Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 06:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

I bet 95% of black people where I live couldn't even find Isreal on a map, nor do they know anything about the Jewish religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 06:33 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Don’t care for her positions on various issues but I don’t doubt what she saw. How Israel was established was wrong and caused even greater problems in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I bet 95% of black people where I live couldn't even find Isreal on a map, nor do they know anything about the Jewish religion.
I bet the very same for the whites where I live, despite the fact that over half of them likely think God told them to protect Israel whether wrong or right and will give donations to the country they can’t even identify on the map.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:40 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Don’t care for her positions on various issues but I don’t doubt what she saw. How Israel was established was wrong and caused even greater problems in the region.

I bet the very same for the whites where I live, despite the fact that over half of them likely think God told them to protect Israel whether wrong or right and will give donations to the country they can’t even identify on the map.
So,what should have been done with the Jews who survived the Holocaust? They had no homes to return to in Europe, and wouldn’t want to anyway after the attempt to exterminate them. And Roosevelt sure didn’t want the Jews in this country - Americans were antisemitic and adamantly opposed.

No solution was ideal, but of course having survived after witnessing 6 million of your countrymen murdered because....Jews!.....isn’t an ideal either. It made sense to relocate them to their ancestral homeland, and the Palestinians on the land were compensated more than market value for their arid land. The problem was that the antisemites wouldn’t accept the two-state solution, and still don’t. (They’ve turned down each opportunity for it.)

And remember, many of the Jews living in Israel are descended not from Holocaust survivors but from Jews who had been banished from their Arab countries - 800,000 of them.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Cullor said "end the imperialist project that is called Israel" in the context of calling it "this generation's South Africa". She really does need to expound on what she means by "end". She goes onto call for divestment in and boycotts of Israeli products. Because of the context of South Africa, I tend to think that she'd call the end of apartheid in 1994 as the "end" of South Africa. The institution basically completely dissolved and began anew. It's not the same country. Between that context and calling the whole of the region Palestine, I think one can reasonably deduce that she's an advocate of a one-state solution.

From my understanding of the history of the conflict, a one-state solution is untenable. The stated goal of Israel is to have a state where a decisive majority of citizens are Jewish. I used to be unsympathetic to that goal given that the whole concept of ethno/nation-states creeps me out, but the history behind much of the immigration to Israel tells me that the majority of immigration to Israel was historically more driven by its safe haven status than high-handed Zionism. I have a strong suspicion that Cullor is not aware of this history and has really only been focused on the story of the region post-1967. Integration of Gaza and West Bank Palestinians into the state would make Jewish people only a slim majority, so that isn't happening.

Palestinians who have been pogromed and ethnically cleansed for over 70 years now have no interest in being a slim minority and sharing a state either, which is completely understandable.

Given the stated goal and purpose of Israel, it follows that the occupation and colonization of the West Bank necessarily means ethnic cleansing. It seems pretty clear that Israel's current path for the West Bank going forward is to ghettoize the enclaves just like what has happened in Gaza. Given that this is the status quo, I really do fail to see how Palestinians can be found as aggressors or equally at fault. I reject the premise that the 1967 war justifies Israel's actions in the West Bank.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anyone who has visited this part of the world is aware that Israel treats Palestinians as something less than human.
Israel even treats Ethiopians, people more closely related to the ancient Hebrews, as less than human. There was a reason Moses was able to blend in with the Egyptians...he looked like them!

Old 06-02-2021, 08:04 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I have the sneaking suspicion that this map is BS. Tell me... when did the nation of palestine exist? (as implied by your handy-dandy map)
Palestine, Trans Jordan and Iraq were one country.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:19 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Palestine, Trans Jordan and Iraq were one country.
What? Historically, no, never. From the Babylonians to the Persians to the Romans to the Ottomans to the brief British interlude, these regions have always been administered separately, even if they were part of the same empire, because they're very culturally distinct from each other.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:47 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
if Jordan had not attacked Israel unprovoked in ‘67, they wouldn’t have lost that land.

That canard is disputed: https://mondoweiss.net/2017/06/provo...ting-survival/

"Israel provoked the Six-Day War in 1967, and it was not fighting for survival."

Old 06-02-2021, 09:07 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

"Israel provoked the Six-Day War in 1967, and it was not fighting for survival."
I’m not clicking on Mondoweiss. That’s a horribly antisemitic website that spews lies. And the fact that YOU are going to it for your information tells me how you’ve become so brainwashed to hate Israel.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:49 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

Really, you can find much better support for your argument than Mondoweiss.

True, Israel was the first to attack. I know the anti-Israel crew wish Israel had waited until they'd run out of oil and other essentials, until Nasser acted on his threats to eradicate Israel, until the Soviet Union gave more arms and training to Egypt and Syria, until more Arab troops were amassed on Israeli borders. Oh, another Israeli 'provocation' was the Egyptian expulsion of U.N. peacekeeping forces. That Israeli desire for war knows no bounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies