Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:29 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,238,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
A brand new thing, relatively, in the history of the nation.
Everything is brand new at one time or another. Do you want me to make a concise list of everything that has changed since 1776? You're arbitrarily defining tradition and norms to be whatever you want them to be. The founding fathers would think modern conservatives are basically a bunch of commies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 03:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Everything is brand new at one time or another. Do you want me to make a concise list of everything that has changed since 1776? You're arbitrarily defining tradition and norms to be whatever you want them to be. The founding fathers would think modern conservatives are basically a bunch of commies.
You throw around the word "commie" way too easily yet nitpick the actual definition of conservative and progressive.

If you think something that is only a couple years old is part of the "traditions" of the country, then you are mistaken.

If you don't believe in the actual definition of conservative, then what is your definition of it?

Old 06-01-2021, 03:47 PM

1,153 posts, read 635,876 times
Quote:
Oh good lord please stop with this incessant "Q" garbage.

I'm a Trump supporter as well as 90% of my friends, family, coworkers, and NONE of them know what the hell "Q" is.

If you can't understand that the Trump platform is popular, even if he is polarizing, then you are missing the boat.

You, mitt romney, liz cheney, and paul ryan can go reminisce about old times and losing the 2008 and 2012 elections.

"Q" is a construct of the left, just like "Russia," or "Systemic Racism" or whatever other buzzword they use to squelch conversation.

Don't fall for it.
What you said reminds me of a Trump supporter I met in Texas who told me straight up that Trump is a New York Liberal(literally his exact words) but he has more balls and common sense than any other politician and that's why he supported him for the 2016 election.

I think people overlook just how many people voted for Trump simply because of how poor the options are on both parties as opposed to thinking he's some god.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:50 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,893,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
What you said reminds me of a Trump supporter I met in Texas who told me straight up that Trump is a New York Liberal(literally his exact words) but he has more balls and common sense than any other politician and that's why he supported him for the 2016 election.

I think people overlook just how many people voted for Trump simply because of how poor the options are on both parties as opposed to thinking he's some god.
I didn't vote for him in 2016, I left the top of the ticket blank. Couldn't vote for Clinton either. In 2020 I most certainly voted for Trump because the Dems have just gone too far left for me, not out of some great love of Trump of the Republicans in general. My vote was a vote against the Dem party.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:03 PM

5,593 posts, read 2,330,305 times
Quote:
Oh good lord please stop with this incessant "Q" garbage.
https://www.businessinsider.com/30-o...ry-poll-2021-1
30% of Republicans have 'favorable' view of QAnon conspiracy theory

Old 06-01-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post

Right. I couldn't care less about Trump the "person." He's not a god to me nor is any politician in history.

Trump's PLATFORM is what I voted for and a whole lot of other people agree with it too.

Liberals think that if someone doesn't vote the way they do they must be brainwashed or in a cult. They literally live in their own protected echo chambers and block out all dissenting opinions.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/30-o...ry-poll-2021-1
30% of Republicans have 'favorable' view of QAnon conspiracy theory
Thanks for helping to prove our point. Even a left wing think tank can't even squeeze out a THIRD of republicans. Many of those probably are just screwing with the pollster.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:20 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,238,856 times
Quote:
You throw around the word "commie" way too easily yet nitpick the actual definition of conservative and progressive.
Probably, but I was trying to make a point. You keep appealing to the founding of the country as the basis for conservatism(traditionalism?), but refuse to recognize that both the country and conservatism has changed dramatically since 1776.

Thus you're appealing to an imaginary conservatism which either never existed, or hasn't existed for 200 years. If you're basing your views on the founding fathers, you might as well claim that slavery is an American tradition, or that only rich white men should vote.

You'll of course reply "but that doesn't exist anymore", and I'll say "exactly". Everything is "brand new" at one time or another. What was once progressive is now conservative.

Quote:
If you think something that is only a couple years old is part of the "traditions" of the country, then you are mistaken.
How many years does it take before it becomes a tradition?

My overarching point is, when we say "conservative" we know what we mean. Just because something has existed for 50 years doesn't make it conservative. Just because it has existed for 100 years doesn't make it conservative. Even something that existed in 1776, doesn't make it conservative. Even though social-security is overwhelmingly supported by conservatives, social-security is not conservative. Neither is the military-industrial complex, even if it is overwhelmingly supported by Republicans. Etc. Etc.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:23 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,179,368 times
We are all going to lose if we continue to think, as a conservative, your enemy is a liberal and vice versa. The issue is much bigger than R vs. D.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:31 PM

4,571 posts, read 4,118,469 times
Given the structure of the Supreme Court, the electoral college and the Senate, combined with Democratic incompetence I would say conservatives will not lose.

.........but America eventually will. Either through China overtaking or through disintegration due to infighting rooted in inequality caused by conservative policies, we are going downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies