Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 03:57 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Without my Canadian universal healthcare I pay NO premiums for (yes, my taxes are marginally higher than in the USA, but we get value for that), I would be bankrupt and destitute after my 3.5 month stay in ICU 15 years ago.

Need a hip replaced? Yeah, you will wait longer than in the USA, but that is often a life style affliction. Need emergency or urgent care? It's there in spades and now.

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP than the USA with a better outcome.. Canadians live longer. In the end, that is the only thing that matters.

I had to go to Quebec on a business trip a few years ago.

My Canadian counterpart was suffering from a hernia, which brought up the subject of healthcare.

He said he had to wait four months for his surgery, but that was ok because it gave him time to save up the $4000.00 that he had to pay towards it.

I said, I thought it was all free here??

He politely and discreetly told me that I was misinformed.

BTW, Canada can afford to spend gobs of money on healthcare in no small part because America pays for lion's share of it's national defense costs.

Your welcome.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:09 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Government is terrible at running any service like this because there is no incentive for efficiency nor customer care. NONE. Non-starter.

Just look at the VA for their delivery model. Big, bloated inefficient bureaucracy designed to sustain itself and grow. An employment agency for INCOMPETENTS. Check out the compensation packages for administrators.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Without my Canadian universal healthcare I pay NO premiums for (yes, my taxes are marginally higher than in the USA, but we get value for that), I would be bankrupt and destitute after my 3.5 month stay in ICU 15 years ago.

Need a hip replaced? Yeah, you will wait longer than in the USA, but that is often a life style affliction. Need emergency or urgent care? It's there in spades and now.

Canada spends 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP than the USA with a better outcome.. Canadians live longer. In the end, that is the only thing that matters.
Why do Canadians come here to get medical care?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 AM

Everyones premiums will have to go up again and again as we now have hundreds of thousands more illegals to take care of for free. We pay for the freebie treatment through our premiums... the money to pay for illegals comes out of the paying customer and this has always been.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:20 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Everyones premiums will have to go up again and again as we now have hundreds of thousands more illegals to take care of for free. We pay for the freebie treatment through our premiums... the money to pay for illegals comes out of the paying customer and this has always been.

Exactly.

"Universal healthcare" will never work in America until we get control over immigration and end the welfare state.

You can't have a system where a large percentage of the people who benefit from it don't pay into it in any meaningful way.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Branson View Post
I’m from Austria, where we have a decentralized single-payer healthcare system.

99.9% of the population has health insurance via shared employer/employee contributions, or if unemployed/sick/retired/disabled via the health insurance provider.

Wait times for surgeries or appointments are not too long and the single-payer health care provider is usually running a budget surplus every year.

https://www.sozialversicherung.at/cd...ion=1621948595
Do you have hundreds of thousands of illegals coming over your border to get free health care? We do.

The hospitals have to charge more for everything to stay afloat with all the free treatment to illegals. This translates to higher premiums because the insurance companies had to pay higher costs to the hospitals for all those freebies given out.. the paying customer is also paying for the free treatment to illegals. This will also transpire into any government healthcare program.

Many Americans go without healthcare and if they do show up at the hospital they have to pay unlike illegals who the hospitals let them slide because they are looked at as charity cases.. not the poor Americans who have to pay every dollar.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:25 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
For it but we have a system to prevent it.
Big pharma own congress so we pay 1.5 to 10X as much for the exact same drug. Congress threatens on this then big pharma pulls hard on their leash on congress.
Big hospitals own congress and state legislatures. Monopoly all over the place. Add in out of network providers infesting hospitals all over the place that are in NO networks so they charge what they want.
Too much reliance on hospitals over clinics.

The US is run by and for billionaires when the issue is anything economic.

I would favor a national health insurance somewhat like medicare with copays and deductibles. Think of it as "everyone gets a hamburger". Paid for by an 8% +8% payroll tax. If you want steak, you can get it from the private sector much like the extra insurance seniors buy today in the US.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:38 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
If you're against Obamacare, single-payer, and Medicare For All, do you consider that it's a bad idea because it's a government takeover of medical care?

If so, the chances are that you were cleverly manipulated by Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster who tested various biased phrases, and advocated the phrase "government takeover" as the best to scare people off.

Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'
In the spring of 2009, a Republican strategist settled on a brilliant and powerful attack line for President Barack Obama's ambitious plan to overhaul America's health insurance system. Frank Luntz, a consultant famous for his phraseology, urged GOP leaders to call it a "government takeover."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...r-health-care/
The responsibilities of the federal government is spelled out in the Constitution. Universal health care is NOT one of them.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:42 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I guess that's why so many Americans get their RX's filled at Canadian Pharmacies. Cheaper.
And why do so many Canadians come to America for treatment?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:45 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I am pro Universal Healthcare at the same level members of the Senate and House get.

In other words, excellent healthcare for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies