Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 06:18 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,381,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
It really comes down to what history one wishes to focus on.

Democrats & liberal minded folks prefer to focus on all of the negative aspects of U.S. history, anything which makes America look bad. They constantly dwell upon slavery or past racism (Jim Crow), or the fact that women had less rights a long time ago. They're basically living in the past, their minds stuck on past negative historical deeds that were committed by a tiny percentage of people.

I would prefer that the focus of American history be mostly directed on the positive aspects, which far outweigh the negative (in my opinion), and will inspire people toward a wholesome future progress.

If all we focus on are the negative aspects of our history, then our future won't be very bright as a nation.
What are some of the positives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 06:23 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,886,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
It really comes down to what history one wishes to focus on.

Democrats & liberal minded folks prefer to focus on all of the negative aspects of U.S. history, anything which makes America look bad. They constantly dwell upon slavery or past racism (Jim Crow), or the fact that women had less rights a long time ago. They're basically living in the past, their minds stuck on past negative historical deeds that were committed by a tiny percentage of people.

I would prefer that the focus of American history be mostly directed on the positive aspects, which far outweigh the negative (in my opinion), and will inspire people toward a wholesome future progress.

If all we focus on are the negative aspects of our history, then our future won't be very bright as a nation.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:33 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
The girl's refusal to press charges is meaningless. A white girl who had been assaulted by a black man would have been considered "damaged goods" and would have been basically shunned by white society.

And whether or not there was an attempted lynching vs an attempted jail break was and is a disputed point.
The girl's refusal to press charges was meaningless? You serious?

Old 06-02-2021, 06:38 AM

1,301 posts, read 662,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What are some of the positives?
Creating the most successful nation on Earth that has uplifted the most people out of poverty, and fed more people than any other human civilization in history, and invented electricity, the automobile, trains, planes, modern medicine, antibiotics, vaccines, etc. -- ended slavery, helped to end Soviet Communism, helped to end Nazism, helped to end Imperial Japanese expansionism.

America has created more wealth, lifted more people out of poverty, and saved more lives (due to medical inventions) than probably nearly all other nations on this planet combined.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:00 AM

8,822 posts, read 4,488,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The girl's refusal to press charges was meaningless? You serious?
You don't get out much, do you? 100 years ago, to be a rape victim was like wearing the scarlet letter of shame. And it really hasn't changed that much.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:14 AM

72,842 posts, read 62,249,253 times
There were reports of men in airplanes dropping kerosene bombs on Greenwood, Tulsa. This means it would make it the first time a bombing took place on U.S. soil.

https://www.history.com/news/1921-tu...-aerial-attack

Old 06-02-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
You don't get out much, do you? 100 years ago, to be a rape victim was like wearing the scarlet letter of shame. And it really hasn't changed that much.
And you know this because you saw it with your own eyes 100 years ago? So you must be what? About a hundred and twenty?

Old 06-02-2021, 07:28 AM

45,322 posts, read 26,898,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not Soros... it's China - get it right. You know what's going on...

See pages 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, and 85.

China Daily Distribution Corp. - FARA Amendment
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
When I hit your link a box opened with the question "Do you want to open or save 3457-Amendment-20200601-2.pdf (17.3 MB) from efile.fara.gov?" I declined. I don't trust you people.
Quote:
It's a government document on a government website. efile.fara.gov

Actually it's a PDF file of the actual legal filing by China Daily Distribution. You will see ALL of the publications that they pay on the pages I mentioned.

Since it's a PDF file instead of a typical HTML/ASP/PHP page, your browser simply asked how you want to view the file.

There are no monsters under the bed. It's an 86 page PDF file.
Just checking to see if you followed up on this...

Old 06-02-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Just checking to see if you followed up on this...
Nope. I still don't trust you. Post a simple link that I recognize and I'll check it out. Anyway I assume you're trying to claim that since a Chinese paper pays for advertising in the Wall Street Journal then it must be a propaganda arm of the Chinese Communist Party and therefore can't possibly be a respectable conservative leaning publication, or some such QAnon nonsense. Am I right?

Old 06-02-2021, 07:45 AM

14,858 posts, read 8,163,032 times
There is so much ignorance in this thread it is appalling. It is amazing how the media can whip people into a hysteria with 100 year-old unconfirmed, unproven rumors.

Official death count was 37. About a third of them white. The first several men to be killed were all white. Almost none of the more ridiculous claims are even plausible. Trucks with bodies stacked like Cordwood, dumped into the river as part of some "cover-up". As if dumping a bunch of bodies in a river won't wash up down river.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/app/race-riot/timeline.html

Planes "bombing" Greenwood would have required pilots to literally throw dynamite(or whatever) out of their cockpit while flying without blowing themselves up, and without hitting the national guardsmen and other whites on the ground.

From the article.... "At its best, aerial bombing during World War I was more of a psychological than tactical weapon. Bombsights were crude, in some cases no more than crosshairs over a hole in the bottom of the fuselage, and accuracy was almost nil.

Dropping bombs from a Jenny would have been even more imprecise. It would have required throwing the explosive or incendiary device out of the cockpit without hitting the plane’s lower wing span or, in the case of an incendiary, catching the plane on fire. All accounts seem to agree the planes’ appearance coincided with the invasion of Greenwood, which raises the likelihood that the bombs would have been at least as much of a danger to the National Guard and the other whites flooding into the neighborhood as they were to blacks."

Get real people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies