us that the status quo is natural, normal, and necessary. Ideological critique, in turn, reveals the suffering beneath the bland façade of ideological concepts like “capital” and “property.” It tries to persuade us, moreover, that this suffering is unjust and unnecessary: that politics and not nature is its source, and that we should act to relieve it.
http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/abolit...Tde2Mz_boJWF2c

Uh huh…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 09:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
History should be taught accurately and fully. I agre. I also don't see how refusing to teach math does this on grounds that 'math is racist'. If you teach someone 2+2=4 that's now teaching Nazism apparently.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:32 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
History should be taught accurately and fully. I agre. I also don't see how refusing to teach math does this on grounds that 'math is racist'. If you teach someone 2+2=4 that's now teaching Nazism apparently.
The discussions about math have to do with the word problems mostly, and also about how non-white students are treated in math classes, and changing the focus to concepts and away from obsessing over procedure. Basically the same thing in common core that drove people mad.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The discussions about math have to do with the word problems mostly, and also about how non-white students are treated in math classes, and changing the focus to concepts and away from obsessing over procedure. Basically the same thing in common core that drove people mad.
Sorry but if a black kid can't figure out the correct answer it doesn't make math racist, it makes that kid bad at math.

Tell me again when you're driving across a new bridge 20 years from now how math is racist and a whole department full of diversity hires built the first woke bridge using "feelings as formulas"

Old 06-29-2021, 10:36 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
It does not appear the Democrat left's "nothing to see here, please, move along" strategy is working on this.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:39 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sorry but if a black kid can't figure out the correct answer it doesn't make math racist, it makes that kid bad at math.

Tell me again when you're driving across a new bridge 20 years from now how math is racist and a whole department full of diversity hires built the first woke bridge using "feelings as formulas"
It's not about that, it's about not using negative reinforcement.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:54 AM

You can’t possibly be more harmful to people than by punishing them because they did something positive or that they put a lot of time in to for you or themselves. Don’t believe me, lambast your SO the next time they do something for you and see if you have a relationship left.

You folks have no idea of the fire you’re playing with.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-29-2021 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 10:58 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's not about that, it's about not using negative reinforcement.
jeebus

https://equitablemath.org/wp-content.../1_STRIDE1.pdf

Old 06-29-2021, 11:05 AM

What dates did the US enter WW II? How about the Civil War? How about the most important battle of the Revolutionary War?

2021…
1941 - America enters WW II 12/11/1941
1861 - Confederate troops fire on Fort Sumter - 4/12/1861
1781 - The Battle of Yorktown starts on 9/28/1781 and is considered to be the most important battle of the RW

“I can’t even believe we talking about this right now.”

Old 06-29-2021, 11:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You can’t possibly be more harmful to people than by punishing them because they did something positive or that they put a lot of time in to for you or themselves. Don’t believe me, lambast your SO the next time they do something for you and see if you have a relationship left.

You folks have no idea of the fire you’re playing with.
I’m married and we communicate. When I tell her she did something wrong or made a mistake I provide the evidence to back up my accusation.

Why would one feel attacked if you are mature and use your words to communicate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies