Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 01:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Yes it takes time and effort to get an ID.

Voter ID laws or the threat thereof have been around for ages. Depending on the state, anywhere from 7 to 20 years now. Plenty of time to get in compliance.
The burden that any particular law imposes has to be balanced against the harm that it prevents. Voter fraud is far more of a speculative harm than one that has ever been shown to be significant. Frankly, I see what we were forced to do to get my daughter a driver's license as over-the-top. I've lived in this state forever. Frankly, neither my daughter or I should have to perform gymnastics to vote. Do I sound resentful? Perhaps, it is because I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 02:02 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The burden that any particular law imposes has to be balanced against the harm that it prevents. Voter fraud is far more of a speculative harm than one that has ever been shown to be significant. Frankly, I see what we were forced to do to get my daughter a driver's license as over-the-top. I've lived in this state forever. Frankly, neither my daughter or I should have to perform gymnastics to vote. Do I sound resentful? Perhaps, it is because I am.
Your daughter did not need a drivers license to vote.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Your daughter did not need a drivers license to vote.
She needed official ID to register. The process would have been similar for other official ID.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:33 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Not everyone buys alcohol.
Yeah, but they need ID to get out of jail after they steal alcohol!

Old 05-31-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
She needed official ID to register. The process would have been similar for other official ID.
What state do you live in?

Old 05-31-2021, 02:47 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Ask that question in EVERY county in EVERY state - and you will have very different answers.

Birth Certificates have NEVER been federally mandated. EVER.
So how did anyone apply for social security, driver’s license, Medicare, schools, food stamps, jobs? I’m sorry, I’m still standing by that we need ID for voting. If they want to vote, they can figure out how to get a ID.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
So how did anyone apply for social security, driver’s license, Medicare, schools, food stamps, jobs? I’m sorry, I’m still standing by that we need ID for voting. If they want to vote, they can figure out how to get a ID.
Moot point.

Fact: If they wanted to vote, they would have gotten into compliance by now. We are years into this voter ID controversy.

Many resources are available to assist if needed. Here's one:

https://www.voteriders.org/about/

Our programs and services fall into three main areas:

INDIVIDUAL VOTER ASSISTANCE

We provide information about voter ID requirements for every voter in every state, via our nationwide toll-free Voter ID Helpline (844-338-8743), online resources, and our on-the-ground teams. We assist voters who need to obtain an ID to vote in their state, including:

covering the cost of required documents (birth certificates, Social Security cards, name-change court orders, etc.),
arranging transportation to their local DMV to secure voter ID
pro bono legal assistance with documentation

VOTER ID EDUCATION

We inform people about voter ID requirements so that they have confidence their vote will count. We bring clarity to the widespread confusion about voter ID and its relationship to voter registration and other voting rights issues. We highlight developments in voter ID laws, their implementation, and their consequences. This includes our outreach through traditional and social media.

PARTNERSHIPS

We partner with local organizations to find, inform, and help voters with voter ID, especially those most at risk of losing their right to vote. Our Partner Organizations are crucial to the work we do. Their community connections and volunteer programs multiply and sustain our impact across the country.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:54 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Because it reduces their chances of winning. Next question.
Yup.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:01 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
To know if that is true one has to look at exactly how the Electoral College works ---

How the Electoral College works

"In the United States, a candidate becomes president not by winning a majority of the national popular vote but through a system called the Electoral College, which allots electoral votes to the 50 states and the District of Columbia largely based on their population."

Where does it benefit a party the most --- to gain majority of votes, or to repress the majority of votes?

Example: Trump could not figure out how Hilary won the popular vote and he won the presidency.
Trump kept insisting the popular votes was his. Because he thought it was a popularity contest. He probably still does.
Are you serious? I think he had if figured out. Nonsensical posts like this add nothing to the discussion.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:03 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Florida already required photo ID for voting. College ID was allowed.

Florida just changed their law to remove College ID as one of the accepted IDs
. Not because there was any voter fraud. Not because there were any problems with College ID. The Intent is to reduce the number of college students which cast ballots.

Republicans know that college students prefer Democrats over Republicans. So by removing College ID as acceptable ID to vote, Republicans have effectively reduced votes by college students. This was the intent of the law - to reduce votes from groups that are more likely to vote Democratic. Yes, some college students vote R. However, as a group they vote much heavier for Dems. GOP is glad to get rid of some of the college students votes, because they know overall more Dems votes will be reduced than R votes.
Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies