Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. If you were scared of RPM in the last 20 years, that’s some serious fear. I’ve been going there since it opened and there’s always been young kids, teenagers, etc..., walking around by themselves, and I’ve never witnessed any gang violence or anything like what was reported with these recent thugs. It’s always been one of the safest places to shop in the Pittsburgh area.

Do you have any links to this supposed gang activity that’s been occurring there for the last 20 years?
I was wondering the same thing! I don't always agree with you, Erieguy, but I must concur with you on this one as I've been going to that mall off and on since the late nineties; my former spouse and current partner have, like you, been going to RPM since it opened. (Both laughed when I told them that someone wrote that Ross Park has been a hive of gang violence for decades.)

I do recall an incident from several years ago, but other than that it's not exactly a hot bed of gang activity. People aren't exactly getting smoked on the reg while waiting for the McKnight Flyer nor are there regular gang fights (or fights of any kind, to be honest) at the mall. (Kennywood seems to hold the dubious honor of random youth fights these days....)

The Burlington Coat Factory downtown can be different story--especially during the warmer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 11:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
You’re welcome
Keep an eye on me. I’d appreciate it.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:24 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Keep an eye on me. I’d appreciate it.
No problem. It always helps to get the truth out there. Please do post links to any gang activity in the last 20 years at RPM if you come across any. I’d definitely be interested in reading about it.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I was wondering the same thing! I don't always agree with you, Erieguy, but I must concur with you on this one as I've been going to that mall off and on since the late nineties; my former spouse and current partner have, like you, been going to RPM since it opened. (Both laughed when I told them that someone wrote that Ross Park has been a hive of gang violence for decades.)

I do recall an incident from several years ago, but other than that it's not exactly a hot bed of gang activity. People aren't exactly getting smoked on the reg while waiting for the McKnight Flyer nor are there regular gang fights (or fights of any kind, to be honest) at the mall. (Kennywood seems to hold the dubious honor of random youth fights these days....)

The Burlington Coat Factory downtown can be different story--especially during the warmer months.
Been laughing at that myself. Sadly, some folks obviously live in great fear if they think RPM was unsafe or had gang violence for the the last 20 years.

Definitely been hearing about incidents at Kennywood. Hopefully it gets cleaned up.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Been laughing at that myself. Sadly, some folks obviously live in great fear if they think RPM was unsafe or had gang violence for the the last 20 years.

Definitely been hearing about incidents at Kennywood. Hopefully it gets cleaned up.
I do, too.

Since COVID, I haven't worked downtown, but prior to that, I would ride the bus during the week. Fridays in the summertime often sucked as that's when the kids from the different neighborhoods would congregate in their usual locations (Liberty Ave. and Wood; Smithfield over by Burlington) and there would often be a scuffle--often preplanned via social media that would drift over to Seventh and Penn where I was waiting for a bus to arrive.

Always hated that--mostly because it was super annoying and sometimes tied up traffic when the cops would arrive to break it up and only the tiniest bit that I was fearful that I'd get caught in the crossfire of some b.s. grudge fight. What's odd is when I lived in another part of town and would wait for the bus near the old jail, none of that sort of crap occurred--probably because it was fairly removed from the main downtown bus hub and it was prior to these idiots being able to quickly and conveniently arrange meetups via cell phones, let alone social media.

To be honest, the Tree of Life shooting and the L.A. Fitness shooting made me far warier than anything than I ever have heard about in this area or experienced in the neighborhoods in which I lived. (I used to regularly hear gunshots when I lived in neighborhoods not far from various projects.)

Old 05-31-2021, 09:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
How could you possibly know that Republicans don’t have a solution for Pittsburgh? They have not been in charge there for decades. One thing we absolutely do know is that Democrats have no answer for Pittsburgh.
I never said anything about Republicans not having a solution for Pgh. I was the one who posted the last Republican mayor was in 1933. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter if Republicans have a solution for Pgh for they can't get elected in Pgh. At one time, Democrats controlled the Allegheny County government, but this has changed.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I never said anything about Republicans not having a solution for Pgh. I was the one who posted the last Republican mayor was in 1933. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter if Republicans have a solution for Pgh for they can't get elected in Pgh. At one time, Democrats controlled the Allegheny County government, but this has changed.
Yep, keep the D vote going and continue to watch population decline, desirability lacking, lousy economy, skyrocketing crime, etc..., to keep on rolling. Makes total sense, lol.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
PROPAGANDA.

Not really worth commenting on. Too many people with guns is the problem

Old 05-31-2021, 09:33 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
When you demonize police and glorify, coddle, and make excuses for criminals, this is what you get.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
PROPAGANDA.

Not really worth commenting on. Too many people with guns is the problem
Too many illegal gun owners is the problem. The revolving door of justice swings way too freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies