Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 12:07 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Just because someone is on the Far Left does not mean they are a communist.
Hint-it really does.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:00 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Speaking of Economics:

Trump's administration passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act which slashed individual, corporate, and estate tax rates. Who benefits from this? Mostly the rich.

Trump's tax "reform" favored billionaires and corporations instead of everyday Americans.

This is one reason why I cannot for the life of me understand why the poorer southern (mostly red) states, with "average joe" blue collar workers who are by and large NOT rich, support Trump and the Republicans who ALWAYS favor the rich when it comes to ... EVERYTHING.

When it comes to the stimulus help, as an example, the Republicans were ALL against it even though now they're touting it as if they were all for it but in fact they all voted against it!
A higher minimum wage - Dems are for it, Republicans against it! Yet those poorer red states vote Republican not Democrat... I don't get it!

This is why people often point out that "people often vote against their own best interests".
I can't see why anyone making under $400k a year (let alone those making under $100k a year!) would support Republicans!

If you disagree, please tell me what Trump and Bush before him did to help the Average Joe?
In any case what Biden is proposing (higher minimum wage, help for single moms with child care, more help for the poor, possibly forgiving some college debt or providing some free education...) are all things that benefit the Average Joe, NOT the rich - which is why the Republicans in the Senate - ALL MILLIONAIRES - are against it! They ONLY want rules and laws and policies that benefit THEM, not us average Joes!

So why so many working class people support Trump is beyond me. What did he DO for you?
And if you're in Kentucky or South Carolina or etc what did Senators McConnell, Graham, etc do for you?
Because at the end of the day, for Trumpists, economics is only secondary In the end, it's about cultural values and attitudes. These "average blue collar Joes" (and even some of the "White Collar Jasons") and ultimately sizing up a person's worth. I add white collar because of two facts in my area:

1) Trump in 2020 won half the precincts in the solidly middle to upper middle class Dallas suburb of Plano. Not only than, he also won half the voters in Plano.
2) Three Dallas area 1/6 insurrectionists were anything but stereotypical "redneck". They were a residential realtor in well-to-do Frisco (just north of Plano), a lawyer, and a pilot for a luxury airliner.

Of course, you find this attitude among "average working class Joes" as much as the said "Jasons". Thus, Trump's support, IMO, seems as much about the said values as it is about economics, and I'd argue even more so. That's why I say that many (not all, but many) so-called "smartly dressed, polite, middle class suburbanites" are just rednecks with a better wardrobe, education, and bank account -- meaning that any differences between their values and ways of sizing up another person's worth and those of the "sure enough worst stereotypes of rednecks" is more stylistic than substantive.

For them, it's based on at least some of the following.

* The Religious Right - whether actual theocrats or those worried about the 'decline of moral Christian values' (mostly summed up as Christian Nationalism, prayer in schools, abortion, LGBT). But that's by no means the only route to Trumpism.

* Full faith in their basebrain, kneejerk, animalistic snap-judgments as the most reliable guide to truth and sizing up another person's worth. If they do listen to others, they listen to the "successful physical survivors" of dog-eat-dog competitions OR to talking heads who affirm what they or the "succssful survivors" say. This means firm belief in raw power / social dominance moves (verbal, and extra points if backed up by physical force). This is clearly the opposite of how philosophy and science operates (which relies on facts, data, logic, and reason). To these types, analysis is slow, cumbersome, and boring - if not for "wimps". Which leads to the next point

-- The decline of oft-proclaimed "common sense" traditional ways of doing things. They tend to latch onto oversimple answers/ memes about how society operates and/or should be like. They dislike complexity and nuance, and think bulldozing straight-forward action is the way to "git'er done!".

-- They think "human nature" and conventional ways of sizing up another person's worth are all fine and good the way they are, and don't need to change. Thus, anybody who can't succeed or be valued under the traditional 'tried and true common sense' rules deserves castigating as "weak", "wimpy", "whiner", "**tards", "strange", "stupid", "loser". Firm belief in this position is called "manly", "gusty", and "smart". Calls to change the rules to better show compassion and aid to the "losers", etc is handwaved away as "feminine", "over-sensitive", and "utopian"; which dismisses centuries of successful changes in the socio-cultural rules and government policies that enabled us to have what we call a 21st century lifestyle or standard of living in the first place.

-- "Manliness", "Rugged Individualism", and overall survival skills and productivity as the main measures of human worth (or at least that's the implication). Encourages contempt for "wimps", "crybabies", "feelings", "jelly-spined", "unmanly men", etc. In the end, its just old fashioned Social Darwinist "law of the jungle". In effect, shoehorning in Stone Age / Frontier West rules of survival into a Digital Age one (or even a mid to late Industrial Age one).

Again, note well that these beliefs are independent of personal income.
Trump supporters fondness for their hero is more a tooth-and-nail fight against social change than it is about their personal bank account. They think they're trying to save America from itself.

Last edited by Phil75230; 06-04-2021 at 05:38 AM..

Old 06-04-2021, 06:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ha, in his lawsuit defense under oath, Jones said that he suffered from a “form of psychosis” that made him think everything was staged. Jones is mentally ill and needs to seek treatment for it. If he refuses to do so, I will simply continue to be entertained by his paranoid, mindlessly insane rantings. Jones is like a movie that is so damned bad that it's good.
He did? Or is that what the media told you he said....

Old 06-04-2021, 06:16 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Conspiracies like...QAnon? Jade Helm? Comet Pizza?

How about some of these?

20 Conspiracy Theories Trump Has Pushed Before and During His Presidency
https://www.americanprogressaction.o...ed-presidency/
What you failed to point out (and maybe you don't even realize it) is that nobody with any political power espouses any of that.

Meanwhile, the conspiracy theories mentioned in the OP were being pushed by every political and social institution in the country.

Kind of a big difference. You're complaining about the crazy guy holding a sign on the corner, acting like he's going to single-handedly bring about the end of the world, while ignoring the giant lizard that's tearing down the skyscrapers behind you.

Qanon poses no threat to society. Totalitarian government does. Get your priorities straight.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:17 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Conspiracies like...QAnon? Jade Helm? Comet Pizza?

How about some of these?

20 Conspiracy Theories Trump Has Pushed Before and During His Presidency
https://www.americanprogressaction.o...ed-presidency/
When did the terminology change from "spin: to "conspiracy theroies"? Back in the dark ages of the 1980's we just called this stuff, spin...

Old 06-04-2021, 06:21 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

Where are the apologies Dear Democrats? You can start with apologizing to President Trump.
Those funny little spikes on that pretty looking virus SARS1- is the sensor and SARS2 is the explosive
Furin Cleavage
and arginine codons are where the source of origins will be found..........most likely............ a lab!

Stay tuned.............
Furin's Explosive Cleavage sounds like a rad as hell band name. Or a song by Primus. I'm just saying.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:21 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
The Commies don't exist in any numbers worth mentioning any more. Even in the USA at their height, they had no influence in government.
I'm impressed with your naivete. One doesn't see it at that level very often.

Considering your comment, there's about zero chance you're going to accept this, but you'll figure it out over time.

The Democratic Party has been taken over by a communist ideology.

I sort of thought that pretty much everyone posting here was politically savvy and at least minimally informed about the fundamentals of political philosophy, but I get proven wrong about that every day. Today is your day.

Read more. Dig deep. Understand what's going on, because right now, you're completely clueless.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:23 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Lies, Lies, Lies, made up crap, more made up crap to cover for the other made up crap, fake news to cement it in peoples minds... The Big Lie....
Most recent was Russia, Russia, Russia, a complete fabricated lie. Biden is in bed with Putin today.... Anyone but America needs a pipeline?
After calling Alex Jones a liar 16 months ago, when he exposed the Wuhan Lab, Fauci and Bill Gates connections and gain of function to reduce the worlds population. Many more were booted into silence.

Well now, CNN, MSDNC, Politico... all pushed another conspiracy theory that it could never ever have originated from the CCP as a bioweapon, released upon the world, because of Donald Trump's move to cleans the world of evil Satan.
One Nation under GOD.....

#GainOfFunction.
You're screwing with us, right? I mean, you can't honestly believe Donald Trump of all people has the power to cleanse of the world of evil.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:07 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm impressed with your naivete. One doesn't see it at that level very often.

Considering your comment, there's about zero chance you're going to accept this, but you'll figure it out over time.

The Democratic Party has been taken over by a communist ideology.

I sort of thought that pretty much everyone posting here was politically savvy and at least minimally informed about the fundamentals of political philosophy, but I get proven wrong about that every day. Today is your day.

Read more. Dig deep. Understand what's going on, because right now, you're completely clueless.
Oh please! The Democrats today are basically social-issues-liberal pre-Trump Republicans. In Europe, they'd fit in fine with the conservative parties in those countries. To be a communist, you must believe in abolishing private ownership of wealth-generating properties, and have them owned by either the government or by all society. If the Democrats don't call for that (they don't, not even Bernie or AOC), then they're not communist. It's...that...simple.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:33 PM

801 posts, read 451,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ha, in his lawsuit defense under oath, Jones said that he suffered from a “form of psychosis” that made him think everything was staged. Jones is mentally ill and needs to seek treatment for it. If he refuses to do so, I will simply continue to be entertained by his paranoid, mindlessly insane rantings. Jones is like a movie that is so damned bad that it's good.
It would be funny, if it weren't dangerous. But it is dangerous because so many people who do not do critical thinking believe in everything he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies