Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
This. You said it all. The treatment of American workers by many corporations is nothing to be proud of.
How are corporations mistreating US workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, any movement that seeks to give away OPM until the lower earners are “equal” to the higher-achieving earners discounts any contributions (or lack thereof) of the people involved. What about hard work, discipline, being on time, sticking to a schedule, getting some job training, finishing high school, not having babies OOW, etc?

If you just hand money over to people to “equalize” them, you’ve disincentivized people from putting in the effort to better themselves.
Agree with everything you said, but unfortunately, it ignores more than it got right.

EQUITY also refers to people having EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, which is direct contrast to what OP is saying. OP thinks (and you fail to acknowledge if you agree or not) that if two people of differing background have the same opportunity to reap the benefits of hard work, sticking to a schedule and all that, that it is communism. That is false.

I do agree with your comment Rachel, but it has to be in the context that hard work, discipline and all that is what it takes, and if we ever get to a place where everything else (opportunity, for example) is equal, then that will be great.

As it stands now, many people are at an inherent disadvantage. Maybe because they were born into a bad situation, or because they didn't have some of the opportunities other more fortunate people had, their hard work and discipline may not have the same results, or it may take more of those characteristics to get the same results. While that IS life, and people need to play the cards they are dealt, it is not Equity, nor is it communism.

I am all for "play the cards you are dealt", and not for handing out OPM. But we must acknowledge that everyone does not have equal opportunity in this world. It just "IS", and we'll do better recognizing it. Those that have it should appreciate it more, those that don't will need to work even harder, and everyone else needs to quit making assumptions about other people's lot in life, because they really have no clue.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agree with everything you said, but unfortunately, it ignores more than it got right.

EQUITY also refers to people having EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, which is direct contrast to what OP is saying. OP thinks (and you fail to acknowledge if you agree or not) that if two people of differing background have the same opportunity to reap the benefits of hard work, sticking to a schedule and all that, that it is communism. That is false.

I do agree with your comment Rachel, but it has to be in the context that hard work, discipline and all that is what it takes, and if we ever get to a place where everything else (opportunity, for example) is equal, then that will be great.

As it stands now, many people are at an inherent disadvantage. Maybe because they were born into a bad situation, or because they didn't have some of the opportunities other more fortunate people had, their hard work and discipline may not have the same results, or it may take more of those characteristics to get the same results. While that IS life, and people need to play the cards they are dealt, it is not Equity, nor is it communism.

I am all for "play the cards you are dealt", and not for handing out OPM. But we must acknowledge that everyone does not have equal opportunity in this world. It just "IS", and we'll do better recognizing it. Those that have it should appreciate it more, those that don't will need to work even harder, and everyone else needs to quit making assumptions about other people's lot in life, because they really have no clue.
Again, Asian students disproves your narrative. Asian immigrants are among the poorest in the country, yet succeed the highest. Opportunity exists and we should offer resources to all, but the person has to make with it what they will. Individual agency is supreme

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-01-2021 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: deleted quote by troll and reply to it

Old 06-01-2021, 09:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Very easy to be misled, but once you've understood this everything is clear. What we all need to fight for is equality, which is equality of opportunity, which means everyone gets a fair shot to make of their lives what they can through their individual agency/effort/responsibility.

"Equity" is a completely different concept and means equality of outcome, which is the communist philosophy of Utopianism. They believe flattening the end result is the only way, even if it means destroying merit and bringing down people who have earned their success down to the lowest common denominator

We should all know by how how communism ends, this latest generation apparently has no clue
Equally miserable....
Welcome to being someone else's property.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I’ve said here before that I favor dropping race-based affirmative action (which is racist) and replacing it with a different system whereby the top 5% of students in all high schools (so students from poor schools compete against their own cohort), with a HH income of less than $100k, get an automatic admission and tuition paid to the state university. That would enable (and reward) hard-working, motivated, academically superior kids from poorer backgrounds get an opportunity to achieve affluence.

I certainly appreciate what I have. But I also know that both my parents (and their siblings) ALL graduated from college, even though they were from poor families where none of their parents even finished high school. They did so by being the top, or near top, of their class - and getting admission/tuition to great colleges.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
How are corporations mistreating US workers?
NYC CEO? Lol.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40495233...g-corporations

Old 06-01-2021, 09:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'll never buy into the "equity" idea because it's illogical any way you look at it.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:00 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I did not grow up in a household that had money. My parents barely made ends meet and eventually our house was foreclosed on, our cars repossessed, etc. As a teen there was no money for college and I worked multiple jobs just to make ends meet and after doing this a few years I realized I couldnt live life like that. I looked at my options and decided the military was the best route. It changed my life around and gave me not only real world experience but also a 100% free college education. I have a great job now with co workers that have degrees from well known expensive colleges and much different backgrounds than me. We all had the same opportunities, just different ways of getting there. Blaming others for your misfortune is a step in the wrong direction. Opportunity exists for anyone that wants to pursue it and I feel the more that people are told there isnt equal opportunity, the more they believe it, just give up and then become a "victim" of society. Stop talking about it, treat everyone equally, and people will succeed regardless of their backgrounds.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I went to your link, it talks about how most of the public want companies to share more of their profits with employees.

Where is the part about mistreating employees?

Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Very easy to be misled, but once you've understood this everything is clear. What we all need to fight for is equality, which is equality of opportunity, which means everyone gets a fair shot to make of their lives what they can through their individual agency/effort/responsibility.

"Equity" is a completely different concept and means equality of outcome, which is the communist philosophy of Utopianism. They believe flattening the end result is the only way, even if it means destroying merit and bringing down people who have earned their success down to the lowest common denominator

We should all know by how how communism ends, this latest generation apparently has no clue
This is why I believe Social Security should be eliminated, its communist. Why should I pay tax dollars to provide "Equity" in retirement to someone who did not prepare or save for retirement.

Who here is with me!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies