Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 17,684 times

Advertisements

For those who have (or haven't) heard, this is basically a sweepstakes created by our governor for the sole purpose of bribing the rest of the holdouts to get vaccinated for Covid-19 so we can all move on.

I had held out because I saw in our states (and workplaces), people were getting incentives to get the shots. It seemed that it was never going to happen for us, so I finally just decided to get it early this month.

https://covid19.ca.gov/vax-for-the-win/

Having looked at the program, the state is giving out $15 million worth of prizes. 10 people will win $1.5 million each. The bad news for those of us (who cared to protect ourselves against this nasty virus) is that we are not eligible.

How do you like that? I'd say we got screwed. Those are better chances to become a millionaire (like 1 out of 20 million) than playing the lottery. Thanks a lot. Now I'm starting to understand why some don't like that governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 06:36 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
I'm not sure what you're reading, but I went to your link and it says all people that have been vaccinated are eligible for the $1.5M and also $50K.

What prior vaccinated people aren't eligible for is $50 in the form of a MasterCard or grocery gift card to various stores.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
I'm going to hold out until they guarantee me the $1.5 million prize. :P

Old 05-28-2021, 10:36 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
First if all, i think you are wrong. Second, it is no different from companies having promotions that dont apply to new customers and incentivize behavior.

People really digging deep here lol

Old 05-28-2021, 11:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablang View Post
For those who have (or haven't) heard, this is basically a sweepstakes created by our governor for the sole purpose of bribing the rest of the holdouts to get vaccinated for Covid-19 so we can all move on.

I had held out because I saw in our states (and workplaces), people were getting incentives to get the shots. It seemed that it was never going to happen for us, so I finally just decided to get it early this month.

https://covid19.ca.gov/vax-for-the-win/

Having looked at the program, the state is giving out $15 million worth of prizes. 10 people will win $1.5 million each. The bad news for those of us (who cared to protect ourselves against this nasty virus) is that we are not eligible.

How do you like that? I'd say we got screwed. Those are better chances to become a millionaire (like 1 out of 20 million) than playing the lottery. Thanks a lot. Now I'm starting to understand why some don't like that governor.
Everyone who has had at least one shot is entered. Your vaccine card has a unique number on it, the winning numbers will be announced then if it's your number you will have to provide your card.

There is another program (in addition to the lottery) for people who get vaccinated AFTER May 27th, everyone in that group will get a $50 gift card https://covid19.ca.gov/vax-for-the-win/

As far as odds of winning, "The odds of winning Mega Millions is about 1 in 300 million. The odds of winning California's vaccine lottery are substantially better. With 22 million vaccinated Californians and ten $1.5 million prizes, the odds are about 1 in 2.2 million." https://abc7news.com/how-to-enter-ca...p-ca/10706005/

Old 05-29-2021, 07:15 AM

12 posts, read 17,684 times
Thanks guys for telling me that I am eligible.

That was not my understanding from reading the flyer that was initially posted (that early vaxxers are eligible) but I guess if you've heard it on the news somewhere, it must be true. If it is true, then I would retract my negative statement about Guvnor.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for telling me that I am eligible.

That was not my understanding from reading the flyer that was initially posted (that early vaxxers are eligible) but I guess if you've heard it on the news somewhere, it must be true. If it is true, then I would retract my negative statement about Guvnor.
No problem, I hope you win!

Old 05-29-2021, 07:42 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Nope, you are not entitled to anything. Anyone who is intelligent enough to weigh the data (risks from vaccine vs risks from getting COVID) would determine this is a no brainer. If you're going to follow these vaccine conspiracy theories or don't feel any obligation to do your part to help control the spread, I have no patience for you. From my perspective, this is your civic duty, just like voting. Vaccines are literally going to waste and there are spikes among unvaccinated folks across the country. Meanwhile, people are dying in India by the tens of thousands because they can't even get oxygen, much less the vaccine.

The fact that Newsom HAD to offer this incentive isn't a poor reflection on him. Rather, it's a sad state of affairs that we have so many stupid or selfish folks that this had to be done in the first place.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times

The fact that Newsom HAD to offer this incentive isn't a poor reflection on him. Rather, it's a sad state of affairs that we have so many stupid or selfish folks that this had to be done in the first place."

People in other countries are dropping dead. They fight for the vaccination, but there isn't enough. Travelers from South America spend thousands because the only way to get vaccinated is coming to our country.

Then we have the locals bitching because they lost their chance for a million bucks. What a sick country we became.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Another desperate attempt to save his sorry azz. Yes I got the shot so he screwed me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies